Moving 4 hours from the nearest Acura Dealer!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2002, 10:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving 4 hours from the nearest Acura Dealer!

I'm potentially moving to Charlevoix, Michigan which is four hours away from the nearest Acura dealer in Grand Rapids. There's a Honda dealer in Traverse City which is about an hour away. What do those of you that are far away from a dealer do for service? Can a Honda dealer service an Acura? If I have a mechanical failure will TLC tow the car to the dealer if its so far away? To make things worse, my second car is also an Acura. Aaaagh!
Old 01-05-2002, 11:21 AM
Banned

Re: Moving 4 hours from the nearest Acura Dealer!

Originally posted by BarryH
I'm potentially moving to Charlevoix, Michigan which is four hours away from the nearest Acura dealer in Grand Rapids. There's a Honda dealer in Traverse City which is about an hour away. What do those of you that are far away from a dealer do for service? Can a Honda dealer service an Acura? If I have a mechanical failure will TLC tow the car to the dealer if its so far away? To make things worse, my second car is also an Acura. Aaaagh!
You can get all scheduled maintenence and service, and all customer-paid repairs done at any Honda dealership. They use OEM parts and their work will not void your warranty. However, claims and repairs made under warranty (that corporate Acura is going to pay for) have to be done at an Acura dealer. Likewise, if the car is towed by TLC because it won't start, and it's under the warranty period, they are going to tow it to an Acura dealer to fix there. Any repairs they make under warranty won't get reimbursed by corporate Acura unless it is done at one of their own dealerships.
Old 01-05-2002, 11:22 AM
Racer

Quite a move, Hoboken to the boonies My guess is you'll be OK using the Honda dealer for regular maintainance, the air filter I think is standard and you can always take your own Mobil 1, or whatever. My buddy in Peoria used the local Honda dealer there for everything except for the major services, he used to drive up to Chicago for that. I would reccomend driving to the nearest Acura dealer for the major services, 7500/15000 etc. Unless you can find a quality local shop wgo will go thru the entire checklist. And of course keep your fingers crossed that there no major problems w/ your TLS.
Old 01-06-2002, 04:22 PM
Oracle Apps/Database Dude

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Call the 800 # Acura customer service and get their opinion/recommendation..
Old 01-07-2002, 09:05 AM
Pro

On the "up" side, my wife has a buddy that lived in Traverse City for 4 years and he loved it (even tho he's a city boy).....we hear it's very beautiful there.
Old 01-07-2002, 10:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Hey, in this job market you do what you've got to do. From what I've heard, NW Michican is beautiful with water sports in the summer and the Boyne Mountain ski resort a half hour away in the winter. I'm going there for the first time this weekend to check it out. If all else fails, Chicago is less than an hour from Traverse City by air so I can weekend there for excitement.

As for Acura TLC, they were clueless. I did find in the warranty book that if the car has a major failure more than 50 miles from a dealership that Acura will reimburse you for getting it repaired at a non-Acura facility. That's great but - A) I wouldn't want a major repair done by a non-Acura facility and B) I'm sure Joe's Garage doesn't have Acura parts just sitting on a shelf. Oh well, let's hope that famous Acura reliability holds true.
Old 01-07-2002, 01:53 PM
Racer

Hey if I didn't have to work for a living I'd be living in a log cabin in the Rockies today
Old 01-07-2002, 07:23 PM
Intermediate

My wife and I are planning a move to the the island of Hawaii (the big island). No Acura dealer on the island! Tough drive to Honolulu! Don't know if I'll take the TL-S or sell it here. One consideration is the smaller amount of driving one tends to do living on an island. Maybe an old Jeep would do me better.
Old 01-07-2002, 07:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by AlaskaAl
My wife and I are planning a move to the the island of Hawaii (the big island). No Acura dealer on the island! Tough drive to Honolulu! Don't know if I'll take the TL-S or sell it here. One consideration is the smaller amount of driving one tends to do living on an island. Maybe an old Jeep would do me better.

LOL, that never dawned on me. Theres only one Acura dealer in HI I believe, Pflueger Acura in Honolulu(those lucky guys have Acura market cornered). What the hell do the folks on the big island do? I wonder if shipping it is a option? Yes it's kind of a ridiculous idea I know

BTW, I guess you didn't get the Navi huh?
Old 01-07-2002, 08:01 PM
Intermediate

Shipping a car from California to Hawaii is standard, and often sensible business.

Shipping it between islands for service? LOLROTF etc.

Come to think of it, my wife's mechanic flies over to Hawaii to service his mother's car. Takes parts and tools as necessary.

You're right--no NAV. But not because of the Hawaii move. I've just always had great navigational sense and memory. PO's my wife since she uses Mapquest to go across town.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:36 AM
Pro

Is your company taking you over to hawaii or you just moving there on your own? What is Livermore like? My wife may have to go there (as the company she works for has an office there).
Old 01-08-2002, 09:20 PM
Intermediate

TL4Mo,

We're simply retiring--at least from the high tech grind--so we're paying our own way.

Livermore is in a valley 40 miles east of San Francisco, stradling Interstate 580. About 80,00 people in Livermore, and also in similar neighboring communities of Pleasanton and Dublin. Weather is hot (and comfortably dry) in the summer and cool (but seldom freezing) in the winter. Livermore is 300 ft above sea lever and surounded by hills/mountains to 3,900 ft (Mt. Diablo). We have sixteen wineries in the extended valley, some dating to the 1880s. Livermore was known as a "cowboy" town (we have a rodeo) until the 1950s when LLNL (Lawerence Livermore National Laboratory) was built. LLNL is a square mile complex dedicated to fusion power research and the research and design of America's nuclear weapons. No, our drinking water does not glow in the dark--on my end of town. What can I say that is negative? Commuting to Silicon Valley is agony.

My I ask who your wife works for?