Moved to Hawaii - Poor, poor me, my navigation system dead

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 11:14 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moved to Hawaii - Poor, poor me, my navigation system dead

It makes me frown to think that I have a $2000 user interface for the air conditioning. At least I was able to use it for a few years (2000 Acura TL3.2 Gold) before shipping the car down to Hawaii.

Maybe Acura thinks Hawaiian TL owners don't need a Navi because the island is small, or maybe the Hawaiian TL owners just don't know what they're missing and don't complain. But I miss my navi a ton, especially moving to a new place with very confusing, non-grid-like streets. Is there a petition I can sign to get Acura to make a Hawaii DVD, or some entity who will log my complaint in a manner that might matter?

Assuming no DVD happens... What are my options? Is there anything for me to do with the screen the navigation system used - like mod it to watch movies (I won't watch TV while driving, I promise), or maybe put in a XM radio system that uses the screen for it's interface? Or possibly rip out the system and do something else with the dashboard real-estate? (But of course, if I did the latter then I would lose the ability to manually set the AC power level/vent directions.)

Sigh.

-Dan
Old 09-23-2003, 11:58 PM
Banned

Sorry to hear man, I use my navigation all the time, and to not have it would be a broken limb for me. I feel your pain.. ouch!
Old 09-24-2003, 12:09 AM
Race Director

Um mod it so you can play dvd's, local channels, play mp3 cd's and show id3 tags on screen, play PS2..

that is so gay..

So no one in hawaii has a navi in the Current TL?

Sounds like canada
Old 09-24-2003, 02:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup ... the only way to make use of the screen is to hook it up to a DVD player. How about a rear camera ?

Cheers !!!
Old 09-24-2003, 02:37 AM
Race Director

Originally posted by drcookie
Yup ... the only way to make use of the screen is to hook it up to a DVD player. How about a rear camera ?

Cheers !!!
yup if you get the receiver and convert the rgb signal than you can hook up a rear view camera, dvd player, ps2, antennas for local channels
Old 09-24-2003, 07:30 AM
Racer

i believe that it is a matter of satelite coverage in hawaii, not the actual dvd having the data on it...

i'm pretty sure this is what the dealerships told my parents when they were buying cars in hawaii....
Old 09-24-2003, 07:49 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by steveinathens
i believe that it is a matter of satelite coverage in hawaii, not the actual dvd having the data on it...

i'm pretty sure this is what the dealerships told my parents when they were buying cars in hawaii....
Satelitte coverage is as good in Hawaii as anywhere else in the world! Absence of vendor supplied map data is the problem.

Larry
Old 09-24-2003, 08:01 AM
Racer

Satelitte coverage is as good in Hawaii as anywhere else in the world!
maybe that is the case for military satelites, but i'm not sure this is true for commercial satelites...

for example, dish network has a different channel lineup just for hawaii. you can't just choose the regular channel packages you have on the mainland, you have to choose the hawaii package and its very limited compared to the packages available on the mainland. this was the case about 2 years ago...
Old 09-24-2003, 08:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 2004TL
Um mod it so you can play dvd's, local channels, play mp3 cd's and show id3 tags on screen, play PS2..

that is so gay..

So no one in hawaii has a navi in the Current TL?

Sounds like canada
I take that as an insult

Whatever I don't know why Acura doesn't have NAVI available in these cars. Tons of other car manufacturers put it in their cars...

oh well!
Old 09-24-2003, 08:12 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Re: Moved to Hawaii - Poor, poor me, my navigation system dead

Originally posted by ddubois
It makes me frown to think that I have a $2000 user interface for the air conditioning. At least I was able to use it for a few years (2000 Acura TL3.2 Gold) before shipping the car down to Hawaii.
Man, just be happy you are in Hawaii! I wish I was.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:38 AM
Instructor

maybe that is the case for military satelites, but i'm not sure this is true for commercial satelites...
The sats serve the entire world. They are for both military and civilian use.
Acura/Alpine should update the maps.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:42 AM
Racer

hmmm, then why does it say this on dish networks site?

"Areas outside the Continental United States will usually need a larger dish to receive an adequate signal."

and this

"Customers residing in Alaska, Puerto Rico or Hawaii are not able to receive the 110 satellite signal or any of the channels broadcast from this satellite with the standard 20 inch dish."

i'm just curious, i'm not a satelite expert by no means....
Old 09-24-2003, 08:58 AM
Instructor

hmmm, then why does it say this on dish networks site?
Completely different satellites. Dish is a stationary geosynch and GPS is multiple orbits. I used a handheld Garmin in Maui and Kauai for hiking and driving about a year ago. No different than what our cars have. Acura is dropping the ball in paradise.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:01 AM
Racer

interesting! where did you go diving in maui?
Old 09-24-2003, 09:05 AM
Racer

Steveinathens,
I have no idea why you are talking about satellite tv and trying to compare that with the global gps satellites. These are not the same satellites systems. There are tons of satellites in orbit around the globe. The GPS system of satellites provides 100% global coverage. It is used by planes, boats, and multitude of land uses like measuring earthquake fault lines and not just cars.

Satellite tv has its own satellites and they provide coverage for whatever markets they are set for. Satellite tv has thier satellites in geostationary orbits. They never move in relation to the globe. They stay directly above the same point all the time. GPS satellites on the other hand (there are over 24 of them) are constantly moving and chaning their possition.

XM and Sirus satellite radio is yet a different bunch of satellites. These are also in geostationary orbits.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:11 AM
Racer

I have no idea why you are talking about satellite tv and trying to compare that with the global gps satellites.
i have no idea either man, i dont know **** about it, i was just curious thats all. obviously i was wrong. no big deal....
Old 09-24-2003, 09:36 AM
Instructor

just curious thats all
Nothing at all wrong with curiosity... leads to knowledge and we could all use a little more.
Did not get to dive in my trip to the islands but I hear Molokini is excellent.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:47 AM
Racer

the visibility is incredible at molokini !!!! a bad day there would be 100ft, but usually 150+! even though its kinda touristy to go out there, its worth it. i've had some cool white tip reef shark experiences there and manta ray's as well. and depending on which mooring they tie to, there is some nice coral gardens there with good fish life. but really, the attraction there is the visibility.

i can highly recommend trips over to Lanai as well. cool lava tubes and such to dive in...
Old 09-24-2003, 03:40 PM
Instructor

I would be surprised if it were a hardware issue that prevents the GPS from working in Hawaii. In all likelihood, it's simply the absence of map data. If this is the case, does anyone know if the upcoming uber-DVD update will include Hawaii?

Danny
Old 09-24-2003, 03:58 PM
Racer

Since not everyone has the Navi option I'll share some insight about it. Those of you that have it ......haven't you even scrolled all the way to the edge of the map to see how far it goes??? If you do you will notice that it doesn't have to do with no road data as much as it has to do with the fact that the map ends when you leave the continental US. So If you put the car on the globe outside of the map area obviously it won't work.

Steveinathens, Question for you. What does the screen look like since you are outside of map coverage area? Any error messages? How about going into the hidden GPS menu and seeing how many satellites you are picking up? In this screen you should also get a latitude, longitued and altitude. Perhaps this still works. So I predict it won't be of much good as a Navigation System but I think you will be able to pull GPS location data.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:46 PM
Instructor

Hawaii is not supported simply due to no map data availability (there is also a marketing reason for the lack of support). There is no crippling of the hardware, though. With that said, I would imagine the GPS would be able to trilaterally determine its position just fine in the islands, but with no supporting map data, you'll be relegated to latitude and longitude information only. Needless to say, that isn't very useful for navigating. Sounds like there are no plans to support Hawaii, either. Anyway, this info comes from my contact at Honda R&D.

Danny
Old 09-24-2003, 07:53 PM
Pro

dude.... you live in hawaii, you have nothing to complain about
j/k
that does seem to be a design flaw

a couple of my buddies are living in kuwai (spelling?) right now. i'm jealous
Old 09-24-2003, 08:35 PM
Drifting

how much does it cost to get a car shipped?
Old 09-24-2003, 11:39 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks for all the responses!

1)
What's the marketing reason? Other car vendors have navigation systems I'm told.

2)
It's about $900 to get a normal-sized car shipped from California to Hawaii.

3)
I had actually found some threads about converting the screen to a DVD player after my post, but they left my head spinning. I can hook up my cable to my VCR to my TV, but if it involves buying obscure parts from Austrailia, reading several wire diagrams, and getting myself a soldering iron and some electrical tape, I want nothing to do with it.

Maybe there's someone in Hawaii who will professionally hook up my system? Anyone know of any?
Old 09-25-2003, 01:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Black-n-Tan
dude.... you live in hawaii, you have nothing to complain about
j/k
that does seem to be a design flaw

a couple of my buddies are living in kuwai (spelling?) right now. i'm jealous
In past visits I've driven rental cars around four of the islands. Pretty hard to get lost. There are really only three directions you can go-up the mountain, down the mountain, or around the mountain.
Old 09-25-2003, 02:24 PM
Instructor

I think i'd trade you my home in PA and my Navi for your navi-less setup in Hawaii......
Old 09-25-2003, 02:33 PM
Racer

Steveinathens, Question for you. What does the screen look like since you are outside of map coverage area?
i AM inside the coverage area. i live in Georgia. my parents live on maui and i travel out there 2 times a year, that's why i chimed in on this thread... sorry for the confusion
Old 09-25-2003, 07:54 PM
Instructor

The marketing reason seems pretty straightforward. Only 2% of cars sold in Hawaii add the GPS option (that's not my data -- it comes from elsewhere). Adding Hawaii coverage increases the cost of the system, which ends up being passed on to the buyer. I guess Honda believes it's better to pass on the savings to the general mainland population that tends to have a greater tendency to purchase a GPS system. Being from Honolulu myself, I doubt I'd ever consider purchasing a GPS in any car I purchased there. The island is just not very large (well, most of the islands anyway), and obviously you're pretty much stuck in the 50th state where the rest of the maps won't do you any good

Danny