Mounting an Amp in the Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 03:50 PM
Athena says 'hi'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mounting an Amp in the Trunk

Here's the Deal --

I really need to know where I should mount an amp in my trunk. I want to mount it right next to the ski hatch, but I don't know how to keep it from coming out -- or how to keep it steady there. I decided to buy a piece of wood to screw it into the back -- and attach the amp to it -- but I don't know where I can attach the piece of wood so it's completely stable. Please help me!

Old 08-18-2004, 04:07 PM
Instructor

Thats not too hard to do (you have the right idea). You should remove all the trunk trim panels first. This will probably will require removing the rear seatback...I know you have to do this on 2002+ TLs. Once the trim panels are removed, you can get a good idea of what the existing frame/structure is around the seat back (on the trunk-facing side).

You will need to cut a wood mounting panel in a shape that will fit on the seat back. You might want to try using existing holes in the factory substructure panels to avoid drilling. Drilling is fine, but some people want to be able to leave the vehicle completely stock. You may need to make the wood panel larger than necessary so you can utilize the stock holes in the factory substructure.

Then reinstall the trunk trim panels and mount the amp to the board. This will just leave 4 small holes in the trunk trim panels.

As a note - most seatbacks (TL included) are sloped more than 90 degrees. You should use caution when mounting an amp at an angle more than 90 degrees. Ideally the heatsink (top of amp) should face up for cooling purposes. If the heatsink is pointing down, then the heat radiates thru the bottom of the amp which results in poor cooling and potential amp damage. The angle it will be mounted at will probably not be a problem in your particular case (especially if the amp is not driven hard) but its still something to be aware of.

[edit] - There is a car audio section on this site...a moderator will/should probably move this post to that forum.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:20 PM
Missing my Acura's

Mount It To The Box Worked For Me And When Ya Look Through The Arm Rest You Can Have Access To Adjust The Amp Through There And When The Arm Rest Is Open And The Amp Lights Up People Always Say What Is That ? That Is Hot! Lol Just My .02$
Old 08-18-2004, 07:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure how big your amp is. If you have a small one, you could mount it like this:
http://www.drcook.net/images/acura-tls/subs/amp-2.jpg

Since the amp was installed at an angle, if you are mounting a big amp like this, you might want to add an additional cooling fun to desipate the heat.

Just my $0.02.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by drcookie
Not sure how big your amp is. If you have a small one, you could mount it like this:
http://www.drcook.net/images/acura-tls/subs/amp-2.jpg
Yup, thats basically how you want to mount it. I would mount the wood under the stock trim panels tho.