More Zaino Q's

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2002, 01:32 AM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question More Zaino Q's

Ok,
It turns out a customer i did some work for and didnt charge sent me the Zaino kit as a thankyou. I guess the subject came up when i complimented him on his '94 Supra TT, so he just kinda shipped it to me without me knowing...

Surfing through the topics, some people say one thing while others say another. So if i tell you guys what i have, i would appreciate input on which steps first.

OK:
i got Z1, Z2, Z5, Z6, Z7, ZFX. No clay bar.

'99 TL (need that clay bar)
46,000 miles
Satin Silver

I know the swirl marks are there, i just cant see them all that well, should i even bother with the Z5? or just use Z2? ZFX the Z2? bahhh... spray Z6 after or before Z2.. BAHHHH!!!!!
People keep changing the order it should be done in, cant seem to get a majority answer...

Any inupt, my god like TL superiors???

-Shear
Old 12-04-2002, 07:37 AM
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 41 Posts
Here's what I did, I followed what most people here have said and what is stated in the directions from Zaino:

wash with Dawn
clay bar
wash with Dawn again
apply the Z1, let dry just a little
apply Z5, with ZFX added, over the Z1. let dry and buff off
apply Z2, with ZFX added, let dry and buff off
apply Z6

You can then add more coats of Z2 and/or Z5 with application of Z6 inbetween.

Additional coats of Z5 will help to hide the swirl marks better (up to 5 coats according to Zaino)
Additional coats of Z2 will improve the shine
Old 12-04-2002, 08:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally posted by kcroberge
Here's what I did, I followed what most people here have said and what is stated in the directions from Zaino:

wash with Dawn
clay bar
wash with Dawn again
apply the Z1, let dry just a little
apply Z5, with ZFX added, over the Z1. let dry and buff off
apply Z2, with ZFX added, let dry and buff off
apply Z6
You don't need Z1 if you use ZFX. It takes the place of it.

As for swirls, your best bet is to take your car to a mall parking lot at night under the lights and see if they're there. Those lights show everything.

I would suggest building up layers of Z5 first. It has some fillers in it which should minimize the swirls. Then switch to Z2. Remember only 3 coats of Z2 or Z5 or any combination per 24 hour period with ZFX. More than than and you're just wasting product. And very very very very light coats. So light you'll think it's not going on the car.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with NSXNEXT - I use the same process.

I would check with Sal and see if he would let you trade in the Z1 for something else - extra bottle of his car wash soap or something, not needed since you have the ZFX.

And his emphasis on light applications is absolutely correct, I'll bet the first time you put it on and you think your putting on a light coat it will be way too much... thats how light.

On a dark color I put it on light enough that you have to have good lighting and the right angle to see the haze. It was really hard to get past that 'put it on like wax' tendency.

If you get smearing when you taking it off you probably put it on too heavy.
Old 12-05-2002, 02:36 PM
www.cardomain.com/id/perr

Angry

NSXNEXT is correct those the proper procedures to follow. Depending on you location I recommend you leave the Z5 with ZFX on the car for about 30 minutes to give it a chance to settle with the wintery weather. I wish it was warm enough here for me to detail my car with some Zaino

Old 12-05-2002, 03:26 PM
Instructor

Yep. don't need the Z1 if you have ZFX (which gets mixed with Z2 and Z5). Z6 is great. It's used between coats of Z2 and Z5 and at the end to put a glossy finish on and remove dust. It is also great for touch ups between washes.

I would definitely claybar too at the beginning. Use Dawn, Claybar, Dawn again, and then start the Z2 or Z5.

It's pretty simple and straight forward once you jump in and just start doing it. Check out the ZainoBros web site.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:31 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I've asked this question before and didnt get an answer ... if you use ZFX do you need to use it EACH time you wax the car with Z2/Z5? Z1 is a one time application every 6 months and then you can just simply put the Z2 or Z5 on plain and let it dry. If ZFX must be applied EACH time, then it sounds like you would need to spend a lot of money buying tons of ZFX since 1 order only gives you about 2-4 wax coats. I used ZFX the first time I applied Z2, but have not used it since then, opting to only use Z2 by itself and let it dry for 30 minutes on warm days and overnight on cold days.
Old 12-05-2002, 10:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by LiQiCE
I've asked this question before and didnt get an answer ... if you use ZFX do you need to use it EACH time you wax the car with Z2/Z5? Z1 is a one time application every 6 months and then you can just simply put the Z2 or Z5 on plain and let it dry. If ZFX must be applied EACH time, then it sounds like you would need to spend a lot of money buying tons of ZFX since 1 order only gives you about 2-4 wax coats. I used ZFX the first time I applied Z2, but have not used it since then, opting to only use Z2 by itself and let it dry for 30 minutes on warm days and overnight on cold days.
u dont have to, but u can
Old 12-06-2002, 12:13 AM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sweet guys thanks... ill ask sal if i can swap the Z1 for the clay bar... its plenty hot in FL to do it whenever.

As for light light coats, man, thats gunna SUCK. i can barley see the haze of standard wax on my car, ill bet your right when you guys say ill put too much on the first time.

What i decided to do is to do a test run on my buddies Avus Blue M5, that way we really know how much is enough.... it should be alot easier to see the stuff on his car, that way i have an idea.

thanks for all your help guys, you rock!!
Old 12-06-2002, 10:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Don't need to use Z-FX, but it dramatically shortens your curing times. You can put three coats on in half a day instead of being an all day + project.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:01 PM
Burning Brakes

I know this is an old thread........but I have a question. I just got the ZFX and Z2...........so I use the ZFX combined with the Z2 each coat, or just the initial layer? I want to put several coats on, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to layer the ZFX with the Z2, or just put an initial coat of ZFX with Z2, followed up by coats of Z2 by itself. lol I know that sounds slightly confusing.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ZFX eliminates the need of the "base coat" of Z1...but it's primary use is that it helps cure the coat of Z2 or Z5 faster
Old 06-11-2003, 09:03 AM
Instructor

with ZFX you also dont have to wait 24 hours to put on another coat.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

It speeds up your curing times, you can pretty much do back to back coats (approx 20 minutes inbetween). No more than 3 coats in a 24 hour period. I just did 6 over a long weekend.

The Porter Cable 7424 Polisher is awesome ! I started with that and the 3M SMR what a finish to start covering with Zaino... my baby shines now !