Modding the suspension for under $500

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 11:05 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modding the suspension for under $500

I realize there are literally TONS of threads in regards to suspension mods, but this one at least puts a cap on the $$$ one can spend.

I am looking to tighten up my suspension on my TLS. Well, the car is unmodified when it comes to shocks, springs, sways, wheels, and tires.

I basically want to tighten up my body roll around corners, and wouldn't mind a lowered look. Logically I would think sways for reducing body roll, but I heard sways + stock tires = bad. Basically, I have $500 to work with for parts. Don't worry about installation cost.

This price limit basically puts coilovers out of the picture.

So options:

1) CT sways, and new tires
2) Aftermarket springs + sways

Any advice?
Old 04-22-2003, 11:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Re: Modding the suspension for under $500

Originally posted by paxus

So options:

1) CT sways, and new tires
2) Aftermarket springs + sways

Any advice?
Now, you realize that you have 2 options, but you're going to get about 12 different replies, right (including from me)??

Anyway, I'd actually do Springs and tires. This is the route I went and damn... what a difference. I actually had the rims/tires first and immediately noticed a difference... but after I lowered the car the body roll almost completly dissapeared and wow.. how sweet it is. I'm going to do sways eventually, but honestly... I don't feel I need them yet. The combo of the new rims/tires with the springs totally improves the handling.

The flaws I see in your options are:

1) Sways and Tires - your car will handle better... however, you will still have a decent amount of body roll b/c you'll still be sitting at the stock ride height.

2) Aftermarket Springs/Sways - will improve handling significantly, but you would still be keeping the biggest problem of the car.. and that's the stock tires.

Again, those are my opinions based on what I did.... hope it helps and doesn't confuse you
Old 04-22-2003, 11:22 AM
Banned

i say go with tires and lowering springs.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:29 AM
Drifting

sways do amazing stuff. Springs will also do amazing stuff and make your car look x10000000000 better.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:11 PM
Instructor

I originally wanted to overhaul the whole suspension, but really didn't want to shell out that much money so I had to come to the compromise. I think lowering my car will make it look better and improve the handling somewhat. The tires are the main thing I suppose.

I will be able to afford springs (typically ~ $250) and tires? That means I can find better tires for $60 each? I would have thought better tires would end up costing about $75 each.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:42 PM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
You don't have enough money for good tires if you get something else...Sorry...
You ought to get the springs and sways if this is all you go, or jsut get springs and wait for another mod sometime later (my favorite suggestion).
I've got only springs and the car corners so well, if I went any faster I'd eat my 18's to h=ll. I have no interest in going any quicker in a turn only to replace my tires much sooner...
Old 04-22-2003, 03:08 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want all positive and no negatives then the sways+tires combo is the best. Springs may make the car look better...but depending on where you live, having a scrapped up front lip might not be an option.
Old 04-22-2003, 03:30 PM
TL-S driver

Decent tires cost over $150 each and rims, forget it, your well over your $500 limit. I'd stay with the spings or the sway bars. I have 18" rims with 225/40/18's on my car and I noticed a HUGE difference when it comes to handeling. Save up and get rims and tires, makes a world of a difference!
Old 04-22-2003, 03:32 PM
Racer

Good tires for the stock rims

Its just about time for me to get new tires on my 03 NBP TLS and I was wondering which tires have people been buying and had good results with, handling wise. PS I need tires to fit on the stock rims.
Thank you
Old 04-22-2003, 07:36 PM
Instructor

Will the tires be summer tires or all-season? Also, don't forget to factor in install costs for springs/sways.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:27 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Are you planning on installing yourself? If not, you're looking at around ~$300 for installation alone if you do sways + springs, assuming you goto some sortof performance shop and not the dealer who will charge you more but will warranty the work.

I think when I ordered my springs/sways (Comptech), they ran around $550 for the two pieces.

That puts springs *and* sways way out of your price range. If you're paying for installation, you may have to just go for one of the two.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:29 PM
Instructor

Now this leads to the question of recommendations for spring and sways install in Socal. Any suggestions?
Old 04-22-2003, 09:51 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
As the first phase, I would go with the sways and springs. There are some good values out there on used parts so check the "For Sale" areas here and on A-CL. The rear sway will give you the most bang for the buck. Neuspeed sells bars as individual units and Comptech sells the sways as a set.

Once you put these parts in, you'll find the money for tires. It's either that or you'll grind the tires away and that situation will make your next purchase decision for you. Even though the stock tires suck, you might as well get the most out of them instead of wasting them - especially if money is tight.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:33 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Allout
As the first phase, I would go with the sways and springs. There are some good values out there on used parts so check the "For Sale" areas here and on A-CL. The rear sway will give you the most bang for the buck. Neuspeed sells bars as individual units and Comptech sells the sways as a set.

Once you put these parts in, you'll find the money for tires. It's either that or you'll grind the tires away and that situation will make your next purchase decision for you. Even though the stock tires suck, you might as well get the most out of them instead of wasting them - especially if money is tight.
Good point. Why not get all the use out of my stock tires? I think I have made the decision to opt for sways and springs.

And as I originally mentioned, the $500 was just for parts. I didn't want you guys to have to worry about install costs. The thing is that I came into $500 recently, and you know I had to mod the car with that money. I'll pay for the install one way or another.

Thanks a lot for your inputs guys. Much appreciated.