mobil 1 0W-20 are available

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 10:56 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mobil 1 0W-20 are available

i just saw it in walmart. for people who are currently using mobil 1 5W-30, will u guys switch it to 0W-20?
Old 05-15-2003, 12:06 AM
Burning Brakes

only if i'm taking a trip to the north pole.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:26 AM
Pro

Pep boys Sells Mobil 1 SuperSyn 0-W-30 and 5-W-30. It seems very weird for them to also market 0-W-20? Is that Mobil 1 full synthetic?

I use 2.6 quarts of 5-W-30 and 2 quarts of 0-W-30 when I change my oil. Does that make any sense towards trying to create something closer to 5-W-20? I used to use strictly 5-W-30 Mobil 1 SyperSyn, but noticed the gas mileage did suffer about 2mpg. So the last change I tried the mix...

Any thoughts?
Old 05-15-2003, 06:14 AM
5th Gear

Ever try Amsoil?

I have been using Amsoil 0-W30 in my 2003 TL-S
(yes, I said "zero") and I find it is excellent. I'm getting an average 2 mpg improvement in highway mileage. Amsoil is rather pricey but worth every penny in my opinion. You can have them ship your order to your door so there's no hunting around town for it. And I'm using their high quality oil filters too. Anyone else out there using Amsoil? Your observations please?
Old 05-15-2003, 06:46 AM
Instructor

i found that in Walmart too, there must be a reason that they put Special formulated for newer Ford and Honda engines...

check the last couple post there, i have a mobil 1 link there.
http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=55808
Old 05-15-2003, 08:01 AM
Burning Brakes

man southbound PLEASE check-out the pratice of mixing wieghts of oil
"I use 2.6 quarts of 5-W-30 and 2 quarts of 0-W-30 when I change my oil. Does that make any sense towards trying to create something closer to 5-W-20?"
from what i've read you should try to NEVER mix oil weights or brands.each weight and brand have a very specific chemistry,and mixing them screws that up.
I seem to remember your from so cal(orange co) with the weather we have out here,it doesnt justify even switching weights from winter to summer months.
i believe some more educated answers from some oil manu. web sites WILL support my advise.
and even if thats ecceptable to do since it synthetic what you have created is more like 2.5-w-30

BTW how's everything going with the fenderbender?
Old 05-15-2003, 10:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
i dont think theres really a problem mixing them however if yuo know how oil works you'd know by mixing anything with x/w30 and y/w30 you're still gonna have x+y/w30 you have like 2.5w 30..oh and BTW 0-w30 for a couple years now
Old 05-16-2003, 01:36 AM
Pro

YES, I UNDERSTAND THAT I'M CREATING SOMETHING LIKE 2.5-W-30. I realize that "in theory" I'm only getting oil to the engine quicker at cold starts, while at full temp highway speeds, I'm getting the protection of 30W.

Yet if that is really true... How do you explain the post from Barry Pokrass that claims he gets a couple of miles per gallon better mileage with 0w30??? If it's all the same as 30 weight after the first mile, why would this matter? Also Why is typeR using 0-W-30 when living in warm Florida?

I don't feel comfortable using the lightweight 5-w-20 oil especially in the summer with drives to Arizona and Vegas. I applaud those that go to the extra effort of locating amsoil and redline. But for me, I feel that MOBIL 1 synthetic should provide very good protection. I was just fooling around with the options of coming up with a mix between 0w30 and 5w30. Just to see if it helped the gas mileage as it has with Barry. I figured it couldn't hurt with quicker lubrication upon startup. I Don't think that my experiment warrants a lecture, and I DON'T think that you'll come up with any hard evidence against mixing weights of the SAME oil product. Especially this close of a mix... ON the other hand, it may make no practical sense to do it either?

Of course I could be wrong... That's why I've asked for opinions here. I'll probably just go back to using all 5-w30 Mobil 1 SyperSyn. Especially out here in So Cal... like you say Yield2S, it never gets that cold here to be a real factor.

P.S. Yield, It's strange that you asked about my fender bender. I just got the car back today... and IT IS SWEET!!! The shop did a terrific job and it looks like the day I bought it. They completely detailed the car, and I had forgotten just how awesome that ABP color is under the sun! $1,800 bucks later, but I'm HAPPY! I was really concerned about the ability to match paint, etc. BUT IT's PERFECT!

I rented an 03 Maxima SE with the 3.5L engine. I'm sorry, but that car was a POS! I had considered this car before buying my TLS. Man was I glad to get my TLS back! The two cars are NOT in the same league. I have a renewed sense of appreciation for our TLS. Granted, it was a rental so it had the horrid cloth seats... but other than that, the handling completlely sucked. It is peppy off the line... but all it would do is wheel hop and torque steer the wheel to the right whenever I half romped on it from a stop. It had Bridgestone Potenza 225/50/R17 tires on it. I thought that they were supposed to be good tires? In this case, they squealed and chirped whenever I got on a freeway ramp at any kind of speed. The cornering was hideous. The wheel had that "squirrely" feel to it whenever going around a tight turn, like you were riding on a ball bearing that would squirt out from under you. Perhaps it was the rack and pinion steering?, but I didn't like it. It has good pep off of the line, but at 70mph it has no guts. The TLS would smoke one on the highway with a cruising start at 70-75mph. So we've got better passing capability on the highway. Just step on the TLS at 75 and it drops down into 3rd gear with the VTEC launch soon to follow. Stomp on the Maxima at that speed, and you just sit back and wait for something to happen, while the rpm slowing rises. So while the Maxima might be faster from 0-30, it does NOT have that hyperbolic power curve VTEC thrill and it gives out at 70mph, unless you do a radical downshift into second at 70mph... and I wouldn't want to have to do that everytime I just wanted to pass some truck or buzzer on the road. It is also a rattle trap and the engine is quite raspy. Perhaps that is the timing chain instead of a timing belt... but in any case, it sounds like it's ready to rattle apart and throw a rod... where the TLS has that SWEET, almost throaty V8 growl once it hits VTEC.

For the money our car is STILL the best bang for the buck... (tranny paranoia aside)

Thanks for the banter.