Mission: Locate the Creaks and Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2001, 09:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Mission: Locate the Creaks and Rattles

I spent the better part of the evening locating the last few creaks/squeaks/rattles in the TL-S.

I came up w/ a few more locations to check for all you paranoid owners that hate noises as much as I do:

- back seat, look up while sitting, and locate the end of the ceiling's padded lining; this is where the rear windshield meets w/ the ceiling. Pull down gently on the padding material and note whether or not you hear a "sticky" creaking. This was the source of a bunch of my noises, so I found some cotton, and stuffed the gap w/ it across the width of the window and hopefully, mission accomplished.

- Underneath the rear deck (where the BOSE woofer is mounted; accessible via the trunk) you may be able to play/jar some of the mounted gear to locate anything that may click/rattle/creak. I did this and used an appropriate fix (duct tape squares, cotton) to "mend" the issue.

Best of Luck, and lemme know if any of this was helpful.
Old 07-28-2001, 12:46 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did that thing with the headliner on Thursday night and today driving around I did not hear one sqeak from the back. Ahhh, sernenity at last.
Old 07-28-2001, 10:10 AM
Racer

- Underneath the rear deck (where the BOSE woofer is mounted; accessible via the trunk) you may be able to play/jar some of the mounted gear to locate anything that may click/rattle/creak. I did this and used an appropriate fix (duct tape squares, cotton) to "mend" the issue.
Ditto, that's what caused my subwoofer rattle.

Also:

Rattles seemingly coming from the right front dash were actually the drivers seatbelt vibrating against the pillar.

The plastic lid on the center console storage area (between the seats) was hitting the lower part causung an incessant rattle. Glued pieces of foam and this fixed the problem.

I think pretty much every rattle & squeak can be fixed relatively easily EXCEPT for the seats. Fortunately and touchwood I dont have the squeaky seats. As yet.
Old 07-28-2001, 11:02 AM
Burning Brakes

I understand the paranoid issue too. These are our babies and we want them to be perfect.

Rattles and noise are going to happen of course, but the solution to fixing them is all is to just buy a JAPANESE car MADE IN JAPAN. You should experience the fit and quality of a LEXUS or even some of the TOYOTAS. So solid and quiet that you are simply amazed. Every detail is taken care of. It's beautiful.

Acura TL is still overall very good, but the Ohio plant is still not as good as the one in Japan.
Old 07-28-2001, 01:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by acuraguynj
I understand the paranoid issue too. These are our babies and we want them to be perfect.

Rattles and noise are going to happen of course, but the solution to fixing them is all is to just buy a JAPANESE car MADE IN JAPAN. You should experience the fit and quality of a LEXUS or even some of the TOYOTAS. So solid and quiet that you are simply amazed. Every detail is taken care of. It's beautiful.

Acura TL is still overall very good, but the Ohio plant is still not as good as the one in Japan.
Can't agree w/ you more. My '94 Lexus ES300 was a tank -- rock solid, bought used w/ 34K miles, sold at 108K miles ... NOT ONE CREAK/RATTLE/VIBRATION/SQUEAK. Rock solid. The engined purred like a kitten.

Our 1989, 1990, and 2 1991's Camry DX's (I4) were just the same in terms of build quality. I actually believe those $12,500.00 (brand new, great value @ the time) cars were more solid and built w/ better craftsmanship than the TL-S.

It was really a trade-off w/ me .. either I got the 2001 ES300 and had the luxury and refinement and quality, or I bought the Tl-S and finally had a car w/ some aggressively qualities, decent acceleration, and 17" rims.
Old 07-28-2001, 02:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by PeterUbers

Can't agree w/ you more. My '94 Lexus ES300 was a tank -- rock solid, bought used w/ 34K miles, sold at 108K miles ... NOT ONE CREAK/RATTLE/VIBRATION/SQUEAK. Rock solid. The engined purred like a kitten.

Our 1989, 1990, and 2 1991's Camry DX's (I4) were just the same in terms of build quality. I actually believe those $12,500.00 (brand new, great value @ the time) cars were more solid and built w/ better craftsmanship than the TL-S.

It was really a trade-off w/ me .. either I got the 2001 ES300 and had the luxury and refinement and quality, or I bought the Tl-S and finally had a car w/ some aggressively qualities, decent acceleration, and 17" rims.
Good to hear that you have had a taste of the good life too. You still can't go wrong either way with an Acura or Lexus. The TL Type S is much more agressive than the ES300, I just hope the 2002 ES300 has some major changes. The other way to go is the GS430 which is a beautiful car, but also big bucks too. The TL Type S gives you the best bang for the buck at this moment. However there is something about Lexus that is enticing. Top tiers of luxury, where Acura is luxury, but at the 2nd tier.