Michelin Pilots should only be used at 40-44 PSI!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2001, 05:08 PM
tea elle

Re: 35psi Best Pressure!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tlsshopper
[B]
Originally posted by EricL

The MXM4s are XL tires and the 1433 lbs load is available at 35psi. The XL rating and P designation (in front -- see link below) give the tire additional load "reserve" at the max pressure of 41 PSI.

Michelin Tech page for the MXM4 -- P215/50R17 XL (93V):

http://www.michelin-us.com/us/eng/ti..._pilotmxm4.pdf

Thanks EricL for the official word from Michelin on their recommended tire pressure of 35psi (refer to url above)! Based on other postings here, seems like most of us are also comfortable with 35psi instead of Acura's recommended 32psi.

Note: Went to a Jiffy Lube yesterday for a 5W-20 oil/filter change and they wanted to put 40psi in these tires; not sure where they get their specs.
It says 44 psi max right on the tires.
Old 09-02-2001, 04:04 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 35psi Best Pressure!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tlsshopper
[B]
Originally posted by EricL

Thanks EricL for the official word from Michelin on their recommended tire pressure of 35psi (refer to url above)! Based on other postings here, seems like most of us are also comfortable with 35psi instead of Acura's recommended 32psi.

IMO, I think anyone who recommends a psi other than 32 and persuades someone to change their tire pressure is doing a disservice. After all, it's Acura that has done extensive testing to come up with their 32 psi recommendations. Did Michelin test their tires on a TL-S? I doubt it. Even if they did, Acura knows more about Acura's than Michelin does. No one on this board is a professional. Most professionals will tell you to go with the factory recommendations. That number will you give the best combination of safety and comfort.
Old 09-02-2001, 08:03 PM
Banned

Re: Re: 35psi Best Pressure!!

Originally posted by Steveb

IMO, I think anyone who recommends a psi other than 32 and persuades someone to change their tire pressure is doing a disservice. After all, it's Acura that has done extensive testing to come up with their 32 psi recommendations. Did Michelin test their tires on a TL-S? I doubt it. Even if they did, Acura knows more about Acura's than Michelin does. No one on this board is a professional. Most professionals will tell you to go with the factory recommendations. That number will you give the best combination of safety and comfort.
Just remember the whole Ford/Firestone mess. Firestone's claim is that Ford listed a PSI that was *too low* for the Explorer's weight/performance. Firestone claims the low PSI was recommended by Ford to customers who complained about a harsh ride (something caused by higher PSI). So Ford allegedly lowered it without consulting Firestone, who claims if they had, Firestone would have never recommend that low of a PSI--their tires couldn't handle it.

I'm not taking sides on this and I don't want this post starting a Firestone/Ford argument. All I'm pointing out is the fact that vehicle and tire manufacturers don't always work together to come up with the OEM recommended PSI.

FYI, I run my TL-S OEM Michelin's at 34 PSI.
Old 09-02-2001, 08:34 PM
tea elle

Re: Re: 35psi Best Pressure!!

Originally posted by Steveb

Hey no offense, but did you ever stop to consider what the max pressure printed on the tire itself says? Obviously the pressure can safely be set higher than 32 psi.
Old 09-02-2001, 11:16 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To me, I would say Factory settings are ususally the BEST COMPROMISE(Ride/Handling/What not).... but not necessary THE BEST setting...

Andy Kuo
Old 09-02-2001, 11:21 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by AKRY
To me, I would say Factory settings are ususally the BEST COMPROMISE(Ride/Handling/What not).... but not necessary THE BEST setting...
That's right, tire pressure is a compromise between wear, grip, and comfort. The factory recommendation usually provides good wear and comfort, but not necessarily the best grip.
Old 09-02-2001, 11:35 PM
Advanced

Acura probably uses a LOW tire pressure because they want the car to feel smooth, but didn't want to spend the extra money on alluminum suspension parts and a firmer chasis. I seriously doubt its a safety issue. 32 is pretty low IMO. Easy to bend rims that
way (if you live in midwest).
Old 09-03-2001, 12:03 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm now I'm considering up the pressure to 34-35psi...
Old 09-03-2001, 12:40 AM
Instructor

It was according to Boyle's law that when temperature increase, pressure increase. So if your tires are operating, its temperature increase. Same as its pressure. When your car is under normal operating temperature, your tire will be fairly hot (friction between tires and road) and thus, your tire pressure will be increased.

My cold temperature is at 28 psi. However, hot temparture is 36psi. If you guys have your cold tire pressure of 32psi, your tire will most likely be around 40psi under hot temperature.