Megiar's question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 02:16 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Megiar's question

ok i've checked their site and used the search but couldn't find the answer i was looking for, so here it goes...

who can tell me the difference between Meguair's Cleaner Wax and their 3 step system?

taken from the description of the Cleaner Wax from their site..."In one step, this legendary product cleans, polishes and protects the paint finish and creates a dazzling, durable finish."

using the 3 step system, step 1 is the cleaner, step 2 is the polish and step 3 is the wax. so whynot just buy the Cleaner Wax? (which would save time and u just buy 1 bottle)
Old 06-24-2002, 02:38 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it's their answer fot those people who don't want to put the effort into doing it the right way.

They could say "Hey dumb$hit, are you too lazy?", but then they wouldn't make a sale. Now they have a product that markets to those people.

I've used Meguiar's for close to ten years. I use the Show Car glaze (Yellow bottle) for the polish, and Meguiar's Medallion for paint as the wax. The Medallion is a more expensive than the rest of their waxes, but it's well worth it!
Old 06-24-2002, 03:39 AM
Pro

Originally posted by goaub
I think it's their answer fot those people who don't want to put the effort into doing it the right way.

They could say "Hey dumb$hit, are you too lazy?", but then they wouldn't make a sale. Now they have a product that markets to those people.

I've used Meguiar's for close to ten years. I use the Show Car glaze (Yellow bottle) for the polish, and Meguiar's Medallion for paint as the wax. The Medallion is a more expensive than the rest of their waxes, but it's well worth it!

lol yeah i figured...good for Meguair's to make money off lazy people too! now there's also all this talk about using Dawn to wash your car and it seems like it's only required if you're using Zaino. how about non-Zaino users? do u still Dawn your car or just use any other car wash solution? i'm at a dilemma here whether to Dawn or not...my car is 6 months old and i do plan to clay with the Mothers clay kit and use Meguair's cleaner, then polisher, then Mothers wax, which comes with the kit.
Old 06-24-2002, 08:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by dee diddy

lol yeah i figured...good for Meguair's to make money off lazy people too! now there's also all this talk about using Dawn to wash your car and it seems like it's only required if you're using Zaino. how about non-Zaino users? do u still Dawn your car or just use any other car wash solution? i'm at a dilemma here whether to Dawn or not...my car is 6 months old and i do plan to clay with the Mothers clay kit and use Meguair's cleaner, then polisher, then Mothers wax, which comes with the kit.
See my post: http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=42512

The purpose of using dawn wash is to strip off any waxes and oils on your car to expose the clearcoat layer where contaminants might hide. It is not specific to zaino. You should use do a dawn wash only if you plan to clay your car. You should not use dawn wash very often because it is very akaline(?) Also, I e-mailed the folks at classic motoring and they said you can apply either a wax or a paint protectant. In my case, I applied 4 coats of Klasse SG, but you can use the wax that comes with the Mother's clay bar.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:27 AM
Pro

but don't the cleaner (step 1) and the clay bar remove wax anyways? i'm a little hesitant to subject my car to alkaline solution...if i just follow thru with claying and the 3 step process, the end result should be just as good right? nowhere on the Meguiar's website do they mention about using dawn...
Old 06-24-2002, 12:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

people should learn to walk b4 they run......learning how n what to use when washing your car is half the battle in keeping it looking good ....... try searching for some threads on this subject.
Old 06-24-2002, 04:20 PM
Pro

Originally posted by NsX Pilot
people should learn to walk b4 they run......learning how n what to use when washing your car is half the battle in keeping it looking good ....... try searching for some threads on this subject.
i've already spent an eternity searching but no ones ever asked why u need to dawn when the cleaner and clay removes old wax anyways...i was just looking at a bottle of Mothers pre-wax cleaner (step 1) today and it says it removes old wax...so i'm confused...
Old 06-24-2002, 04:54 PM
10th Gear

Dee, depending on what you use to prep the car, you may or may not need the pre-wax cleaner. Pre-wax cleaner is used to strip old wax as well as any junk that's embedded into the paint. However, if you wash the car with Dawn and clay-bar it, you are essentially doing the same thing. Does that help?

IMO, I would highly recommend using Dawn+clay bar instead of using pre-wax cleaner. It saves a lot of effort and the clay bar is going to do a much better job taking off embedded particles without scratching the paint.
Old 06-24-2002, 05:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by dee diddy

i've already spent an eternity searching but no ones ever asked why u need to dawn when the cleaner and clay removes old wax anyways...i was just looking at a bottle of Mothers pre-wax cleaner (step 1) today and it says it removes old wax...so i'm confused...
From what I've read on the Mother's website

Code:
Before you apply another coat of wax onto your vehicle,
consider how well you've prepared the surface. Was the paint
cleaned first? Our Pre-Wax Cleaner is formulated to clear the
oxidation, embedded dirt, road salts, tar, airborne chemical
pollutants, stains, old wax and other surface contaminants that
may have built up. Pre-Wax Cleaner polishes out minor flaws and
smoothes the paint surface. Clean twice a year or as needed
with Mothers® Pre-Wax Cleaner—be prepared for Phase 2 and
Phase 3.
It seems as if the pre-wax cleaner is trying to take the place of the dawn wash AND the clay bar. How well it replaces the dawn wash and clay bar, we won't know. I think you will get better results if you do the dawn wash and clay bar. Although I think you can get away with the 3 step system if you want your car to look good, but don't have time to go all out. Does that answer your question?
Old 06-25-2002, 12:25 AM
Pro

the clay bar is great but it's time consuming. i got the Mothers kit and i used up almost all of the QD. instead of drying after washing the car, couldn't i just use the wet surface as lubricant for the clay?? btw, claying is only like 1 or 2 times a year? ok to wax in between without claying?

after claying i used Meguiar's step 1 cleaner and step 2 polish before ending it with the included Mothers wax. nice n shiny...very smooth but there's gotta be an easier way with same results. i may continue claying and just go with Meguiar's all-in-1 Cleaner Wax rather than go thru 3 seperate steps cuz i just don't have that kind of time. are the professional versions (beige bottle) better (covers up better? better shine?) than consumer versions? any recommendations?

so if i were to go with wash, clay (1-2 times/yr), Scratch X and Cleaner Wax, would that be sufficient? can any1 suggest a decent car wash solution that doesn't leave water marks or come with a funky smell...something that leaves a good shine (if i was in a rush and could only wash). who's tried either zymol's wash or cleaner wax?
Old 06-25-2002, 09:30 AM
Drifting

People, might I suggest a website that offer wonderful tips and tricks in their forums from amateur to professional detailers? Here is the site, www.autopia-carport.com . The forums are a must read for anyone wanting to perserve their paint and giving their car a long lasting shine.