MDX-T Vs TLs And their owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 05:51 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MDX-T Vs TLs And their owners

I have about 25K on my TLs and about 6K on my MDX now and I’ve been in the MDX forum for 6 months and in the TL forums for about a year and a half. Owners are so funky. When it comes down to it, my MDX-T and TLS are pretty much the exact same car through and through. Going from one to another is like putting on the same glove. Everything is almost exactly the same on the inside, almost from the same parts bin. Quality all around is the same.

Yet, all TLs owners do is ***** and complain about this and that. MDX owners seems to be completely and utterly happy with it. I don’t understand, I’m completely happy with both. My TL developed a few rattles after 10K but I had them fixed, I suspect my MDX might do the same, especially the sun roof that’s basically identical. It might take the MDX longer because its a much smoother ride. But then again, I have springs and 18" rims on my TL which makes it a lot louder on the road and jarring which is prone to do this.

How can there be 2 extreme opposites? Well.. It seems to me like MDX owners are older and more mature. I’m thinking they have owned more cars and know what to expect in a near luxo car batter.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:19 PM
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 73 Posts
Hey Y2Ks2K, my feelings also. This is my forth Acura and I now have two of them, my wifes 94 Legend with 162,000 miles and my TL-S with only 3,600 miles. My lease of a 2001 CL-S was up and I wanted a 4 door to make it easier for me to get my grandson in and out of the car.

I also don't understand how so many here complain about their cars and really don't say good things about them.

Don't get me wrong, but their are some here who really love the TL's but too many just go crazy with this and that.

I could understand about the tranny issue but I can't beleive everyone is having this problem. If it happens to me, then I'll just bring it in and let them fix and get on my way.

I had alot of cars during my 40 years of owning cars and the CL and now the TL are cars I really enjoy driving.

Enjoy your MDX and TL, now that's what I need in my driveway.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:42 PM
Parting out 02 Type S :(

you must remember that people only share their problems on the forum ,which makes it seem like the car is crap, when it really has so many positive points that easily outbalance the negatives.
but i do agree that too many people complain too much, thinking that acura owes them or they got ripped. this is just people who do not appreciate what they have until its gone.

to all the people *****ing, go and get yourself a rental for 2 full weeks. get back in the tls after that and you will fall in love all over again. repeat if necessary.
Old 05-21-2003, 01:43 AM
Racer

Originally posted by power3dfx
you must remember that people only share their problems on the forum ,which makes it seem like the car is crap, when it really has so many positive points that easily outbalance the negatives.
but i do agree that too many people complain too much, thinking that acura owes them or they got ripped. this is just people who do not appreciate what they have until its gone.

to all the people *****ing, go and get yourself a rental for 2 full weeks. get back in the tls after that and you will fall in love all over again. repeat if necessary.
Binog we have a winner! He'll I took my TLs in for 1 day and got a Caravan.. Jesus I was happy to get back in my TLs. You push the accelerator to the floor and 3 seconds later the engine responded.
Old 05-21-2003, 01:58 AM
Instructor

even an auto RSX can give you that same crappy feeling... :yack:

but most people here owns Honda somehow sometime in their lives and the reliability is a big bonus or even the reason they buy Acura badged "XL" honda accord in the first place. With more money we spent we should be getting more spoiled for a lot of trouble free miles...... Having a stranded Acura on roadside within the warranty period is just not acceptable for some.

MDX does not boost any performance image, so noone try to take it aggresively ..... then Less people complaint about their disappointment of the performance... how many of MDXes out there drag races Eclipse or other Fast and Furious dummies there?? WE got a handful here......

all in all, TL-S is still a very good combo we are getting... and nobody here around would argue with that...

Except the Trannies......
Old 05-21-2003, 04:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hell! I drove a loaner RSX for *6 hours* while my car underwent its 30K checkup and was absolutely RELIEVED to get back into my TL-S! Ha, ha... even my 12 y.o. son made a comment about how much better the TL-S is -- since I picked him up from school in the RSX and then drove to Acura to pick up my car. I just smiled when he said that cause he'd only been in the RSX for about 15 minutes!

Later,

V.
Old 05-21-2003, 06:57 AM
Drifting

Truck drivers are used to rattles. And compared with most trucks, the MDX is smoother and probably quieter than most.

Without a doubt, it is the giant killer in this market segment.

Now if Acura could put the same AWD on the TL Type S for an extra $4000, they would have a true giant killer in the mid sized sport sedan market.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:13 AM
Instructor

It's funny, we have a TL-S and an Odyssey and I can say the same. Very, very similar interiors and similar feel all the way around. Yeah, my minivan feels similar especially the engine (very sweet for a minivan).

Overall the build quality is very high (a little better fit and finish in the Odyssey), but it does have rattles like the TL. After owning my TL for 9 months, I've come to accept the tiny quirks (all cars have them!). Hell I just saw a news story about MBenz electrical problems and angry owners!

The TL is a very nice car and I STILL look for an excuse to drive it. I just love driving this car. It's by far the best I've ever had. I do agree on the RSX though. I had an auto RSX loaner while my car was being serviced and was very happy to get back in the TL. I just hated the RSX.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:26 PM
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 73 Posts
For once nothing but good stuff about the TL, about time!

Maybe I'm just lucky because between all the Acuras I or my wife owned, something like 275,000 miles between 4 cars and never once did we have a major problem.

I just love driving my Type S.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:24 PM
Advanced

My wife and I have had our TL-S and MDX for about 3 months now, and I love them both. The MDX is my wife's, but I actually look forward to driving it sometimes. It is like getting into a more comfortable, smoother driving TL-S. We only have about 2000 miles on each, and have had no problems or gripes yet.

I agree that there are a lot of people that ***** about their TL-S. Actually, I am one of them when it came the factory stereo.

I enjoy them both, and will probably get a new TL-S when my lease ends.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its all about what's your level of tolerance.
Old 05-24-2003, 10:45 PM
8th Gear

I have to agree. This is my 5th Acura - 3 Legends, and this is my 2nd TLS. My first TLS was totaled in January by a guy running a stop sign into my driver's door - not fun.

But when I shopped around to buy a new car, I just couldn't find a car that has all that the TLS has - especially at the price! The Acura folks work with me on getting all the little "noises" fixed, and I enjoy driving it!
Old 05-25-2003, 04:23 AM
Burning Brakes

my tls has had its tranny replaced once. the rotors were resurfaced twice and replaced once for becoming warped. yet i still love my car!
Old 05-27-2003, 08:43 AM
TL-S driver

It all depends on what kind of mood I'm in but I love my MDX and TL-S both the same! The MDX if great for transporting people and going for LONG rides. The TL-S is a lot more fun to drive! If your wondering why I choose the MDX for long rides, it's because I drive slightly slower in the MDX and it's less chances of me getting a speeding ticket.