May '01 sample results in 5% tranny failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by aurora
I've been reading all of these posts concerning dead trannies and have become somewhat concerned (whether 5%, 2% or whatever). The debate over the validity of the analysis creates more heat than light. There does seem to be a problem and as a fairly early purchaser (#5137) it appears to be cause for some worry although I have had zero indication of any problems on my car. These posts have been getting considerable mention on Edmunds Town Hall TL-S section. Also, the fact that Honda/Acura has prohibited Alldata from releasing titles of TSB's adds to my concerns.
Rather than beating this to death on this forum, is it possible that, we as a group of some size, can contact Acura and get some better info, relief in the form of extended warranty, etc?
I also would like an official statement from acura about the tranny issue. The tranny problem is not new and i am sure acura has some sort of database on it. But i am sure acura would like to keep that information to themselves. The numbers could be stagering. Based on my observations, it wouldn't surprise me at all it the percentage were at the teens.

So for us little people oblios survey is as good as we gonna get.
Old 06-20-2002, 09:07 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
Figures in the original post updated 6-20-02
Old 06-20-2002, 10:35 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
1. I understand that no new car is without fault; however, major component failures are not typical of a car company who's name is synonymous with 'reliability'. Especially at the rates noted here.

2. We are not seeing these numbers show up yet in statistics. It will be interesting to see the Consumer Reports and the JD Power & Associates numbers in another year for Acura. If the percentages are proportionate to the sampling here, they will show up.

3. Secondary to the major component failure is how the representative company handles the problem. Acura has yet to even acknowledge that there is a problem. Dealer Service Reps do, for the most part, but Acura Reps do not. As a result, we, the consumers, are left to negotiate with our respective dealers. In my case, the dealer treated me better than Acura/Honda as a company.

4. This experience, combined with others listed here, and info I uncovered researching Honda/Acura in general is enough to steer me away from any of their products in the future.

5. I became a member of this board when I bought my TL-S in May of 01...long before my tranny failed. I suppose you could post statistics in 2 sets...one from folks who were members before any sign of failure...and those who became members after a failure. I only became a member because I was looking for Acura accessories and stumbled upon the site. I would say that I am a random sample...or at worst...a sample from Acura TL-S owners who use the Internet, know how to use a search engine, and are interested in purchasing accessories...I think that's about as random as it gets.

IMHO
Old 06-20-2002, 11:34 AM
Prez & GC, .Net

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have gathered all this data and no one has bothered to send a copy of it to the National Highway Safety Administration (NHSA)? THey're the ones who jumped all over Ford and Firestone for those defective tires. I think a few well worded letters, backed up by statistics might cause the Feds to start investigating Acura as well.

All they need are a few accidents due to defective trannies. Quite a few of you have had near accidents. Write your letters folks. Forget dealing with Acura. They obviously ignore you all. Just go straight to the Feds. Next, goto the newspapers. Someone call the Washington Post

Dizzy
Old 06-20-2002, 11:51 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Dizzy
We have gathered all this data and no one has bothered to send a copy of it to the National Highway Safety Administration (NHSA)? THey're the ones who jumped all over Ford and Firestone for those defective tires. I think a few well worded letters, backed up by statistics might cause the Feds to start investigating Acura as well.

All they need are a few accidents due to defective trannies. Quite a few of you have had near accidents. Write your letters folks. Forget dealing with Acura. They obviously ignore you all. Just go straight to the Feds. Next, goto the newspapers. Someone call the Washington Post

Dizzy
Search the threads...there was a campaign early on to go to the NHTSA Web to file complaints...I know I did...not sure how many others did. And you are right...it IS a safety hazard...when my 2nd tranny failed, I was in rush hour traffic on the Interstate in Atlanta...the Acura rep said he didn't see how that was a safety hazard...in fact, his 70 something year old Grandmother drives a TL...I asked him if he'd let me trade with her...

I also wrote some letters to a few car magazines, and to a consumer magazine...
Old 06-20-2002, 12:26 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Mr Hyde
Interesting, but there is no way that I will believe that a faiulure rate of 5% is even close to being accurate. 5 out of every 100 are failing? Not a chance. With hundreds of thousands being sold, 5% tranny failure rates would be major news, and the dealers wouldnt even be able to work on any cars; they'd all be full of dead tranny TL's
TL sales figures for the year 2001 were a little over 69,000...so it's not hundreds of thousands...unless you mean since the inception of the TL...
Old 06-20-2002, 01:03 PM
bsk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Search the threads...there was a campaign early on to go to the NHTSA Web to file complaints...I know I did...not sure how many others did."

Searched the NHTSA site to see the number of consumer complaints for the 02 TL3.2 trans. Only listed 2 complaints. Either I'm searching wrong or we are not complaining enough.
Old 06-20-2002, 01:18 PM
Pro

Originally posted by bsk
"Search the threads...there was a campaign early on to go to the NHTSA Web to file complaints...I know I did...not sure how many others did."

Searched the NHTSA site to see the number of consumer complaints for the 02 TL3.2 trans. Only listed 2 complaints. Either I'm searching wrong or we are not complaining enough.
I had searched it too, and there seems to be something wrong with the way they have labeled the search options because I can't even find the record I submitted.