Maxima goes down again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 12:32 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Maxima goes down again!!!

Yet Another maxima is on my check off list. This time around it was on 95 north coming back from CT. It all started when i was cruising @ 65 in the middle lane with my girlfriend in the car, when i saw a pair of headlights haulin a$$ on the left lane. This guy decides to slow down and get in front of me and gas up like i wanted to race him. I was trying to measure my gas per gallon so i was on cruise control. I then pulled over to his left side and lowered my passenger window and gave him the nod he. Its no bull we were died even up into 80mph when i started to pull away by a car length. We then slowed down to 45 mph (no traffic) I pulled on him and around 120mph he caught up and by that time I had him by 1/2 car length we shut down and then here comes a loud a$$ revin civic... i said to my self "oh boy" here we go again we punched it again, this time the civic joins the fun and boy was his feelins hurt the maxima and the Type S left that little kid like 8 cars behind..... later found out that it was a si...... thats it for me with the maximas... it was too close ..... i give my props to the maximas. Even dough i have 5 maximas in my check off list..... Maximas
Old 02-10-2003, 01:22 PM
Racer

TLS goes...down!

Tit for tat. :p

These cars are dead even. It all depends on the drivers and what speeds you're racing from. 80 mph is where the Maxima hits its tall 3rd gear, which is why you were able to pull on him. This fellow at Maxima.org beat one off the line, where the Max's greater torque and lighter weight is an advantage.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:52 PM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by SteVTEC
TLS goes...down!

Tit for tat. :p

These cars are dead even. It all depends on the drivers and what speeds you're racing from. 80 mph is where the Maxima hits its tall 3rd gear, which is why you were able to pull on him. This fellow at Maxima.org beat one off the line, where the Max's greater torque and lighter weight is an advantage.

:::GASP!!!:::: HOW DARE THEY HAVE A NEAT FORUM LIKE US!!!
Old 02-10-2003, 02:09 PM
Safety Car

nice kill +1 for the TL-S.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:40 AM
Intermediate

When tl-s and maxima comes out to be dead even in speed. It comes out to which car has more luxary. and of course tl-s takes home the trophy. i wouldnt want to pick up a girl in a maxima.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:12 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by JDM Acura TL
When tl-s and maxima comes out to be dead even in speed. It comes out to which car has more luxary. and of course tl-s takes home the trophy. i wouldnt want to pick up a girl in a maxima.
LOL
Old 02-11-2003, 08:35 AM
Advanced

LOL ... you aint lying
Old 02-11-2003, 08:42 AM
Advanced

I mean there is a problem here alot of guys with maxima claim that they beat a tls but dam... i havent lost to one yet....... do i have to wait for jeff gordon to drive the maxima and but my tls...... Steve do I need to encounter a really great driver to beat my tls?????? wow, because if thats the case i will need to go to the indy 500 with my tls..... races with the maxima are close, I agree with you on that .... but the tls always come out on top ..... i havent seen a 2k3 maxima beat tls and this is not bias because i am a maxima fan myself. The maxima has nothing over the tls ........ handling, performance, ride comfort..... nothing .... and the new maxima are ugly .... so the 2k3 maxima is going to be a legend.. for nissan ....
Old 02-11-2003, 09:56 AM
www.cardomain.com/id/perr

Originally posted by JDM Acura TL
I wouldn't want to pick my girl up in a TL type S either. when it comes to Luxury I would much rather pick my girl up in a car with real wood accents and rwd etc. ala Benz, BMW etc... Since we are talking tic for tat

Old 02-11-2003, 11:06 AM
Go Stros!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well that is true...BMW and MB's have more luxury and more "class"...but what do we have a Maxima and TL Type-S's...lets just be happy that we have that....No need to start arguing about things we don't have and or want to have...talk about what you got not what you wish you got. But, I'm not here to be bias towards any car...It is all good...I had my fun trying to argue about this topic before and it wasn't getting me anywhere no sense in starting all this back up...Guys can't we all just get along...I know there are Maximas that have beaten Tl-S's and vice versa..but hell, in the end...we all the same..freaking Imports that are hated by domestics...I just had that feeling bought back in me when my boss(who drives a 02' Ford Powerstroke Diesel 2500 truck) was talking **** about my car because he said it is nothing but import ****...yeah...so there are some ignorant people out there...who cares...Have fun, drive safe, and be careful.

Oh yeah, What sup Steve! haha I didn't even know you where here...
Old 02-11-2003, 11:27 AM
Racer

Both of these cars....

Put down nearly identical 1/4 mile times: 14.7-15.2
Put down nearly identical skidpad results: 0.82-0.83g
Put down nearly identical slalom runs: 92-93 mph

Clearly the Acura distinguishes itself as the clear winner and will always come out on top when compared to a Maxima, based on the objective data presented here. :p

Oops, I guess we'll just forget all about the 6spd Maxima, which can run 14.2-14.3 completely stock.

Luxury? The Maxima has every luxury item that the TL-S does. The only thing the Acura has is the badge and better service. The Maxima is cheaper, has an auto tranny that won't blow up on you, and a 6spd manual if you want that too.

Styling is purely subjective.

I agree that the Acura is probably more "pimp" (any luxury brand is), but not all of us depend on our cars to get chicks so why spend the extra money?

hehehe...cheap shot I know, but I didn't bring it up first

BR,
- Steve
Old 02-11-2003, 12:18 PM
Advanced

LOL ...steve.. one thing you might agree with me is that the 04 maxima is ugly and that the 2k3 maxima looks alot better....................
Old 02-11-2003, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by vsop TL-S
Well that is true...BMW and MB's have more luxury and more "class"...but what do we have a Maxima and TL Type-S's...lets just be happy that we have that....No need to start arguing about things we don't have and or want to have...talk about what you got not what you wish you got. But, I'm not here to be bias towards any car...It is all good...I had my fun trying to argue about this topic before and it wasn't getting me anywhere no sense in starting all this back up...Guys can't we all just get along...I know there are Maximas that have beaten Tl-S's and vice versa..but hell, in the end...we all the same..freaking Imports that are hated by domestics...I just had that feeling bought back in me when my boss(who drives a 02' Ford Powerstroke Diesel 2500 truck) was talking **** about my car because he said it is nothing but import ****...yeah...so there are some ignorant people out there...who cares...Have fun, drive safe, and be careful.

I agree it is just annoying to here statements that sound as if a Maxima being compared to a TL, TL/S is like comparing a TL type S to a Civic. There isn't that much of a drastic different in the two cars and the differences are comparable to the price you pay for them. They are both FWD cars with comparable performance end of story IMHO
Old 02-11-2003, 01:44 PM
Racer

Originally posted by 2fasttls
LOL ...steve.. one thing you might agree with me is that the 04 maxima is ugly and that the 2k3 maxima looks alot better....................
I honestly can't tell you what I think of the new Maxima yet because you can't judge a car before you have looked at it for awhile. Some cars look a lot better in person than in pictures, and vice versa.

It doesn't matter what I think anyways, because looks are purely subjective. What one person loves, another person will hate.

sup man. I'm not here. I lurk, though
Old 02-11-2003, 03:00 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You are correct man, I have been trying to say this for a while, especially in the other TLS vs. Maxima thread. Its funny how when it comes to these 2 cars we have more heated stuff than any othr 2 cars,lol!
Old 02-11-2003, 03:04 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by perrymaxima

I agree it is just annoying to here statements that sound as if a Maxima being compared to a TL, TL/S is like comparing a TL type S to a Civic. There isn't that much of a drastic different in the two cars and the differences are comparable to the price you pay for them. They are both FWD cars with comparable performance end of story IMHO
And True
Old 02-11-2003, 04:07 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Monte TLS,MAX
You are correct man, I have been trying to say this for a while, especially in the other TLS vs. Maxima thread. Its funny how when it comes to these 2 cars we have more heated stuff than any othr 2 cars,lol!

how about tl-s vs. g-35?
Old 02-11-2003, 04:33 PM
Pro

Originally posted by this is me

how about tl-s vs. g-35?

doh!!
Old 02-11-2003, 05:12 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Both these threads are too funny! These two cars so comparable why even argue which is better and what not. Both have good luxury, speed, decent handling and evenly equipped cost about the same. Not to mention they are both roomy and are FWD.

The only question I have to max guys (who point out the lack of torque and heavier weight of the TLS) is why the max isn't faster than the TLS? I still don't get why they point this out when the cars are so equal yet logic tells me that a 3.5 liter engine with more torque and less weight to pull should be beating a heavier, less torquey 3.2 liter engine. Case in point:

"No, I think he lost because Acuras are torque-challenged."

Don't get me wrong I like the max a lot but I just hate hearing that argument.

Funniest part about the max thread was somebody thought the TLS was a 40k car and compared it to a 528. I guess we can be flattered!

"thats a great kill...but i have a question for u guys, ive repeatedly took out acura tl's, bmw 3series and even bmw 528's especially on the highway in a stock 01SE, i found it to be weird lookin over and seeing these $40k cars in my mirrors...are 528's and tl's really that slow??"

I love the 5 series but as far as straight line comparison with a max or a TLS and the 528 has no chance! I raced my buddy's car with a couple dinan goodies from a stop and all three times I beat him bad! Easily a good 4 car lengths to 80 and pulling hard. Highway was closer.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:18 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Monte TLS,MAX
I'm sorry but, nothing gets more heated than a Mustang vs Camaro discussion!! Those guys seem to hate each other.

Personally, I dont hate the TL-S. To the contrary, I would have purchased it if: a) the Acura dealer would have worked the price down below $28G (like the CL-S discounts) and b) if my wife actually liked Hondas.

Peace
Old 02-11-2003, 07:48 PM
8th Gear

Agree - TL-S' are great cars, and they're fast (I'm the guy from the Maxima link, and take it as a compliment that I was pleased to have taken the Acura). I thought about buying a TL-S for a long time before deciding on the Max.

Old 02-12-2003, 12:03 AM
Instructor

I know from personal experience that my stock TL-S is faster than my friends 2k2 SE Auto. We race all the time, and it is almost always the same result. Very close. Most of the time he usually gets a 3ft lead by 30, but I always close that gap and pass him by 3ft by the time I shift into 3rd. If I hit my shift just right sometimes I’ve been a full car length by 70. I’m always ahead by at least 1 full car length by 100. The only time he has ever beat me was when he caught me sleeping. Ever since I got my new tires he can barely get me off the line at all.

I realize this isn't always the case since maybe my TL-S is one of the faster ones, and his SE might be one of the slower ones. He also weighs 30-40 more pounds than I do. Maybe someday we can switch drivers, and see if that makes a difference.

One thing I notice about both our engines is while his does feel like it has more pull off the line it feels like his engine peters out over 6100-6200 RPM. I like how my TL-S pulls strong all the way to 7200-7300RPM.

Just my personal experience. Take it anyway you like
Old 02-12-2003, 12:22 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Both of these cars....

Put down nearly identical 1/4 mile times: 14.7-15.2
Put down nearly identical skidpad results: 0.82-0.83g
Put down nearly identical slalom runs: 92-93 mph

Clearly the Acura distinguishes itself as the clear winner and will always come out on top when compared to a Maxima, based on the objective data presented here. :p

Oops, I guess we'll just forget all about the 6spd Maxima, which can run 14.2-14.3 completely stock.

Luxury? The Maxima has every luxury item that the TL-S does. The only thing the Acura has is the badge and better service. The Maxima is cheaper, has an auto tranny that won't blow up on you, and a 6spd manual if you want that too.

I agree that the Acura is probably more "pimp" (any luxury brand is), but not all of us depend on our cars to get chicks so why spend the extra money?

hehehe...cheap shot I know, but I didn't bring it up first

BR,
- Steve
Steve...

The 5-spd .. is just so much more fun than the flat 4-spd .. I don't care if the cars are dead even in the 1/4-mile... I would have to say that the TL-S is more "enjoyable" performance wise at a wider range of rpms/speeds compared w/ the auto Max. Off the line fun is only good... um..err... off the line. Plus, the TL-S auto seems to shift more aggressively/faster than the Max auto.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:23 AM
8th Gear

Originally posted by PeterUbers

Steve...

The 5-spd .. is just so much more fun than the flat 4-spd .. I don't care if the cars are dead even in the 1/4-mile... I would have to say that the TL-S is more "enjoyable" performance wise at a wider range of rpms/speeds compared w/ the auto Max. Off the line fun is only good... um..err... off the line. Plus, the TL-S auto seems to shift more aggressively/faster than the Max auto.
As typically happens in these threads, it comes down to personal preference - if we didn't prefer our cars, we wouldn't have purchased them. "Enjoyable performance" is about as subjective a phrase as it gets. I find that the Max has such a wide torque and HP band that it's fast at any speed (admittedly the tranny needs a little "help" with the shift points). And if you compare the HP and torque curves for both, you could argue that the Max has more "usable" power, whereas the TL-S pulls like a maniac at the top end where the Max is rolling off. Depends on what you like...

Old 02-12-2003, 10:33 AM
still a Masshole

word!
Old 02-12-2003, 12:29 PM
Pro

Originally posted by DMan

Maybe someday we can switch drivers, and see if that makes a difference.

Along those same lines, I'm thinking of renting a TL-S and taking it to the track just to see if I can better my Maxima's ET/Trap Speed.

If I do, I'll post it.

Peace
Old 02-12-2003, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by VQ35DE

Along those same lines, I'm thinking of renting a TL-S and taking it to the track just to see if I can better my Maxima's ET/Trap Speed.

If I do, I'll post it.

Peace
I don't think you can rent a TL/S but you can rent a Maxima thats one of the reasons the Maxima resale is so bad in comparison to a TL, TL/S... I wanted to say that before someone else bought that point up.... thus not making it seem as if the Maxima was being picked on again

I own a Maxima so it's all good. I still can't believe these treads pop up in the first place. If you visit the 1st gen TL forums you will see they hardly ever discuss competing cars. Maybe once the new Max and TL come out we can squash all the petty squabling
Old 02-12-2003, 01:16 PM
Racer

they dont talk about competing cars bcuz their cars cant compete :/
no offense to any1...ur **** still looks tight

just my 2 cents
Old 02-12-2003, 01:17 PM
Pro

Originally posted by perrymaxima

I don't think you can rent a TL/S but you can rent a Maxima thats one of the reasons the Maxima resale is so bad in comparison to a TL, TL/S
I've already rented TLs a few times from a local car rental agency here in NJ.
Old 02-12-2003, 02:29 PM

OIC :o
Old 02-12-2003, 04:44 PM
Dr. TLS

Wow, that's definitley a first.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:40 PM
Pro

Originally posted by vandy786

Wow, that's definitley a first.
Yup!! on three occassions when I had one of my cars in the shop, I rented the TL each time. (FYI: They even had a 2001 Honda Prelude SH 5sp rental there one time.)

Just keep in mind, I'm referring to a local car rental place (http://www.somersetauto.net/rental.html) as opposed to a major rental place like Hertz or Avis.

Peace.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:59 PM
Dr. TLS

Oh ok. Just checked out their site. I don't even know why you brought this up because its a no-name local rental place which 95% of people don't have access to. Hell, they are even renting out Lexus. It's the major rental companies that help put the dent on the resale value and bring about people's perception that some car is "one of those you get as rentals." No offense, but this one example of a TL rental would not count against the tens of thousands of maximas currently used as rentals by the bigger companies.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:02 PM
Instructor

That's why I like smaller rental places. You can get good deals on nice cars. I rented a Mitsu Diamonte for 35 per day. At enterprise the best I could do was a Grand Am SE.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:18 PM
Pro

Originally posted by vandy786
Oh ok. Just checked out their site. I don't even know why you brought this up because its a no-name local rental place which 95% of people don't have access to.
no no. if you look at my other post, I indicated that I contemplated renting a TL-S specifically to run at the track...
Old 02-14-2003, 01:41 AM
Racer

Originally posted by ferizzo
The only question I have to max guys (who point out the lack of torque and heavier weight of the TLS) is why the max isn't faster than the TLS? I still don't get why they point this out when the cars are so equal yet logic tells me that a 3.5 liter engine with more torque and less weight to pull should be beating a heavier, less torquey 3.2 liter engine. Case in point:
It is the case that the maxima AND the Altima has the same exact engine, which is rated at 240-245HP... Maxima guys are fighting with Nissan of the missing 15 HP... this is why the maxima is not pulling hard on a CLS...
Old 02-14-2003, 10:16 AM
8th Gear

Originally posted by Beiruty

It is the case that the maxima AND the Altima has the same exact engine, which is rated at 240-245HP... Maxima guys are fighting with Nissan of the missing 15 HP... this is why the maxima is not pulling hard on a CLS...
I'll be brief since a lot of you guys are probably not interested, and would like this thread to die

The Maxima and Altima share an engine, but the Max supposedly has different timing and/or intake to generate more HP. The question is whether or not this was actually delivered...

Thought our continuing controversy was on whether a Max could pull on a TL-S, not a CL-S - thought CL-S' were faster than TL-S, and probably more comparable to a G35 Coupe?
Old 02-14-2003, 10:59 AM
still a Masshole

Maxima, I agree with that you say below. That same engine is stuffed into almost every Infiniti/nissan car and even some trucks but with a little tweaking here and there. I think the max guys are doubting on whether the additional power was actually delivered (as you pointed out).

Originally posted by Maxima

I'll be brief since a lot of you guys are probably not interested, and would like this thread to die

The Maxima and Altima share an engine, but the Max supposedly has different timing and/or intake to generate more HP. The question is whether or not this was actually delivered...
As far as the TLS vs CLS debate. The are almost the exact same car (same engine, exhaust system, tuning, etc). The CLS is negliably lighter (I think about 50lbs for the auto) so it might be a hair quicker but they are pretty much the same...auto for auto that is.

Originally posted by Maxima

Thought our continuing controversy was on whether a Max could pull on a TL-S, not a CL-S - thought CL-S' were faster than TL-S, and probably more comparable to a G35 Coupe?
Old 02-15-2003, 08:25 PM
Instructor

I'm a bit confused... What does the TLS have the Max doesn't in terms of options/luxury?? Now that I think about it, the Maxima has a number of luxury features the TLS is lacking. A few examples...

Heated Steering Wheel
Auto Off Headlights
Digital Compass
Real Fog Lights
Auto Up/Down Windows for Driver and Passenger
More Room

As I am a pretty big TLS fan myself, it all comes down to personal preference. I hate it when people say one car is better than the other hands down! These 2 cars are pretty much dead even and appeal to the same people. You and me. My likes for the TLS are as follows...

Better Leather
Better Fit/Finish
Better Auto Tranny - I drive a 6pd
Better Engine Sound
Less Torque Steer - due to lack of torque?
Old 02-15-2003, 08:57 PM
Pro

Originally posted by pjonkheer1
I'm a bit confused... What does the TLS have the Max doesn't in terms of options/luxury?? Now that I think about it, the Maxima has a number of luxury features the TLS is lacking. A few examples...

Heated Steering Wheel
Auto Off Headlights
Digital Compass
Real Fog Lights
More Room

As I am a pretty big TLS fan myself, it all comes down to personal preference. I hate it when people say one car is better than the other hands down! These 2 cars are pretty much dead even and appeal to the same people. You and me. My likes for the TLS are as follows...

Better Leather
Better Fit/Finish
Better Auto Tranny - I drive a 6pd
Better Engine Sound
Less Torque Steer - due to lack of torque?
I'll agree with your post w/exception of the Better Auto Tranny, as it seems several CL/TL guys posted about trannys going bad. But in terms of having an extra gear, the TL's is probably better.

As far as engine sound, the Maxima's problem is that it has no engine sound. (At least in my case.)

Peace

Quick Reply: Maxima goes down again!!!