Major Navi issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 09:26 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Major Navi issue

This guy I know had an updated navi disk for my TL (i'm running 2.05 still) And offered to sell it to me for 85 bucks. I wanted to throw the disk in to see if I could notice the updates to see if it would be worth it to upgrade. Now, after putting my old disk back in, the blue screen is up saying that it can't read the DVD and to consult the dealer. Is there anyway to reset this or anyway to fix it?
Thanks,
Zac
Old 07-19-2005, 09:59 AM
TL = Tranny Lubrication

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Perhaps resetting the system? Disconnect the battery for 5-10 mins and reattach - enter the Navi code and see if it picks up the old disk?
Old 07-19-2005, 01:08 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
disconnect the battery and reset the system won't work.
When you pop in the new version of the NAVI disc, the firmware has been updated, and it is expecting to read data out of the new disc from now on.
It is kind of stupid that they didn't make it backward compatible, but it is not.
Either you have to use the new disc or you have to go back to the dealer to have them flash your firmware back to the old version.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:18 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alient
you have to go back to the dealer to have them flash your firmware back to the old version.
That is not true. While I forget the exact sequence of buttons to hit, you can command the navi to "Force Upload" from the DVD disc back to the older version. I know you have to go through the setup menu, which I think is holding the menu button and upwards on the joystick while turning the car on to the II position (engine NOT on.) The force command is around, but you have to look. The Helms manual will help greatly.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:17 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Stein
That is not true. While I forget the exact sequence of buttons to hit, you can command the navi to "Force Upload" from the DVD disc back to the older version. I know you have to go through the setup menu, which I think is holding the menu button and upwards on the joystick while turning the car on to the II position (engine NOT on.) The force command is around, but you have to look. The Helms manual will help greatly.
Which is probably what the dealer does- Does anybody have the actual procedure?
Old 07-19-2005, 03:37 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Maybe the disk is dirty.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup. You need to do a "force upgrade/downgrade". The firware is different from once version to another. I have seen a topic on this forum before on how to do it but since we have changed to the new style, the search does not seem to go back any further.

Dealer might be able to do it.

Good Luck.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:31 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From Paul Mooney's site...
There is an interesting hidden menu. Turn on the key to boot the navi unit, select OK, then press and hold these buttons in sequence MENU>>MAP>>CANCEL. When all three are held down wait a few seconds and you will see the hidden menu. There are options to perform diagnostics on the system's components, reset SRAM (you need to have your navi anti-theft code handy and will lose all personal settings), force download (to go back a version), adjust for tire size changes, etc.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MikePA
From Paul Mooney's site...
There is an interesting hidden menu. Turn on the key to boot the navi unit, select OK, then press and hold these buttons in sequence MENU>>MAP>>CANCEL. When all three are held down wait a few seconds and you will see the hidden menu. There are options to perform diagnostics on the system's components, reset SRAM (you need to have your navi anti-theft code handy and will lose all personal settings), force download (to go back a version), adjust for tire size changes, etc.

Hey, thats pretty cool.... just went out and tried it.. works... needs to have more car diagnostics.... but good to know that is there anyway..
Old 07-19-2005, 08:51 PM
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 89 Posts
You can't get into the Diagnostic screen to do a force upload if you can't boot the system with the 2.05 disc. That is the dilemma...

This is what you have to do to go back...

1) Put the 2.05 disc in your unit and power your car on. After you get the error, turn the car back off.

2) Go to the back of the NAVI unit (in the trunk) and find the connector hanging by the unit that is not connected to anything. I get to it via the trunk pass-through in the rear seat.

3) You have to use a paper clip or something metal to jump the two pins in that connector together.

4) Power on the car... You will then already be in the diagnostic screen. Pick the force download option and it will reflash your firmware using the 2.05 disc in your unit.

Hope that helps you out. I have done this a few times just to get the Japanese chick's voice back! I miss her!
Old 07-20-2005, 09:39 AM
NorCal you Beezy!

Does anyone know how to adjust some of the features in the menu?

Very interested....
Old 07-20-2005, 09:50 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Megatron
You can't get into the Diagnostic screen to do a force upload if you can't boot the system with the 2.05 disc. That is the dilemma...

This is what you have to do to go back...

1) Put the 2.05 disc in your unit and power your car on. After you get the error, turn the car back off.

2) Go to the back of the NAVI unit (in the trunk) and find the connector hanging by the unit that is not connected to anything. I get to it via the trunk pass-through in the rear seat.

3) You have to use a paper clip or something metal to jump the two pins in that connector together.

4) Power on the car... You will then already be in the diagnostic screen. Pick the force download option and it will reflash your firmware using the 2.05 disc in your unit.

Hope that helps you out. I have done this a few times just to get the Japanese chick's voice back! I miss her!
That is huge man, thank you
Old 07-20-2005, 12:19 PM
Drifting

Some further information on the diag. screen i was able to locate (after actually knowing what terminology to search for hehe):

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...force+download

(post 7)

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...force+download

(post 8- info on adjusting the sensitivity of the sensors so the arrow doesnt shake around as much on the map screen)
Old 07-20-2005, 12:43 PM
NorCal you Beezy!

Well done