M3/M5 Spolier painting questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 01:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
M3/M5 Spolier painting questions

Ok, so I looked on ebay and found the M3/M5 lip spoiler for the TL, however no one makes it in NGM and I sent e-mails about it getting it done twice with no response...

So does anyone know how hard it would be or what process I should use for repainting one in this color. The body shops want way too much $$$ to do the job. I'm thinking I'll will use this company to get my factory color put into a spray can:http://www.towerpaint.com/. I just need some advice on the whole repainting process really. Any advice guys? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-14-2007, 02:18 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mcflyguy24
Ok, so I looked on ebay and found the M3/M5 lip spoiler for the TL, however no one makes it in NGM and I sent e-mails about it getting it done twice with no response...

So does anyone know how hard it would be or what process I should use for repainting one in this color. The body shops want way too much $$$ to do the job. I'm thinking I'll will use this company to get my factory color put into a spray can:http://www.towerpaint.com/. I just need some advice on the whole repainting process really. Any advice guys? Thanks in advance!
How much did the bodyshop quote you? They may be the cheaper alternative.

I recently painted my mudflaps myself using paint from www.paintscratch.com. Click on the link "Products to order", and choose "rubberized bumpers" and you'll see a list of products they recommend for painting a rubber part. I ordered the adhesion promoter, rubberized primer, paint, clearcoat and rubbing compound from them. Came up to about $75 shipped. That's probably more than the spoiler costs though.

The results were pretty good, but I was painting my old mudflaps which had some gouges, etc., so they're not perfect. I also have leftover paint so I can paint other items if I feel creative later.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:06 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im sorta in the same boat. i got this patch on my bumper i want to spray but dont want to shell $3-400 to have the whole thing painted. was looking to do a cheap spray job thru towerpaint or some similar site. what products do you think i will need?
Old 06-14-2007, 11:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by bonknhead
How much did the bodyshop quote you? They may be the cheaper alternative.

I recently painted my mudflaps myself using paint from www.paintscratch.com. Click on the link "Products to order", and choose "rubberized bumpers" and you'll see a list of products they recommend for painting a rubber part. I ordered the adhesion promoter, rubberized primer, paint, clearcoat and rubbing compound from them. Came up to about $75 shipped. That's probably more than the spoiler costs though.

The results were pretty good, but I was painting my old mudflaps which had some gouges, etc., so they're not perfect. I also have leftover paint so I can paint other items if I feel creative later.
The body shop quoted $185, but I'm gonna call a few more places to find out if the guy was on crack or something. I told them it was a small polyurethane lip spoiler that costs like $40.00. I just wish the company (on ebay) that makes it would at least respond to my inquiry about making it in NGM.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:39 PM
Suzuka Master

I guess I could probally just paint it the way you would paint an engine cover though...hopefully tower paint can actually match the color code.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:07 AM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mcflyguy24
I guess I could probally just paint it the way you would paint an engine cover though...hopefully tower paint can actually match the color code.
Keep in mind that you have to bend the M3/M5 lip a bit when you mount it. It's not a huge bend, but the paint may crack. Luckily the lip I purchased from eBay came in SSM, so I had no problems.

There was another member here on AZ who had their mudflaps painted by a bodyshop. The paint on the flaps showed some flex marks not long after. Using the rubberized primer, I haven't seen any such flex marks in the month after I painted the flaps.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Instructor

Does the spolier have to be for Acuras 02-03? or does it just have to be an M3 Spoiler?

Also it says "Original Black Color" for some of them on ebay... was wondering if that is NBP sort of?
Old 06-16-2007, 01:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by EnvyAce
Does the spolier have to be for Acuras 02-03? or does it just have to be an M3 Spoiler?

Also it says "Original Black Color" for some of them on ebay... was wondering if that is NBP sort of?
I'm gonna order one tomorrow. I remember seeing someone selling it in flat black with no paint once before...do you have the link? PM it if ya do (no ebay links on zine!!) If not I'm sure I can find it.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by bonknhead
Keep in mind that you have to bend the M3/M5 lip a bit when you mount it. It's not a huge bend, but the paint may crack. Luckily the lip I purchased from eBay came in SSM, so I had no problems.

There was another member here on AZ who had their mudflaps painted by a bodyshop. The paint on the flaps showed some flex marks not long after. Using the rubberized primer, I haven't seen any such flex marks in the month after I painted the flaps.
Cool, I'll get some rubberized primer then as well. Thanks for the advice! Hopefully no cracks will appear. I didn't know I would have to bend the spoiler to get it to fit either, but now that i think about it, it makes perfect sense. Too bad those shmucks wouldn't answer my inquiry about getting it done in NGM, even though they have a pic of it in NGM on a 3rd gen TL!!! Yet they don't sell that color for any gen??? Oh well, guess it's no popular enough...
Old 06-17-2007, 01:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Just ordered the lip spoiler unpainted. Nighty night for me now...
Old 06-21-2007, 03:11 PM
Racer

Can anyone tell me if there's a difference in length of the M3 or M5 lip spoiler.

I am looking for the one that will touch end to end to the trunk.
Does anyone know how long it has to be?

Thanks
Old 06-21-2007, 03:50 PM
WILL PLAY POOL FOR CASH

Originally Posted by BAPE head
Can anyone tell me if there's a difference in length of the M3 or M5 lip spoiler.

Thanks
I have one (NBP) that is .5" short on each side. Not sure if diffent sellers have different dimensions, but that is what I got.

Paint match is perfect, BTW.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Black-Balled
I have one (NBP) that is .5" short on each side. Not sure if diffent sellers have different dimensions, but that is what I got.

Paint match is perfect, BTW.
Did you get yours on EBAY? was it labelled M3 or M5?

Thanks
Old 06-21-2007, 09:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks
It sounds like you are looking for a mugen spoiler, that is if you want it to go the entire length of the trunk area, the M3/M5 spoiler only covers the actual trunk lid. Your best bet is to get a wings west flush mount spoiler.

When the one I ordered gets to me I'll post pics. Hopefully all sellers are selling the same spoiler though and there isn't a variation in length. The one I ordered said M3 on the item description not M5, but some sellers say M5.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:03 AM
WILL PLAY POOL FOR CASH

Did you get yours on EBAY? was it labelled M3 or M5?

Thanks
Can't recall, sorry to say. Looked thru the ebay feedback and can't fig. seller's ID either...
Old 06-22-2007, 12:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Here's a pic of mine. It's an M3 lip spoiler. I lined it up on my trunk and it fits perfectly once you bend it to the curve of the trunks edge. Anyhow the seller name on ebay is biospeedster and has 99.1% postive feedback. Hope this helps.

Now all i have to do is order some factory paint in a can from tower paint, along with rubberized primer and adhesion promoter for the primer. Lots of work, but what can you do when they don't sell this product in NGM anywhere.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Suzuka Master

^I've really gotta start resizing my pics from now on too. LOL!^
Old 07-01-2007, 06:52 PM
Racer

I just picked up the M3 lip spoiler (Geniune BMW) and it too short on each side of the trunk.

Which one do i need to buy? the M5 one? (Genuine or Replica)

I want one that touches-or comes close to-edge of trunk to edge of trunk
Old 07-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Suzuka Master

I just picked up the M3 lip spoiler (Geniune BMW) and it too short on each side of the trunk.

Which one do i need to buy? the M5 one? (Genuine or Replica)

I want one that touches-or comes close to-edge of trunk to edge of trunk
I ordered mine through the store Biospeedster on ebay motors. If you use the parts and accessories finder search it will come up, however I think all the ebay stores use the same spoilers. I used them, because they had them unpainted and the other stores didn't sell them in my body color. No love for NGM I guess...