lowering problem???

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2003, 05:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lowering problem???

i plan to lower my car with the comptech springs but i'm worrying about problems when i load up the trunk and backseat...i.e. will the back end bottom out or rub with a lot of weight back there? im talking about going to and from school on about a 1000 mi road trip...anyone who's done this knows how much crap will be in the back of my car. any experience suggestions??? holla.
Old 07-06-2003, 06:00 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: lowering problem???

Originally posted by wabone
i plan to lower my car with the comptech springs but i'm worrying about problems when i load up the trunk and backseat...i.e. will the back end bottom out or rub with a lot of weight back there? im talking about going to and from school on about a 1000 mi road trip...anyone who's done this knows how much crap will be in the back of my car. any experience suggestions??? holla.
The problems of rubing is not from the springs, but from aftermarket wheels, which are usually wider.

I have H&R's for 80k miles and have taken trips over 1000 miles with a loaded trunk and 4 people in the car actually five with the baby. So don't worry about it.
Old 07-06-2003, 06:23 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I have my car dropped 2"s in the front and back, and I've ridden with 4 passengers before with no problems. I've also done it with a pretty good amount of weight in the car with no problems either. Just be extra careful on bumpy roads so you don't hit any big potholes, and be careful if you know there is a big dip in the road because the quick change in elevation can also sometimes bottom out the shocks, causing them to hit the mounting at the top of the engine bay.
Old 07-06-2003, 01:10 PM
Intermediate

thanks guys.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:20 PM
Instructor

Bitium - what kind of H&R springs do you have? Sport or OE? That will make a difference, won't it?

And LiQice - do you have aftermarket wheels with your spring setup? If not, you shouldn't be rubbing at all. If so, are they 17" or 18", and what size are the tires? That, too, will make a difference.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:36 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by lhommec13
Bitium - what kind of H&R springs do you have? Sport or OE? That will make a difference, won't it?

And LiQice - do you have aftermarket wheels with your spring setup? If not, you shouldn't be rubbing at all. If so, are they 17" or 18", and what size are the tires? That, too, will make a difference.
I have sports, but it shouldn't make a difference.

Like I said rubbing comes from the wheel and tire conbination or total width. Our stock rims are 6.5 inches. I have 7.5 inches aftermarket wheels with tires that don't stick out, so my total is 7.5 wide. I would side 7.5 inches on the line, very close to rubbing, but it does not. Anything bigger than 7.5 expect it to rubbed, unless you don't lower your car. The reason I say don't lower your car, is because you are exceding the max width then fenderwell can handle, it will rub no matter what, but more if you lowered.

Then we need to get into offset of the wheels, yes you could get wider wheels and having a high + offset making most of the wheel inside from the center of the wheel.

That was mainly in the rear. For the front you have a little different story, since your wheels turn. The lower you make it, the more likely your wheels are to rub against the sides when you turn. The offset also plays a part here, because like I say the higher the + offset the more likely to rub inside. Then again too low of an offset the more likely to rub on the outside (fender)

Conclusion, most wheels 7.5 inches wide with the same overall radious as stock (more rim less tire) with a + 45 offset or more, should not have any problems with rubbing. Remember the lower you make your car the higher the possibility of rubbing, not just because of the springs, but because all of the above.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:20 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by lhommec13

Stock wheels right now, no rubbing at all like you said. Just the shocks bottoming out once in awhile (and as long as I'm careful its pretty much never).