Low-cost GPS navi prototype success!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 11:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Low-cost GPS navi prototype success!

My reseach for a low-cost GPS device for the car has made a giant leap today

There are several GPS devices out there, but all of them rather expensive ($300CAD for mono LCD to $800CAD for color LCD from Magellan, etc). And being in Canada we don't have navi option in the car. So I've been searching for low-cost GPS in the car. And today, I made good progress.

I bought a USB GPS recevier from ebay. Costed me about 130$CAD. Then I installed it on my crappy laptop from work, together with a moving map tracking software (obtained seperately). And Voila! I got my very own GPS!

Took a while to figure out how to initialize the GPS recevier. But once done, it was sweet. It was very accurate in terms of position and speed. The reported speed on the GPS matches my speedo. The tracking got a bit confused if you are stationary. But once you start moving, it tracks very well. I was driving around my neighbourhood with dense residential streets and tight turns, the thing never lost a beat. It never got confused and always shows within 3 car lengths of my actual position.

I'm very happy with the accuracy of it, and the low cost. Now I just need to find a small, cheap PC/laptop and a LCD display to integrate it to the car
Old 03-25-2004, 12:05 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Yup, I had that for the longest. Actually you should of been able to get that one even cheaper than $130CAD. Copilot is the best out there and there are a lot of recievers. If I were you get your hands on Microsoft Map Point 2004, that shit is the best software I can find. All the rest suck. Street and Trips is almost like Map Point BUT with a lot less capabilities. With Map Point you can get an add-on for like $10 and then it will talk and auto recalc your route once you go off course.

I've looked into a bunch of LCD displays and stuff. Even tried getting a crappy thin laptop those that weigh less than 3 pounds but they are all too $$ still. Just using my 6lb Compaq with 14.1" screen. Works great in the car and it talks to me

btw, I must have used at least 7 different GPS software out there and I will say Map Point is the best so will my friends. CoPilot if you can get your hands on it though. Retail is $400US.

Got me from NYC to Toronto and around Toronto as well.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:19 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think keeping a laptop in your car isn't a good solution and no touch screen would really suck. Plus where would you mount the laptop? My GPS solution is a Pocket PC w/ a bluetooth GPS. It's a touch screen too so works pretty well and it's very acurate.

Old 03-25-2004, 12:40 AM
Instructor

factory nav > clips and velcro GPS.

ib the 2000 option debate :-/
Old 03-25-2004, 10:25 AM
Drifting

I just felt for 2k I could get a laptop and some extra stuff. I had a laptop anyway so I was like save the money. I rarely need the GPS anyway unless I head out to another state for a road trip then it'll be to get around town.

The pocket PC is definitely a less cumbersome approach compared to the laptop.

I was thinking of putting in a Touch Screen LCD display and then hook up the laptop or some carputer type thing.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:51 AM
Banned

I was thinking of a tablet PC (touch screen). Cost is way higher then it is worth tho.

Originally posted by Bxscig
I just felt for 2k I could get a laptop and some extra stuff. I had a laptop anyway so I was like save the money. I rarely need the GPS anyway unless I head out to another state for a road trip then it'll be to get around town.

The pocket PC is definitely a less cumbersome approach compared to the laptop.

I was thinking of putting in a Touch Screen LCD display and then hook up the laptop or some carputer type thing.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:55 AM
Drifting

I believe there are touch screen addons for laptops/lcd displays that u put on top of the screen as well.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally posted by The Acclude
factory nav > clips and velcro GPS.
Being able to move navi unit from one car to another > factory navi :ar15:

Nice find Tatewaki
Old 03-25-2004, 08:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by hzm82
I was thinking of a tablet PC (touch screen). Cost is way higher then it is worth tho.
Actually there are 7" touch screens with usb/serial interface so you can control your laptop from it. They sell those on ebay. Here is a sample

Old 03-25-2004, 08:16 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Tatewaki
Actually there are 7" touch screens with usb/serial interface so you can control your laptop from it. They sell those on ebay. Here is a sample

I know there are touch screens interfaces for a laptop (I never said there wasn't . ), I just don't want to go that route because that's two extra equpiment I have to carry and could potentially get jacked/dmg/power/buy. It would also be a pain to bring that along everytime you go out.

Atleast the tablet PCs is one piece equipment and I seen some car mounts for those.

I think the PDA would be the best solution for replacement GPS because it already has a touch screen (no you don't need a stylus to press the screen unless your hand is freaken huge), both the PDA and GPS reciever fits in your pocket, tons of car mounting option, takes less room, and bluetooth GPS means no wires and it can be stored anywhere and hidden.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:25 PM
Banned

I had people PMing me with questions on the PDA navi and Mounting, so I'll post some of the answers here.

Here is what the mounting looks like.

The bluetooth GPS recieve goes in the glove box and I ran the power to the accessories power plugs behind the fuse box. It has an internal battery that last about 4-8 hrs. I also have an exteral gps antenna so I can keep the recieve hidden. It works pretty well and picks up sat. pretty quick. Both the Bluetooth GPS and Arkon Power Mount can be picked up from ebay.

The Arkon Power PDA Mount has it's own speaker (for voice promps) and can power the PDA. It has different mounting styles too, so be sure to check around for which one is more sutiable for you.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:30 PM
Drifting

Those are the ones I saw on ebay and those are about $300. I don't know how they will be mounted though. You got any ideas?
Old 03-25-2004, 09:42 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Bxscig
Those are the ones I saw on ebay and those are about $300. I don't know how they will be mounted though. You got any ideas?
Wonder how thick those things are........
Old 03-25-2004, 09:47 PM
Banned

I dunno............

HP IPAQ 2215
$400
Bluetooth GPS Recieve
$130
Power PDA Mount
$40
Total
$570

Laptop
$1000
Wired GPS reciever
$100
Touch Screen
$300
Mounting solutions
???

I think the PDA approach is a good solution to aftermarket navi.
Hell getting a DELL X3 PDA for like $200 and it's even cheaper. I tried the laptop approach long time ago, mounting solutions are too cumbersome.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:25 PM
9th Gear

I have a Dell Axim X-5 ($199) with a Global Sat Compact Flash GPS ($110...which also works in my laptop if I want a bigger monitor). I use Routis 2004 map software ($100) and LOVE IT! I've tried Microsoft's products, Mapopolis and Routis. Mapopolis & Routis are the favorites in the PocketPC world - both with their very loyal users.

I drove from Florida to Texas a couple weeks ago. Leaving my driveway I did a search in Routis for my destination hotel in San Antonio, TX. A couple seconds later it came up with a route, distance to go, estimated time, etc. Any time you make a turn from your course it automatically recalc's your route. You can also put in a series of "stopover" points if you, say, wanted to hit the Grand Canyon on the way to Las Vegas.

I never carry a road atlas anymore!
-Groucho
Old 03-25-2004, 11:28 PM
Banned

Originally posted by groucho
I have a Dell Axim X-5 ($199) with a Global Sat Compact Flash GPS ($110...which also works in my laptop if I want a bigger monitor). I use Routis 2004 map software ($100) and LOVE IT! I've tried Microsoft's products, Mapopolis and Routis. Mapopolis & Routis are the favorites in the PocketPC world - both with their very loyal users.

I drove from Florida to Texas a couple weeks ago. Leaving my driveway I did a search in Routis for my destination hotel in San Antonio, TX. A couple seconds later it came up with a route, distance to go, estimated time, etc. Any time you make a turn from your course it automatically recalc's your route. You can also put in a series of "stopover" points if you, say, wanted to hit the Grand Canyon on the way to Las Vegas.

I never carry a road atlas anymore!
-Groucho
Is the Compact Flash card w/ or w/o the external antenna. How is the reception? I'm using Mapopolis, any main difference between that and Routis? Any reason for me to switch software? I mean I totally love Mapopolis and the map details.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:25 AM
Drifting

Its just that I had a laptop already so I went this route. I am sure if I had a PDA I would of been looking at that solution.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:51 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

I think keeping a laptop in your car isn't a good solution and no touch screen would really suck. Plus where would you mount the laptop? My GPS solution is a Pocket PC w/ a bluetooth GPS. It's a touch screen too so works pretty well and it's very acurate.

Looks great (a little dark due to the time of day the pic was taken) what was the damage on the whole install? I am looking for a navi solution but not looking to buy a new laptop for my car's navi system (if I had an old one I would be usung it already) I don;t know much about pocket size PCs, I am asuming bluetooth is a gps programme.

1) What's the total cost for the install and 2) can you use the GPS function while walking or camping (I know a couple of them you can)

Do you have a Daytime pic of the install. I am curious if there is a "eyesore" mount covering part of your dash bord controls (couldn't see in the dark pic, but the glowing navi looks great!!)

you also mentioned "touchscreen" how useful is the touchscreeen feature or is it kind of pointless (why do you need touchscreen???)

Thanks for any info Cheers!!!
Old 03-26-2004, 09:09 AM
TL-S driver

I thought of doing that for the longest time but I didn't know where to mount the laptop and I wasn't too secure with leaving the laptop in the car. For now, I'm sticking to the old fashion map. I like the whole palm pilot idea. I'm going to see if my Sony Clie has something like that.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:31 AM
Drifting

There are small computers that you can mount into the car making it permanent. The laptop can be removed. I only hook it up when I need it which is rare.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:36 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by ResidualFreedom
you also mentioned "touchscreen" how useful is the touchscreeen feature or is it kind of pointless (why do you need touchscreen???)
The touch screen feature is definitely nice. You probably won't understand unless you use it. It is for like those times where the car is moving so you dont have to divert all your attention. It is a lot easier in my opinion.

There are times I wish I had touchscreen features... well that is something i am looking into.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:39 AM
Head Wanker

I was researching the Garmin iQue 3600 but the other nav solutions here have given me some food for thought.

The iQue ($425) is a Palm licensed device with which Garmin integrated their GPS receiver and software. Some things I had liked about it was built-in voice directions, included software, and ability to take the unit with you for music/other apps. Also Garmin has a great reputation for nav systems.

Some things I didn't like were fixed GPS receiver (you can't upgrade your PDA separately), comparatively slow processor (200mhz), and Palm OS (not as slick as PocketPC).

All these PDA solutions are pretty cost effective, but the biggest issue I have in general is that PDA screens are sorta small (might cause an accident if you try to squint for a position check). I'm going to wait a while and see if prices drop some more to offset this negative.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:00 AM
Banned

Originally posted by ResidualFreedom
I am asuming bluetooth is a gps programme.

1) What's the total cost for the install and 2) can you use the GPS function while walking or camping (I know a couple of them you can)

Do you have a Daytime pic of the install. I am curious if there is a "eyesore" mount covering part of your dash bord controls (couldn't see in the dark pic, but the glowing navi looks great!!)

Thanks for any info Cheers!!!
No damage to my car, the PDA mount is an add on. It can be put on the windshield or mouted like I have it.

Bluetooth makes the connection between the GPS reciever(size of a very small cell phone) and the Pocket PC/Palm. So you don't have to physically hook the wires up. Kinda like wifi wireless network.

1) Total cost is around $600-$800 (price varies for which PDA you get). You get HP IPAQ 2215 w/ built in bluetooth (<$400) or IPAQ 1910 ($200-$300) or Dell X5 ($200+) or X3 ($300). All of these Pocket PCs are great. You can also get a Palm but I don't have experience with them. You would need to buy a bluetooth card for the dells ($30-$100). Then the GPS Bluetooth Reciever is around ($100-$200 bidding on ebay). Power PDA Mount ($40-$60 also from ebay). The GPS software is around $100, most come with voice promp.

2) Yes you can use GPS while walking. The bluetooth reciever is wireless so just stick that in your pocket and you got a hand held GPS system.

I posted a pic of the GPS mount setup above. Take a look at that. The Arkon Power PDA mount isn't by far the prettiest (you can buy prettier looking ones online) but it was the cheapest and had the most mounting solution.

Touch screen is very useful. Would you want to be hunting for that mouse or touch pad or track ball while you're driving? You really need a touch screen when you miss a turn and need to reroute (some software auto reroute).
Old 03-26-2004, 11:07 AM
Banned

Originally posted by wanker256
I was researching the Garmin iQue 3600 but the other nav solutions here have given me some food for thought.

The iQue ($425) is a Palm licensed device with which Garmin integrated their GPS receiver and software. Some things I had liked about it was built-in voice directions, included software, and ability to take the unit with you for music/other apps. Also Garmin has a great reputation for nav systems.

Some things I didn't like were fixed GPS receiver (you can't upgrade your PDA separately), comparatively slow processor (200mhz), and Palm OS (not as slick as PocketPC).

All these PDA solutions are pretty cost effective, but the biggest issue I have in general is that PDA screens are sorta small (might cause an accident if you try to squint for a position check). I'm going to wait a while and see if prices drop some more to offset this negative.
I was going to buy the iQue. The slow processor and $500-$600 (at that time, might be cheaper now) turned me away.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:53 PM
9th Gear

My Globalsat Compact Flash GPS has an antenna built into the CF unit but also came with a remote antenna. So far I've used my PocketPC with the CF GPS (without the remote antenna) in a Grand Cherokee, Mazda6, Avalon, TL, Miata, Tahoe, and several misc rental cars without any reception problems at all. Also used it in several airplanes without a hitch (without the external antenna). It's a 12 channel receiver & it always sees plenty satelites no matter what vehicle I'm in.

Have fun,
-Groucho
Old 03-26-2004, 03:27 PM
Head Wanker

Originally posted by groucho
My Globalsat Compact Flash GPS has an antenna built into the CF unit but also came with a remote antenna. So far I've used my PocketPC with the CF GPS (without the remote antenna) in a Grand Cherokee, Mazda6, Avalon, TL, Miata, Tahoe, and several misc rental cars without any reception problems at all. Also used it in several airplanes without a hitch (without the external antenna). It's a 12 channel receiver & it always sees plenty satelites no matter what vehicle I'm in.

Have fun,
-Groucho
Does your setup give audio directions? I meant to ask before but forgot.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:52 PM
Pro

You forgot the memory card. Internal storage isn't enough. That's another $100+ for 512mb or about 70 bucks for 256.

I have been using PDA Nav for almost 2 years now (after I sold the TL with Nav). I used TomTom Navigator, Destinator, Pharos Ostia and all worked well. GPS direction isn't bad on the PDA but storage limit is a pain to load that's why I am now upgrading to a full carputer.

For 800 bucks + whatever the cost of the storage, I can get a full blown carputer (with a real 12Volt Power/regulator, not the AC inverter), touchscreen, DVD, GPS, MP3, Network etc.

No need to fumbling with touchpad, mousepad, keyboard. Touchscreen+Voice commands+USB remote control will do everything

1) Total cost is around $600-$800 (price varies for which PDA you get). You get HP IPAQ 2215 w/ built in bluetooth (<$400) or IPAQ 1910 ($200-$300) or Dell X5 ($200+) or X3 ($300). All of these Pocket PCs are great. You can also get a Palm but I don't have experience with them. You would need to buy a bluetooth card for the dells ($30-$100). Then the GPS Bluetooth Reciever is around ($100-$200 bidding on ebay). Power PDA Mount ($40-$60 also from ebay). The GPS software is around $100, most come with voice promp.

2) Yes you can use GPS while walking. The bluetooth reciever is wireless so just stick that in your pocket and you got a hand held GPS system.

I posted a pic of the GPS mount setup above. Take a look at that. The Arkon Power PDA mount isn't by far the prettiest (you can buy prettier looking ones online) but it was the cheapest and had the most mounting solution.

Touch screen is very useful. Would you want to be hunting for that mouse or touch pad or track ball while you're driving? You really need a touch screen when you miss a turn and need to reroute (some software auto reroute). [/B]
Old 03-26-2004, 05:54 PM
Pro

That's the screen i got.... Work very well.

Old 03-26-2004, 06:31 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Bigmonkey70
You forgot the memory card. Internal storage isn't enough. That's another $100+ for 512mb or about 70 bucks for 256.

I have been using PDA Nav for almost 2 years now (after I sold the TL with Nav). I used TomTom Navigator, Destinator, Pharos Ostia and all worked well. GPS direction isn't bad on the PDA but storage limit is a pain to load that's why I am now upgrading to a full carputer.

For 800 bucks + whatever the cost of the storage, I can get a full blown carputer (with a real 12Volt Power/regulator, not the AC inverter), touchscreen, DVD, GPS, MP3, Network etc.

No need to fumbling with touchpad, mousepad, keyboard. Touchscreen+Voice commands+USB remote control will do everything
I'm using Mapopolis and it's on a 256 SD card, I have the whole SE region. They card cost like $50-$60 at compusa. Also the HP IPAQ and Dell X5 are both dual slot memory. Which mean you have plenty of space and you don't have to buy expensive 512 MB+ cards. PDA small size advantage beats any memory issues. I also have a HP Notebook Ze series and there is noway I want to keep that in my car or lug it back and forth.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:34 PM
Banned

That's the screen i got.... Work very well.
I like to see where you mount this in your car. Pictures please.

My HP Notebook also has bluetooth and I can also use it as a GPS device. I never did because there was no place to put my computer. If that touch screen for $300 can be mounted somewhere properly I wouldn't mind keeping the notebook in there since I'm getting the new thinkpad soon.

Post pics of your setup and what mount you use.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:24 PM
Pro

My lexus is still a work in progress and should be done in a few week. I am going to mount this screen up high for now (plan might change though) and the whole PC will fit in the glove compartment. Go Here for my Celica setup. Sorry I can't attach pics on this site.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?i...40&mode=invite
Old 03-27-2004, 01:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

can you post more details and specs on your carputer setup?
Old 03-27-2004, 08:40 AM
Pro

For My Celica carputer setup:

Its a regular home PC that I stripped down to bare metal and custom install in the trunk. No touchscreen on this one but voice command software does the job. Pictures in my previous post

Cost less than $200 bucks for this system.

AMD Athlon 800Mhz
512Mb
40gb HD
CD-RW (no need DVD here because I already have alpine DVD)
IR KB/Mouse
350W Power Inverter
Delorme Earthmate GPS (for fun only already got Alpine GPS)
ATI All In Wonder with Video out
Wireless network card
Microphone for Voice Recognition
Hercules 5.1 Soundcard
Alpine 6.5" Motorized Indash
9" Necvox roof LCD
5 Cooling Fans

Software:
Windows XP
MediaCar software
Realize Voice Recognition (great stuffs)
Netstumbler
Street Atlas 2004

I have the power inverter wired to a relay then too switch as well as the PC power and reset switch so i can turn on/off as i please

Yes everything is hidden, when you look in you see nothing unusual.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:02 AM
Pro

For my SC300 setup:

This is still work in progress so no pics yet. Everything here is automatic bootup and shutdown with ignition switch/cranking.
Except for the LCD, everything else is hidden inside my tiny glove compartment. All I have to do is to put away my lcd. And I can sync with my PDA This setup cost me less than $800 (including over $100 on shipping ) Some parts I already have laying around.

VIA EPIA-M10000 Nehemiah 1GHz MB (7" x7" dimension)
PW-120A 120Watts power supply that snap on the MB
IPTS 12Volts Power regulator and sequencer
Toshiba SD-C2502 Slim Notebook DVD with IDE adapter
Seagate Barraccuda 3.5" 160gb Hard drive
512Mb Ram
VGA/Video/Sound/Network/USB all built-in the VIA MB
USB RF Keyboard/Trackball
Lilliput 7" VGA LCD with USB touchscreen
Microphone for voice recognition
Earthmate GPS receiver
USB Wireless Network card
ATI USB remote control

Software
Windows XP
MediaCar
Realized Voice Recognition
Zoom DVD player
Street Atlas 2004 (might go with Routis later)
Netstumbler

Sound route to an FM Modulator. I didn't want to change the good OEM system and there is no aux adapter made. It sounds quality is acceptable.

As for power supply, If you want top of the line PSU, Opus is the best but 200 bucks, nah.... so i settle with the PW/ITPS package that cost 94 bucks. As I turn on the ignition/start engine, the ITPS waits for 5 second and turn on the power which turn on the carputer. As I shut down the engine and ignition off, the ITPS wait for 5 seconds and send soft shutdown to the motherboard. Power still available for about 45 seconds which is plenty for most carputer shutdown process. Then it turn off the power. If the computer stuck at shutdown, it will be a hard shutdown after 45 second.
Old 03-27-2004, 11:39 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by NSXNEXT
Being able to move navi unit from one car to another > factory navi :ar15:

Nice find Tatewaki
OEM > messy pda/laptop look + inconvienece.

Navi-> DVD conversion > *
Old 03-27-2004, 03:12 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is my low-cost GPS solution:
The unit fits perfectly between the dash and the temp control.

Garmin Legend GPS: $100
Mapsource software: $100
Two rechargable AAA battery
or you can get a cigarette lighter power adapter for around $20
Old 03-27-2004, 03:32 PM
Banned

Originally posted by acura_fantacy
Here is my low-cost GPS solution:
The unit fits perfectly between the dash and the temp control.

Garmin Legend GPS: $100
Mapsource software: $100
Two rechargable AAA battery
or you can get a cigarette lighter power adapter for around $20
fix your pix.

get a free account on www.acurainspired.com and you can hot link pics from their gallery.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:53 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
try again:

Old 03-27-2004, 06:36 PM
Banned

umm no color and voice promp?
Old 03-27-2004, 07:15 PM
Racer

Now I just need to find a small, cheap PC/laptop and a LCD display to integrate it to the car
I have a PC that's the size of a CD changer or DVD nav unit, can be installed in the same area using a custom bracket and allows you the use of a in-car GPS unit and other functions.

all you would have to do is pick out what kind of screen you want and put it all together.

a barebones unit is under $400.

Quick Reply: Low-cost GPS navi prototype success!