LOUD BANG from p to r.. only happened twice..

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
LOUD BANG from p to r.. only happened twice..

Ok so I just went to the store to gas up for work in the morning. I was on a slight slope with the front facing downhill. My gf was driving and when she put the car into reverse from park there was a LOUD bang. I thought she didnt have her foot firmly on the brake so a I freaked a little and she put it back in park. But with her foot firmly on the brake the 2nd time it made the sound again. I am cringing right now thinking about it. The after that she put it in park for a minute and shifted again and everything was fine. We stopped at a couple places and it hasnt happened again. No signs of slipping or anything, that I have noticed.... yet. I do usually get a little noise when shifting into drive if parked upwards on a hill but this was far from the norm. I hate to ask but is it possibly that my tranny is going to fail soon? If so any idea how long I may have left??
Old 07-04-2012, 09:23 PM
2000 TL Black on Beige

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Your car has six weeks to live . . .

just joking . . . . . I get nervous anytime my gal drives my car.
She never sets or releases the parking brake the way I do, etc etc etc.

Drive it yourself, and get back to us in a week.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sperry
Your car has six weeks to live . . .

just joking . . . . . I get nervous anytime my gal drives my car.
She never sets or releases the parking brake the way I do, etc etc etc.

Drive it yourself, and get back to us in a week.
lol. Yeah Im hoping its no big deal. I guess Im gonna have to see how she does tomorrow on my ride to and from work. I probaly will stop by the dealer and grab some dw 1 and do a 1x3 tomorrow just to be on the safe side. I really hope this is just a fluke. I just ordered all new inner/outer tie rods, lower balljoints, sway bar links, and a p side axle. Id hate for the tranny to go out.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:51 PM
uʍop ǝpısdn ǝdʎʇ uɐɔ ı

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
It probably is a broken motor mount. Mine does this from time to time and my motor mounts are shot.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 205 Likes on 180 Posts
Coulda just been the weight of the car resting on the gears from the incline. Like u said maybe she didn't engage parking break all the way. I think the thump was just the car fighting its own weight to get out of park.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:51 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 557 Likes on 447 Posts
It's the motor mounts. Probably the rear mount. I've never seen a rear fail by itself, so it's likely the front is blown too. Cheap insurance to change both tranny mounts too (~$50 for both).
Old 07-05-2012, 04:44 PM
2003 TL-p

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
+2 on the rear motor mount. i used to get a terrible thud from P to R and from D5 to R. Changed that pain the @$$ rear mount and no more trouble.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Instructor

Ok so I think you guys are right about the rear motor mount. I did a drain and refill today with dw 1 and I inspected the rear engine mount and it did look pretty shot. I was wondering would a bad rear engine mount cause constant vibration while driving? Ive been thinking that I need new axles, but now am wondering if it may be related to my mount. I also notice a clank sound sometimes at startup from up front, possibly rear mount as well? Btw drove the car all day today and no other noticable tranny problems. Does anyone have a diy for the rear mount replacement by any chance?
Old 07-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Unregistered Member

Originally Posted by jra8858
Ok so I think you guys are right about the rear motor mount. I did a drain and refill today with dw 1 and I inspected the rear engine mount and it did look pretty shot. I was wondering would a bad rear engine mount cause constant vibration while driving? Ive been thinking that I need new axles, but now am wondering if it may be related to my mount. I also notice a clank sound sometimes at startup from up front, possibly rear mount as well? Btw drove the car all day today and no other noticable tranny problems. Does anyone have a diy for the rear mount replacement by any chance?
Yes, broken rear mount will definitely cause vibrations. Clank in front during start up is probably a mount too (maybe front). Again, rear mount doesn't really fail bay itself. This is the typical scenario:

-Front mount goes bad
-Extra wear from bad front mount causes side mount to go bad
-Bad front and side mounts cause rear mount to wear out

Sometimes the side mount is actually ok, but whenever a rear mount goes bad, then the front mount is almost always shot.

I would do the front and side mount by yourself. If you legitimately look forward to changing the rear mount, then do that yourself too. Otherwise, let a shop change the rear mount.

You can find a DIY for the front and side on the TL side. The rear doesn't have a clear DIY, just a list of instructions and tips (no pics).
Old 07-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Unregistered Member

Originally Posted by Karanx7
You can find a DIY for the front and side on the TL side.
Wait... What... Where am I? Nvm just look at the DIY list. Thought I was at the CL side for some reason.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Karanx7
Yes, broken rear mount will definitely cause vibrations. Clank in front during start up is probably a mount too (maybe front). Again, rear mount doesn't really fail bay itself. This is the typical scenario:

-Front mount goes bad
-Extra wear from bad front mount causes side mount to go bad
-Bad front and side mounts cause rear mount to wear out

Sometimes the side mount is actually ok, but whenever a rear mount goes bad, then the front mount is almost always shot.

I would do the front and side mount by yourself. If you legitimately look forward to changing the rear mount, then do that yourself too. Otherwise, let a shop change the rear mount.

You can find a DIY for the front and side on the TL side. The rear doesn't have a clear DIY, just a list of instructions and tips (no pics).
Thanks for the advice. I probaly will just replace all 3 at once to be on the safe side. Is there a specific brand that proves to be most reliable that I should look into? As far as bringing my tl to shop for the rear mount replacement, I'm more of a diy'er and hate bringing my car into the shop to be worked on. Theres very few I trust....
Old 07-06-2012, 02:23 AM
Unregistered Member

Originally Posted by jra8858
Thanks for the advice. I probaly will just replace all 3 at once to be on the safe side. Is there a specific brand that proves to be most reliable that I should look into? As far as bringing my tl to shop for the rear mount replacement, I'm more of a diy'er and hate bringing my car into the shop to be worked on. Theres very few I trust....
OEM isn't too expensive. However, the DEA mounts with vac are really cheap, so that's another option.

If you don't care about vibrations, you can get the XLR8 mounts. They will give you some vibrations, but they will last much longer than OEM style mounts.

GL with the rear mount. That's not gonna be fun, but it's more a test of tools.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 205 Likes on 180 Posts
The rear mount is a test of patience and willingness to absorb punishment! Lol not really but damn it was a pain. Just be patient. Take the strut bar off and it will save a lot of scratches on your arms too.