looking for your help/insight on some questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 09:47 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question looking for your help/insight on some questions

I am in LOVE with the TL- I am currently shopping around local dealers and EBay for a deal under $15K, and have actually found several. I have done all the research (hours and hours) and the Acura TL is heads above every other prospect on my list.

My main concern was in coming here and seeing such a long list of threads about transmission problems in the 99, which is probably what I will be looking at.

Should this problem encourage me to look past the TL?? Should I question the 99 Tl reliability and take a second look at something different??

To be honest, I would really like to overlook these problems if I could, as the TL just seems like the perfect car to upgrade to, from my very reliable Accord EX V6 (which unfortunately was totaled recently).

Also, is the Bose system really THAT BAD?? Like, is it worse than my current Accord EX setup? I thought the sound in my 98 Accord EX was good enough, so do you think I would be really dissapointed by the Bose in the TL?

Lastly, is the leather quality that big of an issue? When looking at some posts, people seemed to make a big deal out of the leather not being of high enough quality. In the pics. I have seen, the leather appears to be very attractive and hold up very well.

A few more questions

Is it possible to upgrade the audio system? If so, I would like to put in the Infinity 6002i's in the front doors (and the back doors if they are the same size as the front).

Also, I saw someone with a bad transmission from a 99' just post.

Is this transmission problem so bad that I should avoid a used TL?? Do I NEED to buy from a dealership? Would it hurt if I bought from a private seller- meaning, would I qualify for any kind of recall or services that Acura might provide on a faulty transmission?

Thanks in advance!

-joe
Old 06-29-2003, 09:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
actually most of the transmission problems started when the 5 spd was introduced, which was in the 2000 models and on
Old 06-30-2003, 02:09 PM
Racer

Anyone Else?

Could anyone answer any of the other questions?

thanks,
joe
Old 06-30-2003, 02:30 PM
Pro

If you like the Accord Stock system I think you will be ok with the Bose.

I personally hate the d*mn thing but then I haven't really found a stock system I liked. From what I heard Monsoon and Mark Levinson, even JBL sounds really good but have never heard them yet.

Stupid Bose system has all highs and no lows. That 9 inch woofer is so weak. I turn the tremble down about 3 from the middle and bass all the way up. I found its the best balance for my music.
Old 06-30-2003, 02:32 PM
Instructor

I don't think that you will be too impressed with the Bose system. Hondas do not come with good sound system, it will get you by but if that's a concern then you will definately have a problem.
The leather in the car is no problem and you will be impressed by it. The tranny is not that bad either, I have a 99 and it has 80k miles and it shifts smooth..it's always a worry on my mind..but it's that way with every car.
Old 06-30-2003, 03:08 PM
Drifting

I have a 03 TLS and the leather quality is all I expected. I have no complaints, it's just nice. I was thoroughly impressed with the BOSE system and still am. It sounds great to me, just enough knock to make me happy. Unless your the kind that likes to have your trunk rattling and drown everyone out at the light the TL Bose won't do for you. But I personally think it sounds quality for a stock system. As far as the tranny issue, get the VIN number and call their local dealer to see if it's been in for any problems. But like someone said on the forum, they weren't having problems with the trannies till 00 when the 5-speed was introduced. I hope this helps. Oh and try and buy a used one from someone old (no offense)!
Old 06-30-2003, 08:38 PM
Racer

BTW

A few more questions

Is it possible to upgrade the audio system? If so, I would like to put in the Infinity 6002i's in the front doors (and the back doors if they are the same size as the front).

Also, I saw someone with a bad transmission from a 99' just post.

Is this transmission problem so bad that I should avoid a used TL? Do I NEED to buy from a dealership? Would it hurt if I bought from a private seller- meaning, would I qualify for any kind of recall or services that Acura might provide on a faulty transmission?

Thanks again,
Joe
Old 06-30-2003, 08:52 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've upgraded my audio system in its entirety. You will need a custom face plate fabricated for your head unit, as there are none commercially available. I have Dynaudio 240MKII component set in the front, Infinity Kappa mids in the rear, Nak head unit and changer, Nak 4 channel amp, RF sub amp, and JL audio 10" sub and it sounds pretty good. You will definitely want to upgrade the sound system, the stock Blose is terrible.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:02 PM
Racer

TL Prospect here is my advice maybe this might help you in your decision. I just bought a 99 Acura last wednesday i have 98 driven the honda accord coupe , 2000 toyota camry and then made this purchase.

Seating imo is awesome i have no problems / complaints about it i find them very comfortable like sitting on a broke in leather couch heh.

Bose sound system well the most i have cranked it at is half and again no complaints i think bose is more popular for its clarity then decibels

Transmission hmmm i cant say nothing about that yet just like vijay and after reading the forums its always on my mind but my shifting is smooth so i am not completely paranoid yet the only thing i notice is the clunk when i put it in (R) from Drive .

Now here is my other opinion since i used to sell cars. Get an electronic diagnosis done from your trusted mechanic if the report comes out clean then you are gold if not then just look at another one. The only benefit you get from buying from a dealer would be they would make it acura-certified which means you will get 7 years/10000 ltd warranty, so instead you call a few dealerships and find out if you can purchase the warranty separately. Thats what i am working on right now myself and the quote i got is around $975 for 1 yr or 12000 miles OR $1775 for 2 yrs and 24000 miles if it passes their electronic diagnosis ....

there is no recall on the transmission but if you come across some news plz look me up too and mostly all kinds of warranty are transferrable .. Hope this helps you in making your purchase and Good Luck...
Old 07-01-2003, 04:26 PM
Racer

thanks

Thanks for your help on that.

So, is this transmission something that is almost inevitable with all 99 TLs (Couldn't help but notice the big "99TL tranny petition" post and other posts about the same)? I mean, if I havea mechanic check out a 99 TL now, and it's fine, does that only mean that later on the transmission will likely fail?

thanks,
joe
Old 07-01-2003, 04:44 PM
Advanced

My two cents. . .

Mine - '99 brand new (15 miles), now 96K+

Tranny - no issues, other than an occasional clunk if I do a slow-and-go at stop signs. I get the impression that I hit it at the wrong time when it is in the middle of resetting/downshifting from 3/2 down to 1st - probably more me than the car.

Leather - I am a rather large person, and tend to be a bit rougher on the seats than most. The leather has worn better than average, but there is still a few square inches on the far left portion of the seat back that seems to have worn more than the rest. But, overall, pretty good. BTW - the drivers seats squeak on the '99's, regardless of weight of the driver.

Check out the NHTSB (www.nhtsa.dot.gov) web site for other '99 and other year issues.

Bose - A wise man once wrote, "if there are no highs or lows, it must be Bose". I agree. Stereo is OK for what it is (stock), and I have not found any "drop-in" replacements, which leads me to believe that (like a previous post) it is mostly custom work = $$$. But then again, it serves it's purpose well, all things considered. Biggest gripe after the frequency range is the power - I NEED MORE!!! All four windows down at 80-85 and even the "loudest" CD gets drowned out a bit.

Other issues:

Sunroof shade - if in rear position while sunroof closed, it rattles. Known issue with Acura. Drives me nuts, so I keep it shut. No biggie if it doesn't bother you.

CD holder in dash - won't stay in. Drives me nuts, so I generally throw it in the back (my wife always puts it back in later - ERRRRR!!!).

EGR recall - make sure that the car you have gets this done before 80K miles. Got burned earlier this year on this one to the tune of $200.

"check engine" catalytic converter codes - this one just happened last week. Light came on, and, like a good customer, took to dealer. Get story that the cat con codes came on, they reset the codes (which "could have happened anytime in the past six months or so", according to my service "advisor"), and the codes won't come back. They *wanted*/*tried to coerce* me to replace the whole cat con package ($950+labor) then, but I said no. I wouldn't mention this, but the NHTSB web site (above) has a complaint about this very thing, so I would have someone check out all the codes stored in the OBDII before buying.

Brakes - I am hard on brakes, and get about 38K-39K on the fronts, and about 57K-58K on the rears. Replacements are reasonable from Acura, and friends with Benz's having problems with "lifetime" brakes & squeals. I'll stick with the OEM pads, for now.

Tires - Stocks lasted about 38K. Replaced twice now with larger 245 width tires (Pirelli Z-rated & Dunlop W-rated) - sticks like glue with the bigger corners. Bit too big for the wells - probably next set going to "middle out" for 225's.

Bit more than "two cents" but hoped it helped.

Later. . .
Old 07-01-2003, 04:49 PM
Racer

Lots of insight, thanks!
So with all of those problems and the worry over possible transmission going out, do you still recommend the car?

-Joe
Old 07-01-2003, 04:53 PM
Advanced

:-) - In a heartbeat.
Old 07-01-2003, 05:10 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Originally posted by TLProspect
So with all of those problems and the worry over possible transmission going out, do you still recommend the car?

-Joe

HeLL YeAh!!!:wow:

@cUr@-TL
Old 07-02-2003, 06:01 PM
Racer

and,,,

So, if I have a car that I potentially want to buy, say, from Ebay, inspected, and it comes out well, should I still look into an extended warranty (considering most of the vehicles I am looking at are 99s with between 65 and 85k miles on them)

thanks,
joe
Old 07-02-2003, 07:40 PM
Drifting

im 18 so i like to bump my music loud and im impressed with the stock bose system. alot of my friends think the bose is awsome to. i have no complaints. dont even worry bout the tranny problem. yea u should get the extended warranty just incase u have ne problems with the car.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:02 PM
Racer

Thanks

Appreciate the help!
Old 07-04-2003, 11:46 AM
Racer

I have 2 last questions...

Does mileage play a big part in used car? Obviously it shows wear and depreciation, but since this is an Acura (know for reliability and high quality, right?), should I avoid cars over 75,000 mi? My price limit is 13,5k, and cars around that in mileage are about what fit in my price range typically. I know people with honda accords from the early 90s that still work well, is it the same case with these newer Acura's?

and lastly,
How is the suspension in the 99 Tl in comparison to a 98AccordEX Sedan? Is it more comfortable and absorbant of bumps? If I had only 1 complaint about my Honda, it was that it drove a bit rough.

Thanks again
Joe
Old 07-04-2003, 12:21 PM
Drifting

I think you'll like the TL. the transmission issue is not that bad on the 99. mostly the 5 speed, in particular 02+... as for the sound system, there are 2 kinds of people... BOSE lovers and of course, BOSE haters. I personally like bose... "no highs, no lows, it must be Bose"? well, to me it's great... and I think if you like the Accord one you'll have no problem with the TL one. It's pretty good for a stock system. Mileage, I think it's best to get something under 50k, as long as possible... a few thousand miles shouldn't play a big role though. the suspension, I have no clue, never had an Accord before. and yeah, if you don't plan on modding the TL, don't worry about the transmission...
Old 07-04-2003, 01:34 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I love my TL, I love my tranny, and I love my bose!

btw - I just turned 19 today, and even at my age, I still love the bose.... I have it cranked most of the time, and it does a fine job for me. Sometimes I wish that I could get a little more out of it, but its A-OK for me. No need to burst my eardrums yet.