Looking to buy, but ?'s first

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 07:31 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking to buy, but ?'s first

I am hearing one great story about the Acura TL from epinions and other review sites where all of the drivers love their TL, and then other places such as this I hear all of the bad things about the TL. I am looking to purchase a '00 3.2 TL, but I do not want a car that is going to need constant transmission repair and squeak and rattle on me. Are these really issues that TL owners face? If so, why does the car retain such a high resale price? Is Acura doing anything for the owners in order to solve the transmission problems? Any advice on a pending sale would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:41 AM
6th Gear

Hey man, it's good that you come here to do your research, that's how I did it too when I first bought my car. I never had any problem with my 2001TL until recently. Had my transmission replaced and it's too early to tell how it's going since I just got it back 2 days ago. But I did not have any problem with them taking care of it. Customer service is satisfactory. I've taken my car in for oil change and stuff like that to the dealer and they treat it pretty nice. So, aside from the tranny problem, I don't have any other major problem. I don't hear it squeak or squeal like a lot of these guys say they do, and I'm pretty perceptive when it comes to sound. In fact, my brother is buying a 2003 TL this weekend. You make the call.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:48 AM
Banned

Re: Looking to buy, but ?'s first

Originally posted by audiphile
I am hearing one great story about the Acura TL from epinions and other review sites where all of the drivers love their TL, and then other places such as this I hear all of the bad things about the TL. I am looking to purchase a '00 3.2 TL, but I do not want a car that is going to need constant transmission repair and squeak and rattle on me. Are these really issues that TL owners face? If so, why does the car retain such a high resale price? Is Acura doing anything for the owners in order to solve the transmission problems? Any advice on a pending sale would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
People complain more when their transmission dies, but there are lots of sastified people out there. But yes the trans issue is a problem you probably will face if your car is between 00-03 (early years) and it still has the orig trans. The car retains a high resale vaule because......hey its a great car. Acura has extended the trans warrenty to 100k miles and their new trans they put in are pretty reliable from what I heard. Try to keep the price below Kelly Blue Book vaule and try to get as low miles as possible. I hope you do buy the TL so we can all welcome you to the fourm properly.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:59 AM
Cruisin'

Re: Re: Looking to buy, but ?'s first

Originally posted by hzm82
But yes the trans issue is a problem you probably will face if your car is between 00-03 (early years) and it still has the orig trans.
2000-2003 are the EARLY years??? i was under the impression that the trannies on the newer cars were supposed to have been "fixed". and does this apply to base model, TL-S, or both?
Old 04-11-2003, 12:24 PM
Racer

Supposedly, trans problem got fixed second half of 2003.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:01 PM
Oracle Apps/Database Dude

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I have an '01 TL w/ Navi and 31,000 miles. Bought new. 0 problems.
Old 04-11-2003, 03:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Contrary to popular belief - this site IS for those folks who appreciate/love the TL. As with anything in life... when things are going well folks aren't really compelled to post a message. But when an issue crops up the messages start a flyin'. It takes a while, but pretty soon you'll see that there's more people having fun with their cars, modding them, and meeting other members -- than there are complaints.

I have to admit I chuckled when you said epinions.com liked the car but that this site didn't. It sure feels like that sometimes, but after hanging out for two years now I know that 95% of us knuckleheads love our cars!

Good luck with your decision,

V.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:22 PM
Racer

my .02c worth..
2002 TL-P.. no probs .. loving very minute of it...
J
Old 04-11-2003, 09:45 PM
Advanced

The tranny problems are not an issue for you if you buy a late production 03. Also, they are not as prevalent as you might think based on reading this board. Overall, I think the actual cars affected are about 2% of all production but I'm sure someone here will correct me

Go ahead and go for it. You will be very happy with your decision!