Looking to buy an Acura TL - LOTS of questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 09:08 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy an Acura TL - LOTS of questions

Please bear with me, I have been a Maxima man up until now...

What I am looking to buy: A 2000-2001 Silver Acura TL (black leather interior) with around 50,000 miles on it. How much should I expect to pay?

First set of questions: I have heard that there have been problems with the tranny. What cars are affected and will dealers replace them regardless of if they are out of warranty? What is the standard factory warranty for these cars? Is it possible to buy an extended warranty?

Second set of questions: What are the differences between the 2000, 2001, and 2002 models? Since I am buying used what should be my limit on mileage (ie: below 50k, between 50k-75k)? What options should I look for to come with the car that are not standard?

Third set of questions: What mods are essential for this beast in your eyes? What does an air intake system actually do? Is the difference noticeable? What type should I get for the car? I plan on tinting, under car neons, windshield washer nozzle neons, clearing out my headlights, and a sound system overhaul. What fog lights should I get if the car I buy doesn't come with them (I plan on getting a car with Xenons)? Do any of these mods become difficult with this car? Where are some places I can purchase the parts for the mods?

Fourth set of questions: The BOSE has to go, I hate BOSE. What is a recommended upgrade? As I understand it the doors (all four) have 4" and the rear deck has 8" (kinda odd). I currently have an Alpine 7894 in my current car with two 4" and two 6x9" with a MTX AMP and 2 10" subs. What should I save / scrap from my current system? What should I throw in to replace the BOSE? Does anyone sell custom TL subwoofer enclosures for the trunk? What about headunit dash kits (the BOSE headunit is pretty damn big)?

Thanks a lot! As soon as I find answers to all of these questions I will be ready to make the plunge. We had an Acura Legend about 10 years ago, it was really solid and I hope this car compliments it.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:29 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure if your post is serious or not, but in the case that it is, please do not get a TL if you are going to do underbody neons or windshield wiper neons.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:58 PM
Racer

I second that motion.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:14 PM
Race Director

Dude get the car, and browse these forums and SEARCH..

IN TIME you will learn everything, TAKE A DEEP BREATH and RELAX..

I wouldn't pay more than 20k for the car u mentioned but than again it depends on where u live..

I saw a 2002 TL (NOT TYPE-S) w/ 50k miles for 22k and the dealer wouldn't go down on the price..

Also I dont know how much u are willing to pay, but I would consider the TYPE-S if you want that extra OOMPH in power
Old 07-14-2003, 10:15 PM
Advanced

Alright, well if they really don't suit the car then I will forget about them. I am just trying to figure out the more important things for now. My car is not reliable and I need to get rid of it and get a new one. Right now the Acura TL is at the top of my list.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:16 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by 2004TL
Dude get the car, and browse these forums and SEARCH..

IN TIME you will learn everything, TAKE A DEEP BREATH and RELAX..

I wouldn't pay more than 20k for the car u mentioned but than again it depends on where u live..

I saw a 2002 TL (NOT TYPE-S) w/ 50k miles for 22k and the dealer wouldn't go down on the price..

Also I dont know how much u are willing to pay, but I would consider the TYPE-S if you want that extra OOMPH in power
I would like to stay between $13k and $18k
Old 07-15-2003, 07:58 AM
10th Gear

Wink

I just bought a 2000 TL Navi with 32,000 miles for $17,700 from a individual. Had been looking for 2 months and local dealers would not negotiate much on non Navi TL's. One dealer sales mgr said he would come down to $20,200 from $20,950 on a non Navi 2000 TL with 36,000 miles. After I bought this car, I took it to that sales mgr and asked him how much he would give me for it and he said $15,000!!! Stop, Thief!!! Mine is certified bumper to bumper til 2005 or 62,000 since it was first a 1 yr lease vehicle and then bought by the guy I bought it from. Look around a little and be patient.

By th by, my TL is in perfect condition and I am liking it a lot!
Old 07-15-2003, 11:54 AM
Advanced

Can anyone please help me with my questions? I know I am full of them, but I need a new car ASAP, and was going to get a Maxima, but shifted to a TL. I just do not want to go out and get the car and then find out little things here and there that would've originally caused me to get another vehicle or just the TL but with other options (ie: navigation) / year.

I have been looking on:

www.ebaymotors.com
www.autotrader.com
www.bargainnews.com

Any other places on-line I could look?
Old 07-15-2003, 12:09 PM
Racer

josh stein, Not trying to be rude here but what you posted that you are looking to do with the car once you get it goes against the thoughts and beliefs of the people on this forum. I'm not speaking for anyone else here. I'm just stating an opinion on what I have seen posted on this forum including the pictures I've seen here from other members. Take a moment to look around this forum and see what people do to their TL's here. Take a look at this sites items for sale to get an idea of what you can buy for it too. I'd say this is why you haven't gotten much response to your initial post.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:50 PM
Advanced

So you are saying that because I mentioned neons that is why I am not getting a response?
Old 07-15-2003, 01:13 PM
Racer

Re: Looking to buy an Acura TL - LOTS of questions

Originally posted by josh stein
Please bear with me, I have been a Maxima man up until now...

What I am looking to buy: A 2000-2001 Silver Acura TL (black leather interior) with around 50,000 miles on it. How much should I expect to pay?

Check http://www.edmunds.com

First set of questions: I have heard that there have been problems with the tranny. What cars are affected and will dealers replace them regardless of if they are out of warranty? What is the standard factory warranty for these cars? Is it possible to buy an extended warranty?

Cars mostly affected are 2000-early 2003 TLs. Tranmissions warranty has been extended to 7/100k on those models. Replacements are up the dealer. Standard warranty is 4/60k. You can buy an extended warranty from lots of places including the dealer.

Second set of questions: What are the differences between the 2000, 2001, and 2002 models? Since I am buying used what should be my limit on mileage (ie: below 50k, between 50k-75k)? What options should I look for to come with the car that are not standard?

1999-2001 have similar body styles. Minor improvements from year to year (side air bags, memory seats, etc). 2002 introduced the Type-S and new front headlights, grill, and taillights. Limit on mileage is up to personal preference.

Third set of questions: What mods are essential for this beast in your eyes? What does an air intake system actually do? Is the difference noticeable? What type should I get for the car? I plan on tinting, under car neons, windshield washer nozzle neons, clearing out my headlights, and a sound system overhaul. What fog lights should I get if the car I buy doesn't come with them (I plan on getting a car with Xenons)? Do any of these mods become difficult with this car? Where are some places I can purchase the parts for the mods?

Mods up to personal preference. Many people here get wheels, intake, springs, headers, exhaust, tints, cold air intake, etc. DO NOT GET UNDERBODY NEONS OR WINDSHIELD NOZZLE NEONS. Foglight modification is difficult on 1999-2001. You can get mods from this site.

Fourth set of questions: The BOSE has to go, I hate BOSE. What is a recommended upgrade? As I understand it the doors (all four) have 4" and the rear deck has 8" (kinda odd). I currently have an Alpine 7894 in my current car with two 4" and two 6x9" with a MTX AMP and 2 10" subs. What should I save / scrap from my current system? What should I throw in to replace the BOSE? Does anyone sell custom TL subwoofer enclosures for the trunk? What about headunit dash kits (the BOSE headunit is pretty damn big)?

I had a faceplate custom fabricated from Wilsonart laminate mounted on plywood. I have a dash-mounted Nak head unit and changer, Dynaudio front components, Infinity Kappa rear (midrange only), Nak 4-channel amp and RF sub amp with a JL Audio 10" in the trunk. Scrap everything from the current system.

Thanks a lot! As soon as I find answers to all of these questions I will be ready to make the plunge. We had an Acura Legend about 10 years ago, it was really solid and I hope this car compliments it.
Since you're still a noob, I answered what I could here. Most of these questions have already been answered, you can use the search feature to check the archive. Hope this helps.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,211 Posts
I agree, the search is your friend on this forum. There is a wealth of information on everything you asked.

PS, no neons.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:19 PM
Drifting

Dude, did you say underbody neons? Are you freakin nuts? This is not a Civic, please reconsider.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:14 PM
Instructor

Underbody neons are not my thing, but people put a lot gaudier stuff on their cars. Saw a 5 series BMW with a 3" rice exhaust today. It was so out of place, I had to laugh. To each their own.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:01 AM
Racer

So you are saying that because I mentioned neons that is why I am not getting a response?
yes. But I see that rhizopod was rather nice to you. We are all awaiting your retraction and your word that you will not put neons on the TL and then you will be welcomed into the family.

PS - No airplane wing spoiler and no huge ricer exhaust.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:14 AM
Race Director

K dude listen..

if you want your budget to be under 18k than u cant afford a Type-S

So forget that..

Now The question is do you want a Navi?

If you want Navi than u better shop around or get a TL with high miles to get it under 18k..

It is not hard to shop around and you save tons of money, but in your case it seems you are eager to get the TL..

Also if you are still considering the Neons, I would recommend a Civic
Old 07-16-2003, 03:21 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by galfert
yes. But I see that rhizopod was rather nice to you. We are all awaiting your retraction and your word that you will not put neons on the TL and then you will be welcomed into the family.

PS - No airplane wing spoiler and no huge ricer exhaust.
Yeah, well I have reconsidered some of the things as of now, as because for example money spent on an intake is more worth spent than neons. I also wasn't planning on a spoiler other than that of factory standard and I wasn't going to touch the exhaust.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:45 AM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

I have no problems with neons or blacklights.... BUT <B>if you buy a TL and put those windshield wiper nozzle leds on your nice TL, I will severely beat you! </B>

And if you do prepare to be laughed at or beaten up by drivers of the TL or our cars little brother the CL.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED
Old 07-16-2003, 08:40 AM
Racer

Yeah, well I have reconsidered some of the things as of now, as because for example money spent on an intake is more worth spent than neons. I also wasn't planning on a spoiler other than that of factory standard and I wasn't going to touch the exhaust.
It's not about money well spent, man. It's about recognizing the fact that underbody neons and windshield nozzle neons are ridiculous and stupid. If this is not immediately obvious to you, the TL is not the car for you.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:19 AM
Racer

Alright guys he said he wasn't going to put the neons on. Lets get off his back on this.

Josh Stein, let me be the first to welcome you to the TL family. Although obviously this isn't official until you actually get it. Keep us posted and let us know if you have any more questions.

PS - I just realized that on my 02 TL-S I don't have windshield washer nozzels on my hood. I've seen some TL models that do. Anyone know what year they moved them off the hood?
Old 07-16-2003, 09:20 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by galfert
Alright guys he said he wasn't going to put the neons on. Lets get off his back on this.

Josh Stein, let me be the first to welcome you to the TL family. Although obviously this isn't official until you actually get it. Keep us posted and let us know if you have any more questions.

PS - I just realized that on my 02 TL-S I don't have windshield washer nozzels on my hood. I've seen some TL models that do. Anyone know what year they moved them off the hood?
Nope, but I hate them being on the hood and I'm glad mine doesn't have them.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:33 PM
Advanced

Heh, I didn't even notice that there were no windshield washer nozzles on the hood.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:43 PM
Racer

My '99 has the nozzles on the hood. I'm not sure when they stopped that.. my guess is 2002.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:50 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by rhizopod
My '99 has the nozzles on the hood. I'm not sure when they stopped that.. my guess is 2002.
Hmm...I didnt see any on the pictures I just looked at of 2000s...