Looking at a 99 TL need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2001, 12:10 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the board Jazmyn. The 99 TL is a great car...of course I'm a little biased since I have one.=) the 30k mile service costs about $250-300 at the dealer, but if you have a trusted shop or mechanic, it can be done for far less. It is basically an oil and fluid change, change of air filter, and lots of inspections (ie belts brake pads etc) and any adjustments needed to the brakes etc. Look to see if the car you are looking at still has the manual. The service requirements are listed there.
As for the NAV, the 99 uses older technology. It is a CD based unit. the newer ones are DVD based and can provide faster and more info. I am sure some owners of 99's with NAV will give you better feedback there.
Another difference is the 99 has a 4 speed transmission with full shift controil available through all 4 gears. (You can shift into any gear using the manual mode) the newer TL's have 5-speeds, but the transmission automatically shifts between 1-2.
Problems: Dependingupon how you drive, the stock tires leave a little to be desired. At 30k, you may consider changing them out to better ones when they are ready to go.
I know, a little too much info all at once. I am sure you'll get your questions answered quickly though. Good luck with getting the "new" car!

------------------
1999 Satin Silver TL Dunlop SP9000 215-45/17-mounted on CL-S 17" Rims
H&R Springs-Axiss MetalMasterPads-Crossdrilled Rotors
-Inspire Tailights-20/30/40 tint

2000 S2000 Honda Roadster
- Mingster Aeroscreen, Smokin Front mesh Grill, Clear Sidemarkers...
Old 05-05-2001, 01:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

99 don't havd side-airbags,and look for brake problems..and welcome

------------------
2000 3.2TL Firepepper red w/o nav
stock spoiler
Comptech springs
Custom front Grill
Bosch 4+ platinum spark plug
25% Tint/Mud guards/
acura-tl.com sticker at front windshield

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by VTEC on May 05, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 05-05-2001, 03:07 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 99 TL Navi is based on a CD. Which means that there are like 6 to 7 CDs to cover the whole US. For example, I live in NJ and my Navi CD covers the northeast. Meanwhile, the 00-02 TL uses a DVD which covers the whole US on one DVD. But the downside is that it does not cover individual street name in detail as the 99 Navi. IOW, the 99 Navi has more detailed coverage on local streets than the newer Navi but does not cover the whole US on one CD. Hope I didn't confuse you.

------------------
Old 05-05-2001, 04:10 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by BlackShadow:
The 99 TL Navi is based on a CD. Which means that there are like 6 to 7 CDs to cover the whole US. For example, I live in NJ and my Navi CD covers the northeast. Meanwhile, the 00-02 TL uses a DVD which covers the whole US on one DVD. But the downside is that it does not cover individual street name in detail as the 99 Navi. IOW, the 99 Navi has more detailed coverage on local streets than the newer Navi but does not cover the whole US on one CD. Hope I didn't confuse you.

Boy, you confused me!

The 99 TL navigation is based on a PCMCIA Hard Drive (HD not CD). I am 100% sure that the 99 is a hard drive, unless there was a few that snuck out with CD navs. This is the first I've ever heard of Acura having a CD based NAV.

The 2000 (DVD based) has much more detailed coverage over the 99, I have tested this myself driving with my friend in his 99 w/NAV. According to Acura, there are 8 times more POI (points of interest) as well.

The 2000+ on DVD covers the entire country on one DVD, no changing if you go out of the area as there is no "home area" in the DVD. That part I agree with.

One more difference. Updates with the 99 NAV can be done at the dealer , they remove the hard drive and overwrite your data with the newest update. I believe the 99 is updated quarterly. In the 2000+, there is an update yearly. You have to buy the DVD and you do the update yourself (pop out the old DVD and pop in the new one). With the 99 NAV's I believe the first 2 years are free. With the 2000+'s you get squat for free, but you have a much more detailed, faster loading, more area covering NAV system.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.adamoski.com/acura.html" TARGET=_blank> </A>
Old 05-05-2001, 04:27 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oops, I meant a hard drive. I was thinking about a song on a CD when I was writing that up. Thanks for the correction Jason.
BTW, I guess we were told different information on the amount of POI covered.
Old 05-05-2001, 05:04 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
jazmyn,
where are you located?
I'm going to sell my TL in a few weeks!

------------------
1999 Dark Emerald Pearl TL w/ nav
Factory underbody kit and rear spoiler.
Comptech springs, sways, headers and exhaust.
RS Akimoto Funnel Ram III Intake.
18x7.5 +48 5Zigen Heidfeld wheels with 225/40ZR18 Nitto NT-555 tires.
Inspire Tail-lights with Polarg M-23 P8711R signal bulbs.
DEI Viper 550ESP Alarm
Pics of my TL
Pics of my S2000
Old 05-05-2001, 11:36 PM

Question Looking at a 99 TL need help

Hi all my first posting here. I am lloking at a 99 tl with 30,000 miles and a navaigation system. here's my questions.

I am assuming the 30000 mile service has not been done. What does this cost?

Is the navigation system any different in the newer models than the 99? Any known problems with the nav?

Any problem areas I should be concerned with?

Any extra info much appreciated.

Thanks
Jazmyn