View Poll Results: Does Oil type really matter to you?
Keepin it for the long haul
61.54%
Leasing so who cares
23.08%
Who cares about oil types anyway
15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

In the long run will oil type really matter

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 11:33 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the long run will oil type really matter

With all of this oil talk lately how many of us will actually keep our cars long enough to reap the benefits of using Mobile 1 or what ever premium brand you choose?

I personally would like to keep this car for quite a long time but I have a bad history of not keeping cars for very long, I am on my fourth new car in two years.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:44 AM
Banned

I intend on keeping my car for a long time .... purchased the 7/100k warranty ..... Mobil 1 straight through!

I believe that there are many members who are behind me on this one
Old 09-05-2002, 11:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Honestly I think it's all hype. There is no way I would spend the $$ for Mobil Syn, unless I was planning on keeping my car for like 15 years or something, which I'm not. As long as you keep the oil changed often (with a reputable brand) it's gonna be just fine. People feel better spending the extra $$ on syn oil, however, it really just gives them piece of mind more than anything else. For me, I use regular Valvoline and it's just fine, and I can afford to change it more than every 7000 miles or whatever schedule most people that have syn oil are on. I'm sure I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I believe it to be the truth, and have had several mechanics verify it.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:52 AM
Racer

I also use conventional oil myself. As long as you change your oil regularly, you'll be fine.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Syn oils almost always show fewer wear products on oil analyses. Syns almost always flow/pour better for a given weight. Whether the increase in wear products is sufficient to cause premature failure is debatable, BUT I'm sure that over the long haul (10 years+), synthetics do work.
I also look at from the standpoint of- even though I may not keep the car 15 years, SOMEBODY will, and I'd like to know that the engine will eventually last that long. It seems good common sense to me. I know that there are many people who couldn't care less, unless it directly affects them. I am not like that.
Also, if, like many here, your engine sees time at/near redline, the benefits of synthetic really begin to pay off. I've seen many oil pumps begin to cavitate, and lose pressure, at high RPM. Not good, especially for the valvetrain.

The peace of mind is worth the trouble.

Todd
Old 09-05-2002, 01:43 PM
Racer

conventional oil is fine

I beat the snot out of my 94 accord with oil changes about every 10k miles with conventional. I sold it at 120,000 miles and it ran perfectly. I think Honda does a great job with their engines. I had my 87 accord until about 140,000 miles and it was running perfectly as well with infrequent oil changes and a lot of hard driving. With a higher compression engine like a TLS I would use syn for piece of mind. Especially if you drive the car hard every often. If you are the type of person who keeps the car under 4000 RPM all the time, there is probably not much benefit from running synthetic. Just my $.02
Old 09-05-2002, 01:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by T Ho
Syn oils almost always show fewer wear products on oil analyses. Syns almost always flow/pour better for a given weight. Whether the increase in wear products is sufficient to cause premature failure is debatable, BUT I'm sure that over the long haul (10 years+), synthetics do work.
I also look at from the standpoint of- even though I may not keep the car 15 years, SOMEBODY will, and I'd like to know that the engine will eventually last that long. It seems good common sense to me. I know that there are many people who couldn't care less, unless it directly affects them. I am not like that.
Also, if, like many here, your engine sees time at/near redline, the benefits of synthetic really begin to pay off. I've seen many oil pumps begin to cavitate, and lose pressure, at high RPM. Not good, especially for the valvetrain.

The peace of mind is worth the trouble.

Todd
So I should spend the extra money on syn oil so 10 years down the line when some smuck is driving my car it will last for a long time for him????? I'm not too concerned with what happens to the car after I get rid of it.....really isn't my problem. As long as oil is changed regularly with a good brand, there is going to be a minimal difference between the longevity of the syn and regular oils.
Old 09-05-2002, 06:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not too concerned with what happens to the car after I get rid of it.....really isn't my problem.
I do not share your attitude. I don't treat any of my possessions as disposable. It's not a giant concern of mine, either, but I'm just not a beat-on-it-and-throw-it-away kind of guy. I see no point in creating problems for someone else.

To each his own, I suppose.

Todd
Old 09-05-2002, 07:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by T Ho
I do not share your attitude. I don't treat any of my possessions as disposable. It's not a giant concern of mine, either, but I'm just not a beat-on-it-and-throw-it-away kind of guy. I see no point in creating problems for someone else.

To each his own, I suppose.

Todd
It's cool, I understand your viewpoint, however, changing my oil every 3000 miles with regular valvoline and a honda filter is not going to effect the longevity of my engine whatsover. Trust me, whoever gets my car after me is going to be one lucky bastard! lol To each his own..
Old 09-05-2002, 08:37 PM
Racer

It's all hype, along with 3,000 mile oil changes but people will do it anyway, it gives them "piece of mind." Just my opinion.