Long Distance Purchase (from Colorado) ?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2001, 09:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Long Distance Purchase (from Colorado) ?!

I've been following this forum for a number of months. Despite the deals some of you might be getting in the SouthEast or in Southern California, I think deals are pretty rare here in Colorado. "Why?," you ask...

There is very little inventory of TL-S in Colorado. Certainly the selection is quite limited. Has anyone heard anything different?!

I've been pondering the idea of buying in California and shipping the car here. Does anyone have any experience (good/bad) with that? Cost/time/dangers... I don't mind flying to CA to see the car and close the deal.

It's somewhat tempting to just drive the 1000 miles back to Colorado. However, the 500 mile break-in would be a real pain to do via highway. Thus, I'm leaning against that.

Cost wise, I think I'll save ~$1000. I'd hope to get ~$2000 off MSRP; then, it costs ~$1000 to ship a car. I know this isn't a lot. But, its tempting... Additionally, a Colorado to/from California flight is ~$225, which is only slightly greater than the Colorado tax on $2000.
Old 05-02-2001, 11:17 PM
Racer

Welcome!
(I've only been here for two days but juniorbean already observed that I'm addicted, so be careful!)

From my experience and what I read in other posts, the TL-S seems to be in short supply throughout the midwest. I'm just trying to be patient, things will even out and the coasts won't have all the cars.

I like your idea of flying to California, or as imax suggested in another post - Florida - and getting it sooner. Come to think of it, I am going to Vegas on Memorial Day for a pool tournament....hmmmm....could be driving back home! Anyone have info on deals in Vegas?
Old 05-02-2001, 11:51 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink

Welcome evictor..Have you tried Pikes Peak Acura in Colo. Spgs.? They have some tl-S's, but not sure if they'll super deal w/ prices. Talk to Bruce Bettke or Jim Williams & say Lrpba300 sent you. Hope this helps.Was there last Fri. & they had a Aegean Blue TL-s w/ the spoiler, g.effect kit, etc. Very nice, but didn't have Nav (I think) They had a WDP TL-S in the show room w/ spoiler, g.effect kit, Nav, clear Bra, tinted, ebony inter..was very Sweeeet. I usually don't care much for white color, but that car would change my mind

------------------
2000 3.2 TL Laguna Green
29% window tint, Clear bra, no nav
225/50/16 Aqua-Flow GTW's on OEM wheels
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/lrpba300?...l=fld3&.src=ph

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Lrpba300 on May 03, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 05-03-2001, 12:02 PM

Talking

This is my first post on the site after about 5k visits. I must say thanks for all the valuable information!! It helped alot for my purchase. Anyhow, I just moved to New Jersey from Wisconsin and before I left I put a deposit down for a black TLS at the Wisconsin dealer for a new car that would be "drop shipped" or port swapped (as my dealer called it) from the factory and loaded on the truck headed to NJ. OH the car has been awesome to drive so far and well worth the wait! The reason I wanted to make a post is because I bought the car through the Wisconsin dealer and had it "drop shipped" to the local NJ dealer. All of the paperwork was done via airmail and the only extra driving I had to do was to the local NJ dealer to pick up the car. The NJ dealer were kind of jerks to me (that's another story pending in Corp. Acura), at pick-up and made it painfully obivious that they didn't want to service me because I didn't give them money. However, during my short interaction time with the NJ dealer, they did tell me that I could/should have waited to buy it directly from them because you pay the sales tax where the car is going to be registered ( I am going back to WI by years end), NOT where you buy it from.

So if you would value a "newbie's" advice, I would say pick the nearest dealer that has inventory, that'll deal, get the deal and tell them you want one (that they don't have on their lot) drop shipped to your Colorado local dealer (Acura offers this service, if the dealer says no, they are lying), then all you have to pay is the $480 destination fee like everyone else. That is if you don't mind getting sh**ty service at pickup, even though the California dealer should be taking care of you. I would say do it, as long as you can save more than it would cost to make one face 2 face visit with the Cali or wherever dealer you decide to buy from.

Oh I would also go back to your local dealer after you put a deposit down and tell them your situation, they may be inclined to deal. That's what the NJ dealer did the first time I went to see when my car would be coming. They would have added some extra service, but it was too late at that point. Sorry about the long post. If you need more info let me know. This email address may not work.
Old 05-03-2001, 01:52 PM
Intermediate

I just got back to Denver last night in my TL-S that I bought in SO CAL on Tuesday! I will post all the details in a new thread, but I would say go for it. I saved over 2,000, the drive home was great except the snowstorm last night between Vail and Denver.

This car eats steep grades for breakfast at over 100, rock solid stability, eerily quiet when not under heavy throttle! DO IT! Call Brian Hargrave at Peyton-Cramer Acura Torrance 310-539-3636.

Charles
Old 05-03-2001, 11:18 PM
Pro

I think the shipping cost will be around $1000. And you need to pay the California sales tax which is 8%. Does it worth it to you?

------------------
2002 Acura TL Type S
Nighthawk Black Pearl
Parchment Leather