license plate mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 09:51 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
license plate mods

hey everyone (especially california people):

do you guys know the laws ot removing the front license plate and putting the plate behind the windshield? I think the front plate looks REALLY ugly, and the car would look a lot better if it was taken out.

Also, the rear license plate's lights.. is it legal to change them into Blue LEDs? What about blue LED washer nozzles? I have no idea about the CA regulations about lights and license plates. Thanks
Old 06-01-2004, 10:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Removal of plate = illegal
Blue LEDs = illegal
LED washer nozzles = gay
Old 06-01-2004, 10:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Blue LEDs = illegal
LED washer nozzles = gay

Just about any visible blue light on a moving vehicle is against the law since that color is strictly reserved for police. Not that rear license plate lights would cause this, but you don’t want to begin to think about what would happen if an officer pulled you over and stuck you with an “Imitating a police vehicle” charge. So, it’s probably better to stay away from blue all together.

The last time I lived in CA (about 5 years ago), having a front plate was mandatory, so maybe doing the mod of flipping the bracket would be a nice go-between.

Nozzle lights can get you a ticket if an officer feels like they're distracting, some states don't allow them at all. Here in VA, you can get ticketed for the nozzle lights, but kids still stick them on. Personally, they don't do much for me, but even then, a nice fine accompanied with a "Fix it" ticket isn't worth a $15 mod.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Blue LEDs = illegal
LED washer nozzles = gay
:lol1:
Old 06-01-2004, 03:56 PM
Happy with my STi!

Blue LEDs = illegal
LED washer nozzles = gay
Blue LED washer nozzles are illegal. Front license plates are mandatory, no way around that one... unless you want to permanently put it in front of your front windshield. Blue light on the rear license plate light are illegal as well, but you can always change it to hyper white. My rear license plate light is hyper white and I have not gotten into any trouble with it.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:15 PM
Advanced

The first thing I did when I brought my car home last year was remove the
front plate holder. Thank god unlike other manufacturers they do not have holes in the bumper.
Illegal, yes - I have not had any problems. I would just act suprised like it came loose and fell off.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:25 PM
El Presidente

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sjdb1
The first thing I did when I brought my car home last year was remove the
front plate holder. Thank god unlike other manufacturers they do not have holes in the bumper.
Illegal, yes - I have not had any problems. I would just act suprised like it came loose and fell off.
i took mine off as well, if i get caught, oh well, ill tell em i need a bracket or somethin.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:35 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
You can do the license plate bracket flip ... Looks pretty good to me and you've still got a front license plate.

Click for Picture
Old 06-01-2004, 07:06 PM
Advanced

where in cali do you live in? i live in the bay area and i don't have a front license plate and i still haven't gotten pulled over for it yet. the chances of a cop pulling you over just for a front license plate is really slim....they usually just add that onto a speeding ticket if they see it.

don't put the license plate inside your car....that thing is a flying projectile if you ever get into an accident.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:11 PM
Happy with my STi!

Originally Posted by eric06303
where in cali do you live in? i live in the bay area and i don't have a front license plate and i still haven't gotten pulled over for it yet. the chances of a cop pulling you over just for a front license plate is really slim....they usually just add that onto a speeding ticket if they see it.

don't put the license plate inside your car....that thing is a flying projectile if you ever get into an accident.
I live in the LA county and most of my friends that have gotten a ticket is because they don't have the front license plate on. It's very common... and more strictly enforced if you drive around LAX (since cops there are just waiting to pull people over for the smallest reasons).
Old 06-01-2004, 07:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by thsiao
I live in the LA county and most of my friends that have gotten a ticket is because they don't have the front license plate on. It's very common... and more strictly enforced if you drive around LAX (since cops there are just waiting to pull people over for the smallest reasons).
AHHH, one of the big differances between NoCal & SoCal.........
Too many cops down there not doing the REALLY import tasks!!
Old 06-01-2004, 08:22 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sjdb1
AHHH, one of the big differances between NoCal & SoCal.........
Too many cops down there not doing the REALLY import tasks!!
yup...if you live around the san jose area, the cops here won't tag you for just a front license plate
Old 06-01-2004, 08:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Blue LEDs

Blue LEDs = illegal
LED washer nozzles = gay

Here in Toronto, Blue lights are for Snow Removal Equipment. So unless you have a plow attachment at the front of the TL, it would not look cool. And I agree, It IS gay.....

:toothless
Old 06-09-2004, 11:37 AM
Banned

How did u flip the license plate bracket? do u need longer screws??
Old 06-09-2004, 12:35 PM
Racer

Yea, how do you flip the license plate. I'm at illinois and its mandatory here also.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

longer bolts.
also, redrill the hole on the plastic bracket.
otherwise it sticks out past the nose of the car.
Old 06-09-2004, 07:49 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I did the flip by using two brackets that were bent at the right angle and drilled two holes into the brackets to attach to where the license plated used to mount on the car. Then I drilled two more holes into the brackets that lined up with the two bolts holding onto the license plate itself. I put the brackets in front of the plate holder but behind the plate itself and then bolted the plate through the brackets and to the license plate holder. You can file down the license plate holder just a bit on the top so the extra width of the brackets don't cause the bottom of the plate to stick out ... Or you can just wire tie the bottom of the plate together to get it to stay. No drilling into the car required and it looks pretty good imho. I did need a slightly longer set of bolts to attach everything.

BTW- The brackets I used were thin pieces of steel that you could easily bend to the shape you wanted. Even though they bend easy they're pretty strong, took quite a bit of effort to drill through them.

You can see how it looks in my link above.