Leather Experts, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 02:54 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leather Experts, please help!

Has anyone else experienced this?
'03 Black TLS Parchment leather

Yesterday I noticed a mark at the bottom of the backrest of my drivers seat. It begins just below where the perforated section meets the nonperforated.... (about belt height when I'm sitting)
It's It looks like something black has been rubbing on the leather. I guess I hadn't noticed it because it's so low on the seat (i know, no excuse). It's a strip about as wide as my belt. It's not completely solid and not a defined shape...yes my belt is the prime suspect at this point (not a new belt). What else could it be???
I obviously need to remove it but I also need to determine the cause. Should I expect tan leather seats to get marked like this? Could it just be THAT belt??? And if it's my belt, why doesn't it mark up every leather seat I sit on?
Any suggestions on how to get it out? Athough it is faded, not easily noticed from afar etc, it doesn't look like something that wants to come out to easily and I'm mortified... Any help would be most appreciated...
Old 09-29-2003, 06:34 PM
Racer

leather

is pretty new in your 03 so -

Milder is always the best approach, first thing to try is taking a soft cotton cloth or micorfiber towel that is dampened with HOT water (make sure it is just damp, not dripping, wring it out so it's moist but no water drips from it). Use the Hot towel to try and remove the offending mark. Nice pressue but don't scrub like an old wash woman . If it comes off great! Take a dry cloth and buff it lightly to remove any excess moisture and use a good leather dressing (I like Meguiars or 303) to treat the leather. (apply the conditioner and then buff it out)...

If the plain old water fails to get it out, try Zymol or Meguiars leather cleaner - don't soak it, just spray and let it sit for a minute and then repeat the modest pressue to try and get it off.

Now as to how it got their ? Depends - what do you dress your leather with? - it may be your applying to much and the belt is soaking up some excess and rubbing off it's tan onto your seat. Could just be that ..well it's hot out this summer and you have a lil pocket of heat and friction back there and it's just rubbing the hide your your belt into the grain of the car seat. Just becuase it doesn't happen to other leather furniture does not mean much. You don't sit in your car seat like you do a couch or regular old chair..
Old 09-29-2003, 08:37 PM
Cruisin'

heat/mosisture

Thanks for the insight....I considered the moisture+heat of summer theory but I didn't want to influence your opinion. I guess I'll have to untuck my shirt on the way to work to cover my belt as I can't think of anything else it could be.
Also, thanks for the tip on products because I'd really like to buy one product if at all possible.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:02 PM
Racer

in that case

Mequiars makes a cleaner/conditioner in one -

gold class in black bottle (it's a creme) works really well and keeps the leather smelling new !
Old 09-29-2003, 11:35 PM
Race Director

buy a new belt