Leather Care

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 01:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leather Care

I have an 03 Acura TL with 40k and im starting to see some serious cracks in my leather. Especially the front seats. Any suggestions on a good leather cleaner? Maybe something that'll help keep the seats from cracking or at least delay the process?
Old 08-31-2006, 01:12 AM
Instructor

do a search, there are about a million threads on this
Old 08-31-2006, 01:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tlbkcal
do a search, there are about a million threads on this

I guess the mods will close this pretty soon then
Old 08-31-2006, 09:22 AM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
Try Lexol. Spread it with your hand and let it soak, then follow the products instructions. It will become soft again.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by acutee
Try Lexol. Spread it with your hand and let it soak, then follow the products instructions. It will become soft again.

Yeah that product seems to be the favorite. I recently bought black magic leather cleaner but I didnt get the results I wanted. I think I'll give Lexol a try
Old 08-31-2006, 11:53 AM
Low and Slow

Definitely buy both Lexol products. The cleaner and the conditioner. Works like a charm.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Papa_Sean
I have an 03 Acura TL with 40k and im starting to see some serious cracks in my leather. Especially the front seats. Any suggestions on a good leather cleaner? Maybe something that'll help keep the seats from cracking or at least delay the process?
Most brand name car care name will have a product for leather care and Lexol is one of the more popular ones mentioned here. There's Zaino, Four Star, Megs, PB to name a few. You'll probably need to clean and then condition. Here's a short FYI that was posted in the W&W Forum by TOGWT:
Covered Leather (Urethane, Vinyl or MB-Tex):
Since late ‘80s early ‘90s 85% of vehicle manufacturers have used covered leather for their interior upholstery. It’s made from natural hides, but uniquely treated with a light pigmented urethane resin coating or a vinyl covering to make it more viable for automotive seating. It retains the softness of natural top-grain leather but resists fading in direct sunlight, leathers worst enemy

Spills wipe off with a moistened cloth, the urethane resin or the vinyl covering require oils to stop it from drying out (just like a paint system's clear coat) the leather also requires replacement of natural oils. Clean, condition and apply a UVR protectant.

Identifying characteristics- uniform color and grain patterns; will not scratch easily; water drops will not change color.

Recommended products-
•Urethane Coated Leather- use Groit's Leather Care or Zanio Z-10 Leather in a bottle
•Vinyl or MB-Tex Covered leather- use Groit's Leather Rejuvenator or Leatherique Prestine Clean
Old 08-31-2006, 01:21 PM
2Poor 2Furious

If you park outside a lot, consider getting tints because the UV coming in is what's killing the leather.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:40 PM
Instructor

Hey! I just restored the leather in our Accord the best I could (it's nearly 4 and has almost 55k miles on it). We've had it since day 1 and it's a garage queen but the leather on the front seats is slightly cracked and, of course, was dirty.

Remember, you're leather is nearly identical to that of the 2002 Honda Accord's leather.

1) Gently work woolite into the seats with your hands
2) With woolite on the seats, use a brush to remove dirt
3) Use an absorbant towel to wipe up the dirt and woolite
4) Repeat until clean
5) Apply 303 Aerospace Protectant

This will restore the seats to a like new condition. 303's Aerospace Protectant works wonders, since it's a UV protectant and it gives a slight matte shine to the seats.

http://www.autogeek.net/vilescbr.html <-- That's an excellent brush

Hope that helps!!
Old 08-31-2006, 09:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is pretty much the exact process I utilize except I prefer a 5:1 Woolite/Water solution which is easier to work with. You would still need a condtioner to replace the natural oils in the leather. 303 is a protectant with UV capabilities and will not replenish those oils.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
That is pretty much the exact process I utilize except I prefer a 5:1 Woolite/Water solution which is easier to work with. You would still need a condtioner to replace the natural oils in the leather. 303 is a protectant with UV capabilities and will not replenish those oils.

We have Semi-Aniline or Pigmented leather -- not sure which, maybe I'll have to stop into the dealer or visit a leather shop. The oil doesn't soak into the leather, it just sits on top. All you need is a UV protectant and a cleaner.

I did purchase a $60 kit from leatherique, ooops! Maybe I should give it a shot next summer?

Here's a quote from an article on leather care at thecarlounge.com:

Types of Leather

Aniline Leather

This type of leather is the finest quality available, sourced from the best part of the hide. It has a rich and very soft texture, has practically no surface defects (scars), and is even in color. These features make it the most expensive leather, which is why it is primarily reserved for high-end luxury vehicles. The leather is aniline dyed in a vat process and has no color coating applied to the surface, which is why it’s referred to as “unfinished leather.” Since the leather does not have any coating, it breathes better, staying cool in the summer and warm in the summer. It does absorb liquids easily so to test whether you have full aniline leather, placea drop of water on the surface of the leather. It should absorb into the hide and darken the surface.

Semi-Aniline

Semi-Aniline dyed leather is dyed and has a coating applied to the surface of the leather. The dyeing process followed by the thin coating allow for a soft a supple feel of the leather while offering the protective benefits of the surface finish. Semi-Aniline is the second most common leather installed in vehicles today. Since the leather does not breathe due to the finish coating, it can become very hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Due to the surface finish (referred to as ‘finished leather’), liquids cannot be absorbed into the surface unlike full aniline leather. To test whether you have semi aniline leather, place a drop of water on the surface of the leather. It should remain at the surface and not absorb into the hide.

Pigmented

Pigmented leather is the most common leather application found in today’s vehicles regardless of price range. The leather will have surface defects such as scars but this is covered by a thick coating of colored pigmentation. The coating may be embossed with a grain pattern for visual effect. Like semi-aniline leather, pigmented leather cannot absorb liquids because of the protective properties of the finish. Also like semi-aniline, pigmented leather is referred to as ‘finished leather’ because of the surface finish. Used in vehicles of all price ranges and especially utility vehicles and convertibles which require more durability against the elements. The water drop test should yield the same results as semi-aniline. The water should not absorb into the hide.

Suede

Suede is not commonly found in vehicles. However, a synthetic imitation known as Alcantara® is commonly found in sport luxury vehicles on the steering wheel, armrests and seat inserts both for visual purposes and grip (on the seats and steering wheel). Suede is unfinished like full aniline leather and is highly absorbent. Because Alcantara® is synthetic; it does not require the same maintenance as suede. Please refer to the website for Alcantara ® for more information on proper maintenance (www.alcantara.com).
Old 09-08-2006, 11:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by t0ast
If you park outside a lot, consider getting tints because the UV coming in is what's killing the leather.

Yea I definitley want tints but right now money is tight. But as soon as I come up with the dough I will definitley have tints on my car
Old 09-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Just02
Hey! I just restored the leather in our Accord the best I could (it's nearly 4 and has almost 55k miles on it). We've had it since day 1 and it's a garage queen but the leather on the front seats is slightly cracked and, of course, was dirty.

Remember, you're leather is nearly identical to that of the 2002 Honda Accord's leather.

1) Gently work woolite into the seats with your hands
2) With woolite on the seats, use a brush to remove dirt
3) Use an absorbant towel to wipe up the dirt and woolite
4) Repeat until clean
5) Apply 303 Aerospace Protectant

This will restore the seats to a like new condition. 303's Aerospace Protectant works wonders, since it's a UV protectant and it gives a slight matte shine to the seats.

http://www.autogeek.net/vilescbr.html <-- That's an excellent brush

Hope that helps!!
Thanks alot, I'll definitley give it a try and let you know the results
Old 09-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
All these methods do a great job cleaning, and renewing the looks of your leather, but wont do anything for actual cracks. The best way to prevent that is routine maintenance with leather care products or 303 for its UV protection.

Do a search in the Wash & Wax forum for more on interior care.