Lawsuit Against ACURA - TRANSMISSION FAILURE #2

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 11:53 PM
Type SSS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lawsuit Against ACURA - TRANSMISSION FAILURE #2

Everyone please read and leave comment on this topic so this Topic can continue to stay on.

PLEASE READ AND DO OWNER SURVEY

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/proble...Q/VOQ/voq1.cfm

This was on Acura-CL forum.

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...447#post703604

By jjc001

Settlement issues- Lawsuit Against ACURA - TRANSMISSION FAILURE #2

I know it has been a long time in publishing any results but this is the info that I have as of date:

I've spent the last 2 1/2 months meeting with arbitration between Acura regional management and the Lawyer. The best Acura wants to offer is money (reimbursement for the time that my vehicle was out of service i.e. car payment/days out of service =$), give me an extended warranty or put me in another one of their type 'S' products. THEN they even offered an RSX as if that would make up for the loss (time or money) I've incurred. I then pointed out that going to the RSX (because it doesn't have their FLAWED transmission) would be stepping down in their product line and it was completely unacceptable. Besides if I switch to another one of their cars I will have to pick up some of the costs for the new car WTF

I didn't sign up to BETA test their R&D process for their FLAWED transmissions in the type S series. Nor are they willing to even discuss compensation for time lost from work or the headaches that I've had to deal with because of their faulty product....
BY THE WAY my 2002 transmission (#3) is already having problems and slipping)

SO...

The first step PRIOR to going to court is the BBB (Better Business Bureau) arbitration board. This must be done so that WHEN this goes to court we (the attorney and I) can show that ACURA was in fact given a reasonable opportunity to resolve this outside of court BUT they did not CARE enough about the CONSUMER to do the RIGHT AND FAIR thing.... I will receive the judgment from the 3 Attorneys on the arbitration board THIS WEEK.....

The BBB arbitration board has the right to GRANT "equitable compensation" to the consumer based upon the facts presented in the hearing and I gave them statistics and MANY posts from this board to show that ACURA HAS a problem and it is NOT an isolated incident. ALSO they are NOT being upfront and honest with the general public with their FLAWED transmissions.

As soon as I receive the letter form the BBB this week I will scan it in and post it to this forum for ALL to see, good bad or indifferent I will continue to fight this.

ALSO READ THE FOLLOWING AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE----->
If you post your info it may not only help YOU fight Acura for compensation but it will help the rest of us as well!

If you want to do something about the tranny problem, then you must take the right steps. The first step is to make the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) aware of the problem. On their site, you can search for a vehicle's recalls, technical service bulletins and most importantly, let them know about safety problems with our vehicles.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems

Go to link and select "Vehicle Owners' Questionnaire", then complete the defect notice.

If we want to get Acura's attention, then let’s get NHTSA 40 to 50 complaints at one time about Acura transmissions failing. Also, this will help with all lawsuits.

REMEMBER........
One voice is hard to hear but hundreds of voices will get their ****ing attention......you CAN fight the system no matter how large they are....

For those of you who are new to this transmission problem read the following posts...

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/show...&threadid=56072

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/show...&threadid=55635
Old 02-26-2002, 12:24 AM
Type SSS

Can you guys post reponse if you are doing the survey.

I want to keep track and see how many people are going to do the survey with NHTSA

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:26 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I totally agree. Now would be a good time for all of those who had and are currently experiencing transmission failures to post to this board and fill out the question are.

It will also help others like myself get a better understanding what commonalities exist with these tranny failures.

I have noticed that my transmission is shifting rougher than when it was brand new. Also, when coasting down hill and pulling a CA stop (down to 5-10 mph) then accelerating I feel a BIG kick- like it was stuck in 3rd or 4th gear and didn't have enough time to "think" and anticipate the downshift to 1st or 2nd.

This tranny also wants to hold a gear for what seems like a prolonged period from time to time. I'm not sure if this is a result of the manner in which I drove the car during the break in period or a sign of failure to come.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-26-2002, 12:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

well you need to fix your links first. this is what i got:

Sorry, there is no nhtsa.dot.com web page matching your request. It is possible you typed the address incorrectly, or that the page no longer exists. You can choose one of the links on this page.

check your link, they are full of dots now
Old 02-26-2002, 12:30 AM
Type SSS

Originally posted by rominl
well you need to fix your links first. this is what i got:

Sorry, there is no nhtsa.dot.com web page matching your request. It is possible you typed the address incorrectly, or that the page no longer exists. You can choose one of the links on this page.

check your link, they are full of dots now
Here its is

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/proble...Q/VOQ/voq1.cfm
Old 02-26-2002, 12:57 AM
Advanced

ssk0771 : kudos for having the balls to fight this.

I alos hope this is achived with the tranny forum. If I was on my third tranny, I would consider doing same. I think if more went after Acura, they may just listen up and get pro-active about our trannies..
Old 02-26-2002, 03:06 AM
Type SSS

Originally posted by 01SILVERCL-S
ssk0771 : kudos for having the balls to fight this.

I alos hope this is achived with the tranny forum. If I was on my third tranny, I would consider doing same. I think if more went after Acura, they may just listen up and get pro-active about our trannies..

Just to make things clear,

ITS NOT ME FILING THE LAW SUIT.

ITS jjc001 at Acura-CL.com
Old 02-26-2002, 08:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine is now gone at 28,900. I have no mods, do not come close to taking the car to it's performance limits. My 0-60 times and 1/4 mike times are replaced by 0-90 mile times, as in the roundtrip commute that I have to do daily in the 2 hour time range.

Suddenly the tranny began to whine and shift less exactly between 2nd and 3rd. The fluid has been completely flushed at 10k and 20k and still looks spotless today with about 9k on it. If this tranny went the way that I drive it, then it is only a matter of time before those that push the envelope cook theirs.
Old 02-26-2002, 09:01 AM
On the way!

Mine failed yesterday. I filed through your link to NHTSA this morning.
Old 02-26-2002, 10:33 PM
Advocatus Diaboli

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For those of you who have a wrecked tranny: Do you only drive in automatic or do you use the triptronic as well? Something about that fake manual tranny kinda turns me off and makes me suspect that using that without really understanding it is what has led to these busted trannys. Am I way off?
Old 02-26-2002, 11:50 PM
Type SSS

Originally posted by Laurelcrest
For those of you who have a wrecked tranny: Do you only drive in automatic or do you use the triptronic as well? Something about that fake manual tranny kinda turns me off and makes me suspect that using that without really understanding it is what has led to these busted trannys. Am I way off?
My tranny failed and I used about less than 10% of the time.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:33 AM
Burning Brakes

When my first tranny went at about 8500 miles, I had rarely used the SS. When my second tranny went at about 26500 miles, I had used SS more often but still not much considering 90% of my driving is highway mileage. I now have close to 34000 and have been using SS much more often.

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- I don't think my tranny failures (nor most of the others) have been due to driving habits. Most of my driving is on the highway, cruising at about 2000 rpm -- hardly a harsh operating condition for the tranny. I get better than 30 mpg on the hwy and rarely worse than 25 in the city. Another indication that I am not abusing my tranny by gunning it at every stoplight or every chance I get.

So far, there really doesn't seem to be much of a pattern regarding the tranny failures. Some have gone as quickly as 2500 miles and others have lasted as long as 22000 miles. Some baby their cars, some don't. Some have mods, some don't. Some got their cars during early production in March or so, others as late as September (at least of those that I am aware of).
Old 02-27-2002, 05:32 PM
AC
Drifting

Damn, that's pretty f$cked up...

I remember my 00 TLP when it had like 28K miles, the SS was getting messed up. When in 1st gear, it would not shift out unless I forced it into N and back down to D. This happened on many occasions and ofcourse you take it in and "we can't duplicate the problem" thank god I got rid of that car when I did...poor soul to the one that bought it.

In essense, I'm not surprised by Acura's actions. Please understand that they're not the only manuf that would react this way. If they recalled the tranny, man that would cut so deep into their margins so I guess they're just hopin that most of you just keep quiet and just take it in as it breaks and accept the BS 45 days fixing time.

Good Luck everyone.
Old 02-28-2002, 11:00 AM
Racer

Originally posted by fla-tls
Mine failed yesterday. I filed through your link to NHTSA this morning.
FLA-TLS when and where did u buy your car?
Old 02-28-2002, 11:26 AM
On the way!

Originally posted by Outlook
FLA-TLS when and where did u buy your car?
I bought it at Buchanan Jenkins in Ocala.
Old 02-28-2002, 12:05 PM
Racer

Originally posted by fla-tls

I bought it at Buchanan Jenkins in Ocala.
OK, was it before November?
Old 02-28-2002, 12:22 PM
On the way!

Originally posted by Outlook
OK, was it before November?
Yeah - I bought it in June.
Old 03-02-2002, 12:19 PM
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I will be filling out the NHTSA survey. I am getting rid of my TL-S as soon as I get the tranny replaced.
Old 03-02-2002, 11:06 PM
Racer

I will do the survey as soon as I go get my VIN. My tranny just went yesterday on my 2 week ols 03 TLS. 1700 miles.
Old 03-03-2002, 02:42 AM
Type SSS

Originally posted by 03TLTYPES
I will do the survey as soon as I go get my VIN. My tranny just went yesterday on my 2 week ols 03 TLS. 1700 miles.
That is pretty F_cked UP:yack:
Old 03-03-2002, 03:32 AM
Pro

Power to the people...

You deserve a lot more than a free car payment while it was in the shop! I applaud you or whoever else actually took the initiative to take on Acura over this. I am quite bummed about my new 02TLS purchase that has major engine trouble with 16 miles on it. And this tranny issue has me even more scared. I swear it sounds inevitable...

How does one go about getting an attorney involved without paying more than the car is worth? Right now, I'd love to take the dealer or Acura to court for selling me a lemon, but an attorney would cost more than the loss that I would suffer in just dumping the car whenever they get it back to me in a pseudo-running condition
Old 03-03-2002, 11:15 AM
Racer

Well, I look at it this way,

I could waiste a bunch of time and money, get a lawyer, take acura to court, piss them off (no more free s**t) and either find out it's a waiste because the warranty protects them and gives them the right to try to fix the car. Or better yet get a whole new car and get compensated for lost time and work.

Or, since getting a new one doesn't mean it won't happen again, I figure I'll just cooperate and get phat RL loaners, run the miles up them instead of my TLS and keep getting free accessories and payments while they iron out the rinkles in these SS trannies.

If it gets out of hand and I go through 3-4 trannies then I'll go to court when it's worth my time because I'll have all kinds of lost time and work racked up not to mention all the grief and headaches I'll go through if the problem gets that bad.

So far, AC wood trims, spoiler kit, 1 payment paid by acura for every part of a month it takes to fix it (1mnth,3days=2 payments), 2 tanks of gas, 600 mile credit ($.15 per mile) for all the trips to the dealership.
Old 03-03-2002, 01:51 PM
Banned

Sue those bastaches.

Jesus christ how many trannies has to die before acura rectifies this problem.

I know my next car won't be a acura
Old 03-04-2002, 08:30 AM
Racer

Absolutey incredible !!
Old 03-04-2002, 05:20 PM
Intermediate

PLEASE POST SYMPTOMS

Holy Jebus guys, you are scaring me ****less.....

I just got an '02 TLS w/Navi and I love it...I now have ~800 miles on it and am starting to redline the car and work out the SS.

***What type of symptoms should I be looking for with this tranny problem?***

From the wide range of mileages that these trannys are failing at, I guess I should keep my eyes and ears opened for any sketchiness...since this can go this quickly....

When I got to the dealer to get my first oil change, should I tell them to check something now or just wait for the failure? I know I'm being pessimistic here, but to me I'm just being realistic.

Thanks,
Los
Old 03-04-2002, 09:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Damn guys, I think my tranny might be going bad too. For the past two weeks I have tried to ignore what I was feeling, but the more and more I drive, the more and more it seems like my car is holding third gear too long in either acceleration or deceleration.
Old 03-05-2002, 02:42 PM
Intermediate

Question in normal TL's too!??

Does the wide range tranny probs happen in the 2002 normal TL's as well???
Old 03-05-2002, 03:10 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Re: PLEASE POST SYMPTOMS

Originally posted by PANTHER
Holy Jebus guys, you are scaring me ****less.....

I just got an '02 TLS w/Navi and I love it...I now have ~800 miles on it and am starting to redline the car and work out the SS.

***What type of symptoms should I be looking for with this tranny problem?***

From the wide range of mileages that these trannys are failing at, I guess I should keep my eyes and ears opened for any sketchiness...since this can go this quickly....

When I got to the dealer to get my first oil change, should I tell them to check something now or just wait for the failure? I know I'm being pessimistic here, but to me I'm just being realistic.

Thanks,
Los

check out the posts within the forum on acura-cl.com

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/forum...s=&forumid=126

It's a great archive of the information that the board has compiled.
Old 03-05-2002, 10:29 PM
On the way!

I'm speechless..........
Old 03-06-2002, 03:47 AM
5th Gear

Isn't the tranny the one part still listed as "made in Japan"? So much for those who complain about lower quality because the TL-S is "made in USA".

Now what's really messed up is I fire up GT3 on my new PS2 and I see Acura listed as a USA brand at the "car dealership".

Oh well, I've given up on the TL-S as my next car now with the A4 and G35 to pick from. But I've got a friend that just bought a '03 TL-S. Guess I'll have to tell him the '03 is no different on this problem.

Maybe if this issue sticks it hard to Acura now, it'll go better for those buying the "next" TL. Good luck on it.
Old 03-08-2002, 12:24 AM
Intermediate

Thumbs down Tranny

Tranny gone - 7500 miles. What a POS........ Time to dump it.
Old 03-08-2002, 01:37 PM
Pro

Originally posted by SMac
Oh well, I've given up on the TL-S as my next car now with the A4 and G35 to pick from. But I've got a friend that just bought a '03 TL-S. Guess I'll have to tell him the '03 is no different on this problem.
They are my choices as well.

These tranny problems on this board are too frequent to ignore. Imagine how many every-day TL owners who aren't on this board are having problems too. Scary.