Koni Yellows

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 10:35 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Koni Yellows

Hi everyone, I have no idea why Koni Yellows are so special, can someone please enlighten me?

If I have the comptech springs, can I lower it more if I get the Koni Yellows? if yes, how much more? Can I keep it at the same height?

Thanks everyone, oh, and what are some less expensive alternatives? And do I need the shocks in both the front and rear?..or can I just get the rears, or something like that?
Old 02-20-2002, 10:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

koni yellows are just great all around adjustable gas shocks...adjustable meaning ride harshness...the less harsh the higher up the shock will be...not really a coilover system...anyways, its not a bad idea to upgrade for that extra sporty ride...Shyne
Old 02-20-2002, 11:37 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Shyne
koni yellows are just great all around adjustable gas shocks...adjustable meaning ride harshness...the less harsh the higher up the shock will be...not really a coilover system...anyways, its not a bad idea to upgrade for that extra sporty ride...Shyne
LOL.....they are POS. Do you actually have them?

amirsafdari

They stay the same height.
Old 02-20-2002, 11:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

i thought they do lower a bit when you adjust them...not really noticeable...they aren't that $hitty, and no i dont have them...just heard a lot of great comments about them...Maybe youre right...Shyne
Old 02-20-2002, 11:57 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Bitium

LOL.....they are POS. Do you actually have them?

amirsafdari

They stay the same height.
I thought most buy the koni yellows, why are they POS?
Old 02-21-2002, 12:31 AM
Retired MOD

Originally posted by Crzy Acura

I thought most buy the koni yellows, why are they POS?
They bounced too much at the lowest setting. One of them failed while I was parked. The car just sunk to the ground. No it was not a bad installation, they shop took them out and show me the busted shock. Third the company did not want to take them back. So in my book the are POS.
Old 02-21-2002, 12:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

I have the Koni Yellows for a 2 month or so. I really like how they imporoved my car's handling. The koni's are high adjustable as well as ride adjustable (stiffness). Granted, coilovers would be the best solution to be able to fine tune the height of the car, but the coilovers are a good alternative if you already have springs, since the shocks only have a few perches you can use to adjust the height.

I once read that preference to one brad of shocks is almost religious, since some people swear by one or the other.

As for lowering your car if you install the Koni shocks...the height should be the same if you use the specified settings from Koni (I think highest in the front and middle in the rear).

I guess the ultimate question is would I buy the shocks again...
- If I had springs - YES
- No springs and (ie stock setup) - I would go with coilovers.p

This is my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 02-21-2002, 09:17 AM
Race Director

Ok, I am dropping my car 1.5 inches in a few weeks, now my question was, how long will it take my stock shocks to go out?

i currently have 35000 miles on the car.
Old 02-21-2002, 12:36 PM
Retired MOD

Lightbulb

Originally posted by amirsafdari
Ok, I am dropping my car 1.5 inches in a few weeks, now my question was, how long will it take my stock shocks to go out?

i currently have 35000 miles on the car.
In my personal opinion the front ones will go out before the back. The front should start feeling weak at about 50k miles with aftermarket springs, but should last about 100kmiles with stock springs. With aftermarket springs I would say 70k miles. That's for the front. Add 20% more to the back. It also depends on what road surface you drive most of the time and other factors.
Old 02-21-2002, 01:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

damn bitium, you are so helpful...i was wanting to know that too...so the whole ride setup is good for 70K w/most considerable drop springs...i know you cant have pro-kit drop for 70K forreal...Shyne
Old 02-21-2002, 03:18 PM
NSX & 3.2TL

Koni Yellows seem fine. I got them on my TL and my NSX. I'd buy 'em again if they made a set for my Odyssey.
Old 02-21-2002, 07:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Bitium

They bounced too much at the lowest setting. One of them failed while I was parked. The car just sunk to the ground. No it was not a bad installation, they shop took them out and show me the busted shock. Third the company did not want to take them back. So in my book the are POS.
I thought Konis have a life time warranty? If the shocks failed due to no fault of your own, Koni should replace it. Hmm, I've been sitting on the fence, and can't decide if I want to go with Konis or Tokico in the future. But Bitium, from your experience, I may decide to go with Tokico (and being cheaper in price too).
Old 02-21-2002, 11:55 PM
Retired MOD

Talking

Originally posted by patrick

I thought Konis have a life time warranty? If the shocks failed due to no fault of your own, Koni should replace it. Hmm, I've been sitting on the fence, and can't decide if I want to go with Konis or Tokico in the future. But Bitium, from your experience, I may decide to go with Tokico (and being cheaper in price too).
Well I have to tell you that I have heard bad things about the tokicos. They work great for the first few weeks and then they get very weak. Most likely I had a defective koni, I don't understand why koni didn't want to take them back. The shop dealt with them and not me. I always hear good thing about them, but since my experience I don't trust them anymore. Are konis still one of the best out there? maybe. Would I buy them again NO.
Old 02-22-2002, 12:33 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Koni Yellows

Originally posted by amirsafdari
Hi everyone, I have no idea why Koni Yellows are so special, can someone please enlighten me?

If I have the comptech springs, can I lower it more if I get the Koni Yellows? if yes, how much more? Can I keep it at the same height?

Thanks everyone, oh, and what are some less expensive alternatives? And do I need the shocks in both the front and rear?..or can I just get the rears, or something like that?
Get the coilover, and sell you shock...

How long have you had the springs? I might be interested...
Old 02-22-2002, 01:36 PM
Racer

Koni yellows are the sh!t, get them and you will like them