just wondering

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 12:29 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question just wondering

has anyone recently gotten an automatic tranny for the 2nd gen well more like a year or so ago? i've heard that the A/T transmissions have gotten all new internals fixing the problem but still running in the same casing. is this right? because right im trying to weigh my options and figure out if i should get the new A/T tranny which will cost somewhere from $3000-$3200 installed with a 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty or if i should keep trying to work on gettin a 6 speed trans. which i dont really know exactly what that is gonna cost me, but will almost deffinitely hold up for a long time. sorry for another tranny question but i just dont wanna waste hard-earned money
Old 08-06-2009, 12:43 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just got mine rebuilt for the same price u quoted.. The guy that did mine did some upgrading. He used rebesto 3rd gear clutch packs , sonnax end plugs, transtrat TQ, haynes ATF cooler and Amsoil syntetic ATF. I need a car to get back and forth from work and i am closing on my first home so i had no time for BS. I also got 3/36 warrenty thats why i went to him i got somecheaper qoutes but only 12/12 warrenty..
If i had the time I would go manual but didnt have time to mess around.
If you have the time go manual it will not cost much more but if u are not gonna keep the car more then 3 years go auto till warrenty expires and dump it.
I am 100% dumping it when the warrenty on the trans runs out!
Old 08-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by StonedCL
I just got mine rebuilt for the same price u quoted.. The guy that did mine did some upgrading. He used rebesto 3rd gear clutch packs , sonnax end plugs, transtrat TQ, haynes ATF cooler and Amsoil syntetic ATF. I need a car to get back and forth from work and i am closing on my first home so i had no time for BS. I also got 3/36 warrenty thats why i went to him i got somecheaper qoutes but only 12/12 warrenty..
If i had the time I would go manual but didnt have time to mess around.
If you have the time go manual it will not cost much more but if u are not gonna keep the car more then 3 years go auto till warrenty expires and dump it.
I am 100% dumping it when the warrenty on the trans runs out!
yeah im 118k myself and figure im gonna be able to run the engine 200k+. Cause all the money i've actually put in it i wont get back nearly half that so im planning on runnin it til the wheels fall off. but did you get it rebuilt or a tranny with brand new internals from Acura corp.? because the guy i had talked to said that they get a whole new remanufactured tranny (old casing but brand new redesigned internals)
Old 08-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
there is not that much redesign of the internals- just better parts than stock

warranty trans made after mid 2005 have a new design case with better oil passages, but still doesnt solve the problem we have- its better but will never be fixed

other shops use the original case and buy the same updated parts as acura uses-- and as many of your original parts as possible- the gears and other hard metal parts will be your same ones- wearout parts get replaced
Certan VINs get a new ECU with the acura trans
Old 08-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
there is not that much redesign of the internals- just better parts than stock

warranty trans made after mid 2005 have a new design case with better oil passages, but still doesnt solve the problem we have- its better but will never be fixed

other shops use the original case and buy the same updated parts as acura uses-- and as many of your original parts as possible- the gears and other hard metal parts will be your same ones- wearout parts get replaced
Certan VINs get a new ECU with the acura trans
oh really?? so the auto tranny will still go bad?