Just put on H&R Sports......They're not what I thought!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 07:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just put on H&R Sports......They're not what I thought!

Put H&R Sport Springs on my 2000 TL and I want to tell you they are a huge disappointment. They are too low, and the car goes down the road bouncing, or porpoising if that's a word I can use. On top of that, I have Koni yellows on the higher height setting. They are also firmness adjustable so I tried everything - only to bottom the front suspention where I never have before. I'm surprised because the H&R's I put on my previous car, a VR6 Jetta were perfect in every way. I know many other members got them and liked them, put I'm telling you I had more comfort and control with the Koni's and the stock springs.
Old 05-01-2002, 07:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first complaint about the springs... i mite rethinkin of h and rs...
Old 05-01-2002, 08:26 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey chuck..i dont know what went wrong with your suspension set-up..i just installed H&R sports on my 2002 TLS, and I couldn't be happier..No bouncing or porpoising what so ever, just absolutely smooth and perfect ride, and I still have stock shocks..I dont know who installed your springs or your shocks, but I would double check everything.. Maybe the koni's are killing the ride. And too low?? I don't know about that, I dont even tuck tire..Maybe you got the race springs by accident. All I know is that H&R sports springs are awesome, and i am sorry your having problems, hopefully you can come up with a solution.
Old 05-02-2002, 12:16 AM
Instructor

hmm . . u got H&R sport springs and ur complaining that its too low . . HAHhA . . . i order H&R race springs and getting pulled on this weekend or the next and from lookin at picture . . . i dont think they are low enough
Old 05-02-2002, 12:32 AM
Pro

i have h&r's. I like the height their at, low enough to be noticed, but also i can get over a bump.
Old 05-02-2002, 12:46 AM
Racer

i used to think the same thing when i installed my H&R Sports... I was kinda thinking what a disappointment but then I figured I'd wait till the springs settled and so I did and now (3500 miles later) I'm more than happy with my decision... I have absolutely no problems with my ride height and I have the factory bodykit installed... give them some time to settle... you'll be glad you got them
Old 05-02-2002, 12:51 AM
Pro

when the springs settle...does it get lower?
Old 05-02-2002, 12:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
H&Rs needs some time to settle. I have Accord V6 and the ride was rough when it was new. I have Tokico blue, though. After about 600 miles, the ride is perfect. Not as smooth as stock, but by no means bouncy.

BTW, what's the color of the springs? If it's not black, it's not H&R Sport.
Old 05-02-2002, 01:20 AM
Pro

blue are the sport springs
Old 05-02-2002, 09:43 AM
Instructor

No I think the sport springs are black.
Old 05-02-2002, 09:56 AM
Drifting

I'm happy with mine, to each their own.
Old 05-02-2002, 10:55 AM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Which one did you get?? Sports series or OE Sports series?

I think OE Sports spring is gray color and give you little bit of drop unlike Sports spring gives you little bit more drop than OE sports. And those are BLACK.

Just looking at the pic, don't know for sure!!

Old 05-02-2002, 12:56 PM
Oracle Apps/Database Dude

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
He's got OE Sports
Old 05-02-2002, 01:09 PM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I put my H&R Sports (balck) on this week. There just a tad-bit low for me, but when you consider they make a couple of springs that are leven lower(2.2 and 2.6), I think I'll be okay.

But, just teh oppisite of your expierence, I was suprised how soft the springs where, in fact, in my living room I could compress them with my hands by standing over them pushing on down.

NO bouncy ride here.

Mike Smeezy
Old 05-02-2002, 01:24 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by 2001TL4KCdude
He's got OE Sports
Both you and songoku must of not been reading closely.

Nowhere in the initial post did chuckstl mention OE...plus if you use a little detective work, you'd know that NOONE will ever complain that the OEs sit too low :p

Besides...I forget if it was either H&R or Neuspeed where the stage 1 & 2 springs had the same spring rate. The only difference was the ride height.
Old 05-02-2002, 01:45 PM
Retired MOD

Re: Just put on H&R Sports......They're not what I thought!

Originally posted by chuckstl
Put H&R Sport Springs on my 2000 TL and I want to tell you they are a huge disappointment. They are too low, and the car goes down the road bouncing, or porpoising if that's a word I can use. On top of that, I have Koni yellows on the higher height setting. They are also firmness adjustable so I tried everything - only to bottom the front suspention where I never have before. I'm surprised because the H&R's I put on my previous car, a VR6 Jetta were perfect in every way. I know many other members got them and liked them, put I'm telling you I had more comfort and control with the Koni's and the stock springs.
Chuck I had koni's and H&R springs just like you, the ride was bouncy. Don't blame this on the H&R's nor the koni's like I was doing. They just don't seem to work good together. Because My H&R's without Koni's are awesome. We have the same argument but in reverse. I thought it was the koni's you think is the H&R's. When in fact is when they are both together. About the height, that was just your mistake, don't blame it on H&R's is your choice to get sport springs.
Old 05-02-2002, 01:46 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Originally posted by edgalang

Both you and songoku must of not been reading closely.
WTF? Where did that come from???

I was just to be sure whether he meant OE sports or Sports. He might have forgot to put OE on his thread or not knowing the difference between those 2. And I know OE series give you less drop amount than Sports or Racing.

Old 05-02-2002, 01:49 PM
6th Gear

I have the H & R Sport springs and am not satisfied with the frontal drop. I wish it were a half inch lower, (raked look). My question to people with aftermarket shocks and H & R sport springs combo is, does using aftermarket shocks, ie. Koni Yellow's, lower your car even more by using the adjustments on the shock to do this? Is that possible?
Old 05-02-2002, 01:51 PM
Racer

Listen guys I need some input.
I really want to get rid of the wheel well gap, but I'm having a tough time deciding which springs to get. I have a proffesional job and I'm always carting clients around in my ride. Therefore I don't want my car to look like a lowrider G-ride so I'm afraid of getting the Sports. I don't want to buy the OE's because I'm afraid they won't get rid of the gap. I've seen pics of both but it's hard to tell by the pics. Do the Sports tuck the tires or does it leave a small gap.

The look I want is like the BMW's, they have minimal wheel well gap and the car looks agressive without looking lowered. Is this what the Sports will do or do the sports make it look slammed.

Thanks,

JIM
Old 05-02-2002, 02:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by 03TLTYPES
I really want to get rid of the wheel well gap, but I'm having a tough time deciding which springs to get. I have a proffesional job and I'm always carting clients around in my ride. Therefore I don't want my car to look like a lowrider G-ride so I'm afraid of getting the Sports. I don't want to buy the OE's because I'm afraid they won't get rid of the gap. I've seen pics of both but it's hard to tell by the pics. Do the Sports tuck the tires or does it leave a small gap.

The look I want is like the BMW's, they have minimal wheel well gap and the car looks agressive without looking lowered. Is this what the Sports will do or do the sports make it look slammed.

Thanks,

JIM
The Sports fit the bill perfectly. They get rid of the gap but don't make the car look slammed.
Old 05-02-2002, 02:49 PM
Racer

Bitium-

I was going to get the H&R sports and Koni yellows. Then I read that you say you didn't like that combo.

Which combo do you have and how do you like it now? What are the differences between what you have now and the HR-Koni combo?

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2002, 03:04 PM
Pro

Eibach Pro-kits and Koni's always seem to be good.
The bounciness experienced by Chuck is due to the springs not fully settleing in. Give it a week or so or driving harder. After tehy settle, just fine tune the Koni by adjusting tehm.
Old 05-02-2002, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by 03TLTYPES

Thanks,

JIM
I think you'll like the sports, although the car is low, there is approximately 1 1/8 between the tire and fender in the front, which is approximatley 2 fingers distance on a knife edge.

That's my Opinon, and I'm sticking to it!

With that said, “Don’t shoot the messenger”

Mike Smeezy

Anthracite 2003 TL
Rear Deck Spoiler
H&R Sport Springs
35% Full Tint
3” Exhaust Tips
Old 05-02-2002, 04:32 PM

Also,

One more thing about the "bumppy" ride, when my H&R Sports, where installed, the machanic "cut" the bump-stops on my car about an inch.

Not sure if he was supposed to do that, but, I have from the start have had a smooth ride, with stock shocks.

With that said, “Don’t shoot the messenger”

Mike Smeezy

Anthracite 2003 TL
Rear Deck Spoiler
H&R Sport Springs
35% Full Tint
3” Exhaust Tips
Old 05-02-2002, 04:51 PM
Retired MOD

Originally posted by 850EX
Eibach Pro-kits and Koni's always seem to be good.
The bounciness experienced by Chuck is due to the springs not fully settleing in. Give it a week or so or driving harder. After tehy settle, just fine tune the Koni by adjusting tehm.
Well.....I'm talking more about a quick bouncing and not a shock going bad bouncing. The spring would not change the spring rate by settleing. It won't killed you to wait a week to see what happens, but I doubt it would change any.

My girlfriend's G20 had Eibach and stock shocks, man would that car bounce, they couldn't control the springs well and also the springs didn't seem to have a good F/R balance. Anyways, I bought some AGX's shocks and I was able to make it better, but not that much better. This is why I decided next time I buy shocks/springs I would get a full system like Tiens/zeals. Were you have adjustability in height and comfort.

Originally posted by ymckoon
Bitium-

I was going to get the H&R sports and Koni yellows. Then I read that you say you didn't like that combo.

Which combo do you have and how do you like it now? What are the differences between what you have now and the HR-Koni combo?

Thanks!
I just have H&R sports and stock shocks which are very good BTW, but not adjustability.

The H&R koni combo gave me a buncy ride even with the lowest setting.
Old 05-02-2002, 10:23 PM
Pro

I got the same problem
http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...light=initialD
Old 05-04-2002, 08:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys for all your replies. I have faxed H&R a letter explaining my problems and mentioned that I still want their springs, but these aren't up to the task for some reason. I don't want my money back - just send something that works! These were Sport springs, blue in color. In fact, the car was so bad that I went back to Koni's and stock springs which solved every problem except what I bought them for, which is aliitle lower ride height, which would look better. I'll let you know what they say as soon as I hear.
Old 05-05-2002, 09:03 AM
Retired MOD

Thanks guys for all your replies. I have faxed H&R a letter explaining my problems and mentioned that I still want their springs, but these aren't up to the task for some reason. I don't want my money back - just send something that works! These were Sport springs, blue in color. In fact, the car was so bad that I went back to Koni's and stock springs which solved every problem except what I bought them for, which is aliitle lower ride height, which would look better. I'll let you know what they say as soon as I hear.
Blue???? are you sure they are H&R.

To my knowledge:

Race = Red
Sport = Black
OE Sport = Silver
Old 05-05-2002, 09:36 AM
Acura TLS are SLOW

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
i have h&r sport spring(blue) and they are perfect...i couldnt be more happier but i did went with stock shocks
Old 05-05-2002, 10:52 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Chuck,
When you put on the H&R's, did you move the lower spring perch up to the top notch on the Koni's? Remember, the upper notch is for aftermarket springs and the lower notch is for stock springs to get about a 1" drop using just the Koni's.
Old 05-05-2002, 07:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Bitium - yes they are the sport springs - dark metallic blue in color to be exact

Brewboy - thanks yes I did move the perches but still no good.
Old 05-06-2002, 12:21 AM
Retired MOD

Bitium - yes they are the sport springs - dark metallic blue in color to be exact
Mines are black, most members I know with H&R sports are black, the ones in the website are black.....http://www.hrsprings.com/site/products/index.html

Old 05-06-2002, 04:24 AM
Instructor

I got H&R sports and I'm pretty sure they're dark blue.
Old 05-06-2002, 11:17 AM

Blue??

Hey guys,

As I mentioned, my H&R Sports are "black" and they are working perfectly, smooth as a baby behind.

The Blue seems to be a mystery... hmmmm

Good Luck!

Mike Smeezy

Anthracite 2003 TL
Rear Deck Spoiler
H&R Sport Springs
35% Full Tint
3” Exhaust Tips
Old 05-06-2002, 02:13 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
wow, this thread was supremely confusing. Know I don't know if I should go with an H&R Sport/Koni Yellow combination or save up for the Tein's.
Old 05-06-2002, 03:11 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by fahoumh
wow, this thread was supremely confusing. Know I don't know if I should go with an H&R Sport/Koni Yellow combination or save up for the Tein's.
If you're going to buy Koni Yellows, you might as well spend the extra $200 US and get Teins instead. Then you will be sure that you are getting a matched spring & shock.