just a high end accord?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 01:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just a high end accord?

I have a friend, with a BMW 323i, who calls my TL a high end accord! What do you guys think? I need some ammunition for a good rebuttal.

He also calls Lexus ES300 a camry and Audi A4 a passat.

Other than saying his car is overpriced, I couldn't think of much to say.

Help!
Old 07-26-2002, 01:40 PM
"v1 saved my ass ......."

Alright, your friend sounds like a stuck up b!tch but he is right about a couple things .... 1 - an A4 is a little bit of a better passat 2 - an es300 (until this production year) was nothing but a camry with gold trim and climate control. As far as your argument goes, whats his problem anyways? I mean, why is he acting like a d!ck. Dont forget to mention your TL was more expensive than his pidly 2.3L bimmer. (Dont get me wrong, I like bimmers but why the 323? .... silly to spend the money on that - get a 330, m3, m5, 540, 7 series, whatever)

AdamR
Old 07-26-2002, 01:50 PM
Drifting

Re: just a high end accord?

Originally posted by SpeedyR
I have a friend, with a BMW 323i, who calls my TL a high end accord! What do you guys think? I need some ammunition for a good rebuttal.

He also calls Lexus ES300 a camry and Audi A4 a passat.

Other than saying his car is overpriced, I couldn't think of much to say.

Help!
well tell him that his $30,000 2.3liter four-banger wanna-be 330(is it manual or automatic) can suck your shiny chrome dual exhaust!!!
Old 07-26-2002, 01:52 PM
Advanced

tell him to start talking when he at least has a 330...
Old 07-26-2002, 01:58 PM
Intermediate

Yeah, he's a real a$$hole. He's basically saying an Acura is really just a Honda, but a BMW is always a BMW.

I think he actually paid more for his car than I paid for mine. I guess he got ripped! His car has a 5 speed. I haven't driven it, so I can't say how fast it is and we don't really race anymore. Not since we both had Integras (actually, I still have mine; he traded his in for the BMW).
Old 07-26-2002, 02:05 PM
Burning Brakes

tell him to blow your twin pipes!

If you have some suspension mods, Go find a back road. I think you'll do well against him except for braking
Old 07-26-2002, 02:07 PM
NSX & 3.2TL

Re: just a high end accord?

Originally posted by SpeedyR
Dude is rolling in a bottom trim line of the bottom line model. I don't think a rebuttal is even necessary. It's attitudes like his that always reinforce what entry-level BMW guys think. If anything, we should question why you should even hang out with such a knucklehead.
Old 07-26-2002, 02:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Everyone else in a higher-end bimmer laughs at his low-end model when they pass him.

PS - Don't take it out on Bimmer; he's just an A$$.
Old 07-26-2002, 02:33 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bwahahahaha...323...Bwahahahaha!

Tell him even an accord can beat him.

BTW, just race him and put some $$$ on it.
Old 07-26-2002, 02:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Is his car stick? If not, tell him it's not a REAL BMW.
Ed :p
Old 07-26-2002, 02:37 PM
Safety Car

323 is for people that can't afford a real bimmer. I mean, c'mon, if your gonna get a BMW, at least get a 5 series. That 3 series stuff is like compact cars IMO. All you have to tell him is his 323 sounds more like a "Mazda 323".

Old 07-26-2002, 03:01 PM
Burning Brakes

those r the kinda superficial people that jus look at the name.
when i bought my car, i also thought about a bmw, but then for the same amount of money, i'd get so much more out of the TL than any bmws in that price range.
Old 07-26-2002, 03:09 PM
STi
Racer

umm
guys, the 323 was not a four-banger
and it's still a fine machine, it's still an everyday "ultimate driving machine"
AND he's right in everything he says in a way
TL shares many parts with the accord
A4 shares many parts with the Passat
ES300 shares a lot of parts with the Camry
BUT all those cars ARE better than the cars they share parts with (but i'm not saying that accord, passat or camry are bad cars, they're great as well)

but then it's like saying the m3 is a high-end 3 series, which it is, but it's lightyears better than the 320i

so tell him yes you're car is a high-end accord, but the accord is a superb car, and that you're proud to own a car that evolved from it

i have the 330Ci, i wouldn't say it's overpriced, like everything else, you get what you pay for, the higher you want to go, the more you have to pay for a smaller difference, and whether it's worth it or not is up to you
Old 07-26-2002, 03:12 PM
Racer

Tell him this:

Car & Driver has rated the Accord in its top 10 more times then any other car model made. the 2nd highest placing car is the BMW 5 series and the 3 series is not far behind.
Old 07-26-2002, 03:18 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by STi
umm
guys, the 323 was not a four-banger
and it's still a fine machine, it drives like any other bmw, meaning it's composed, stable, and feels like an extension to your body
AND he's a bit right in everything he says
TL shares many parts with the accord
A4 shares many parts with the Passat
ES300 shares a lot of parts with the Camry
BUT all those cars ARE better than the cars they share parts with (but i'm not saying that accord, passat or camry are bad cars, they're great as well)

it's like saying a m3 is a high-end 3 series, which it is, but it's lightyears better than the 320i

I think most ppl here knows that the 323 is a 6, but it's the cheapest new BMW you can get. I think if anyone is looking for a 4 cylinder BMW, they would have to get the MINI Cooper.

I agree that the TL is an upscale Accord, but it belongs in the Acura family line; which means it's better than an Accord. I looked at the Accord EX V6 before I bought the TL and I have say that it's really cheap looking inside and out compare to the TL. I oped to spend the $5000 difference for a better looking, better leather, better engine, better sound system, better wheels, HID vs. Halogen, the list goes on and on.

IMO, if anyone is to get a BMW, they shoudl get the 5 series or at least a bigger displacement motor on the 3 like the 330i.

Old 07-26-2002, 03:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by STi
i have the 330Ci, i wouldn't say it's overpriced, like everything else, you get what you pay for
Sorry to inform you, but you just paid more for a name and tariffs.
Old 07-26-2002, 04:23 PM
10th Gear

This one did it in for me because a couple of months ago I was deciding on either the 330, ES300, or TL. By far, the TL is the best value for all the amenities. For example, the TL comes with standard Xenons, foglights, sunroof, wood trim, etc.

The Bimmer 323 is a glorified Corolla!

Peace
Old 07-26-2002, 07:59 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I have a 98 Accord EXV6 and a 2002 TL. Even though these cars are similar in many ways, they are completely different in ride, power and comfort. When I drive the TL all week (my wife drives the Accord) and then I drive the Accord, its like no comparison. These are not the same cars, period.

As for your buddy tell him to F off and mind his own business. The TL is a much nicer car than the 323.
Old 07-26-2002, 08:31 PM
Banned

things to tell your freind?........ hmmmmmmm..... well

1. GO FUC.K YOURSELF

2. my 2000 cavalier Z24 has more displacement than your car, and is even a 4 banger!

3. His 323I looks like a jetta!! in fact all BMW's look the same!! you see one, you've seen em' all!! been stuck with the same BOXY JETTA design for decades

4. his car has enought interior room for people below 5" 7', in other words, vertically challenged midget F@GS like himself

5. for the amount of money he paid for his BMW( Break My Wallet), I could list several cars, that our accelerate, and out handle his car, and will plain old make him cry!!

6. Tell him a friend of mine at work has a 94 accord with well over 300,000miles on the odometer!!! He will be lucky to get 1/3rd that mileage before his NAZI mobile takes a SHI.T!

7. Last but not the least tell him that the cars to buy in the 3 series are: 330I, 330XI---> manual transmission only, and M3. All the others are what ZE GERMANS call KRAUT!
Old 07-26-2002, 08:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If he thinks TL's are glorified Accords, then tell him his entry level four banger 323 is a glorified 2.0 Jetta. Then mention that any 1.8 turbo VW product or any VR6 powered VW will walk away from him, any day.
Old 07-27-2002, 01:08 AM
STi
Racer

silver03TL
read the thread again and see how many people are calling the 323 a four banger, some even call it a 2.3L, come'on
it's almost 2.5L and it's still the same great Beemer I6

johnnyb_s
whatever you think
i've owned several cars, if you want to be ignorant, sure, do what you like, but go drive it, and you'll see that's it's actually very nice, the balance, the sweet engine, the low-power-loss powertrain, the rich interior. maybe it's expensive, but to me it's well worth it
i also own the TL, so don't think for a second that i'm bashing it

BLEXV6
what you said is exactly my point
they share parts, but they're totally different in every other way, people, read my analogy here, a m3 and a standard 3 series drive completely different, but they share a lot of parts

i understand that you guys love you TLs, i love mine too, but this is not a reason to bash other cars, that would just lower us to the bigpimping level!:yack:
Old 07-27-2002, 06:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by STi
if you want to be ignorant, sure, do what you like, but go drive it, and you'll see that's it's actually very nice, the balance, the sweet engine, the low-power-loss powertrain, the rich interior. maybe it's expensive, but to me it's well worth it
I've driven a '99 500 series and I could tell that at one point, it was a very nice car, but it didn't pass the test of time. Also, it didn't even have a CD player in it...comes stock with a tape deck...what kind of crap is that?

Speaking of ignorance, I believe you are showing yours just a tad bit with the whole, "you get what you pay for". Again, you are paying for tariffs and a name, or rather an image (thanks to our friend, Marketing). You can get that car in Germany for much less, ship it here, and still pay less than buying it from a dealer here. It all comes down to economics.

So if "you get what you pay for", then how come you get so much more from the TL for so much less than it's competition? Is something wrong with the TL that we don't know about?

I believe that the TL is a good example of why "you get what you pay for" is just a meager attempt to justify buying something that is overpriced and "showy"

On a side note, I wouldn't mind owning an M3, and if I ever do acquire one, I'm not going to justify it by saying "you get what you pay for", but rather, I wanted it and was willing to pay the price for it, whether I got my money's worth or not. I believe BMW and dealer will be getting their money's worth from me with that high profit margin.
Old 07-27-2002, 10:21 AM
Advanced

There's nothing with an Accord! In fact if someone wants an Accord but wants more style, the TL is the ticket!
Old 07-27-2002, 10:48 AM
Intermediate

Well, I drove my friends 323i, and I have to admit I liked it. It's 2.5L inline 6 cylinder and 5 speed manual is a good combination. Here's my awesome rebuttal:

"At least my TL has real leather and a CD player!"

I know, it's childish, but I had to say something! The BWM is a very nice car, but I don't regret buying the TL at all. I also got him to admit, the TL has more bang for the buck.
Old 07-27-2002, 10:54 AM
Advanced

We have both TL's and Accords. The TL is much nicer interior and the engine is definitely more powerful.

Technically though, TL's are based off the Accord body, as such shares many parts. So internally they are the same, but behind the driver's chair it's a totally different car. That goes for the ES300 and A4 as well, kudos to the interior designers.
Old 07-27-2002, 11:14 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by STi
silver03TL
read the thread again and see how many people are calling the 323 a four banger, some even call it a 2.3L,

well, not everyone is as smart as you and i.

:o
Old 07-27-2002, 01:30 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to some what agree with "You get what you paid for" part STi mentioned..... I was driving a 2002 C240 as a loaner last week for 3 days while my 400SE was in for service.... First of all, it's a C240 Classic with Sunroof and Leather added, which comes out about 2 grand more than a brand new TLS would cost here in Canada. The car has NO HID, dual climate control(semi-auto, which no digital temp display), no power seats(forward/backward is manual, but seatbacks and cushion tilt is power), manual steering wheel(which I like, it tilts and telescopes).... but after driving it for 3 days, I am convinced that it's a better buy, in a way... WHY?? My driveway is tilted upward, and whenever I am going up to my driveway at an angle, I can definitely feel/hear the frame of my TLS "flexing" itself... especially around driver/front passenger door opening......

Now, when I was driving my 10 year-old 400SE OR the C240 loaner, what do I heard?? NOTHING!!! The body-shell doesn't flex a bit.... sure you get less feature/equipment-wise, but you gain in body/chassis rigidity and probably more advance body/chassis design, too..... even my friend's abused '98 C280 has no body-flex when going up my driveway......

Also, chassis sharing is very common now aday..... Audi TT shares platform with Beetle, too... so, it's a VW TT?? Or Audi Beetle?? Mercedes S-Class(Current, W220) shares chassis with E-Class(W210), so it's not as good a car as it should be?? Hell no(well, maybe at some point, yes, it should be better, but overall, not too shabby).... it's still same S-Class with almost unmatched ride comfort(though MB made a mistake by cheapen the interior to keep the costs down)..... Sharing the same chassis doesn't mean it's any less of a car.....

Andy Kuo
Old 07-27-2002, 02:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Ask him how he likes his black rubber door and bumper moldings!:yack:
Old 07-27-2002, 02:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Re: just a high end accord?

Originally posted by peiqinglong

well tell him that his $30,000 2.3liter four-banger wanna-be 330(is it manual or automatic) can suck your shiny chrome dual exhaust!!!
actually it has an I6....
Old 07-27-2002, 02:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Shoofin'TL
Is his car stick? If not, tell him it's not a REAL BMW.
Ed :p
I've got a 330i auto......so it's not a REAL BMW?? Could have fooled me.
Old 07-27-2002, 02:57 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by accordv6

I've got a 330i auto......so it's not a REAL BMW?? Could have fooled me.

Speaking of auto/manual. I saw the new M3 convertible the other day and it has a manual transmission without a clutch, pretty cool. Just thought I share that. :o
Old 07-27-2002, 03:35 PM
Drifting

323 has a 2.5L I-6...

anyways, just tell him to f u c k off... race him or something.
Old 07-27-2002, 03:44 PM
STi
Racer

guys, read before you post! i love my TL and i agree that it's a great buy for the money
so why is it cheaper? it uses the mass-produced standard global platform and shares many accord parts, this cuts down on cost, it is FWD, and it's paint is cheaper, so is the leather and there are a few rattles and the rotors aren't the best BUT i love it, and i don't expect a perfect car for that price, i'm satisfied with it
what i'm saying is, not looking into the price, driving a full equipped BMW, Audi and whatever, IS more fun than the TL
yes they're more expensive but THE HIGHER END YOU GO, THE MORE YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR SMALLER DIFFERENCES! read before you respond please
theese cars have went trough much engineering when they were debuted, they have more advanced electronics and engineering

again, i EMPHASIZE that i LOVE the TL, but there are faults, which are to be expected
Old 07-27-2002, 03:52 PM
Burning Brakes

bah, just tell your friend to f.u.c.k. off
he's just jealous because the TL comes with so many things standard and his bimmer DOES NOT