Just got my headers and Icebox installed...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 02:52 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Just got my headers and Icebox installed...

I love both of them...

It was a nice, cool 60 degree night tonight .. driving home from a buddy's place...

Intake added nice midrange .. and headers seriously add nice top end starting at 4800 rpms ... very noticeable.

Both my friends that drove the car tonight said the car hauled ass...

Best decision I ever made regarding this car.. I recommend it strongly to anyone who was like I was .. very very hesitant to mod my car and worried about the warranty and the overall perfromance gains:

- gains are REAL, and noticeable
- warranty is maintained usually so long as your dealer is 1) cool w/ comptech, 2) cool w/ mods in general
Old 06-22-2003, 03:50 AM
Veritas vos Liberabit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
congrats, how much u pay?
Old 06-22-2003, 08:29 AM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Just got my headers and Icebox installed...

Originally posted by PeterUbers
I love both of them...

It was a nice, cool 60 degree night tonight .. driving home from a buddy's place...

Intake added nice midrange .. and headers seriously add nice top end starting at 4800 rpms ... very noticeable.

Both my friends that drove the car tonight said the car hauled ass...

Best decision I ever made regarding this car.. I recommend it strongly to anyone who was like I was .. very very hesitant to mod my car and worried about the warranty and the overall perfromance gains:

- gains are REAL, and noticeable
- warranty is maintained usually so long as your dealer is 1) cool w/ comptech, 2) cool w/ mods in general
I am still stock, and very envious right now. Congrats! By the way, fix your sig loser
Old 06-22-2003, 09:42 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome! I love the headers and can't wait to compliment them with the icebox!
Old 06-22-2003, 11:24 AM
Pro

Question about the headers for you since you just installed them. I am considering icebox and headers but I think I will just get the icebox cuz in my experience, headers will increase engine noise. I like a quiet car unless I am gunning it. With the new headers is the exhaust note louder?
Old 06-22-2003, 12:52 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by looney010
congrats, how much u pay?
Hey man, thanks!

Here's the breakdown:

Headers: used (w/ 6000 miles on them) = $680.00 shipped
Icebox: new @ 275.00 shipped from CT
Install, both items: $180.00
New header gaskets and o-rings: $60.00 shipped

Best money I've spent yet ...
Old 06-22-2003, 12:53 PM
Safety Car

Re: Re: Just got my headers and Icebox installed...

Originally posted by vandy786
I am still stock, and very envious right now. Congrats! By the way, fix your sig loser
Vandy!

Thanks for the tip .. note my NEW sig!!

I was stock for nearly two years as well, my friend, and this is like having purchased a new car! It's a great feeling -- i strongly suggest it.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:58 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Chet03TL-S
Question about the headers for you since you just installed them. I am considering icebox and headers but I think I will just get the icebox cuz in my experience, headers will increase engine noise. I like a quiet car unless I am gunning it. With the new headers is the exhaust note louder?
Hi Chet:

Listen man, i was VERY VERY against getting these mods for TWO YEARS.. b/c of the noise issues, warranty issues, and the tranny issues.

Believe me when I say this, b/c I have researched this topic (headers/intake) for over one year ... countless hours spent reading/posting on this and the CL-S forum:

there is NO, AND I MEAN NO .. increase in sound from the icebox. There is NO INCREASE in exhaust note.. the car sounds stock. Two of my friends vouched for that. At wide open throttle, and into the 4800 rpms and beyond .. there is more of a growl .. but it sounds 1) refined, 2) very japanese (non-domestic) 3) luxurious

I highly recommend the comptech's over the obx headers if you're concerned (as I was) about resonance, difficult install, etc. Purchase the headers USED like i did. Just check out the cl-s and accordv6 forums from time to time and you'll find them.

Chet, the car is STILL whisper quiet w/ the intake and headers at light to moderate throttle, and only SLIGHTLY louder inside (windows shut) when you STOMP ON IT. Trust me on this, email me if you want more info or PM me... best of luck
Old 06-22-2003, 01:00 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by ferizzo
Awesome! I love the headers and can't wait to compliment them with the icebox!
Ferrizo -- I'm "TL_Type_S" from the CL-S forum:

first of all, thank you very much for all your very informative posts on this and the CL board.. and for your answers to my obx header questions.

Since I just went w/ both headers and intake all at once, I'll never know the difference in power that only the icebox adds... all I know is that when it's below 70 degrees outside,... preferably around 60 .. the midrange is SWEET! .. a noticeable increase in TORQUE (notice I didn't say hp... )

The car pulls very hard now on the highway ..

Thanks again
Old 06-23-2003, 02:57 PM
Banned

i got comptech icebox, header and mugen exhaust and is not loud at all, sound the same during normal driving unless you hit it, i can hear the vtec kick in around 5k.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:44 PM
Racer

Sorry if this has been asked before... but do the headers fit a 2003 Type-S?

Comptech's web-site only has it up to 2002.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:23 PM
Safety Car

Twenty --

Yes, absolutely -- the headers DO fit your car and I highly recommend you get them ... try to find them used, nothing goes wrong w/ them w/ age ..
Old 06-23-2003, 04:52 PM
Racer

Yeah, reading about the noise level not reallly increasing has me REALLY interested in them.

Thanks.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:00 PM
Pro

Thanks, Peter

I am interested in getting the icebox. Headers, not so sure about yet. Especially considering the price if I got new. I like the fact that icebox is quiet like stock. Headers, i might notice more noise even if its little. Think I just get the icebox, until I really have to much money and have nothing better to do with it. I still have 4yrs of payments on my baby
Old 06-23-2003, 05:15 PM
Safety Car

Chet -- think of it this way .. after two years .. get some headers.. and it'll feel like a new car .. if you get them now, you'll get used to them in a few months
Old 06-23-2003, 06:07 PM
Moo
Pro

The exact post I've been looking for. After 2years and 22,000 miles later I'm beginning to get bored with my ride. I am strongly considering getting both headers and ice box. From the responses, it looks like a good move.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:03 PM
JD7
Rizzie's the color!

Does the ice box give you more gains that a CAI? Or sound better? Thanks
Old 06-23-2003, 07:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Headers dont increase engine noise at all.

The icebox is one of the quietest intakes out there, with the best gains to boot. Its got a nice growl over 4800k, but in 95% of driving, you wont hear a thing. I love it; its the perfect compliment to the headers.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:15 PM
Safety Car

Guys .. Hyde is right .. I can't emphasize this enough: this car is a different beast w/ the headers and intake ---

I'm not saying that it feels supercharged or anything like that .. but at wide open throttle (and at moderate throttle when it cools down at night) .. there is a noticeable to VERY noticeable difference.

My buddy has an s2000 ... on the way to the mechanic this saturday, we raced (safely) on the highway .. we both floored it in our lowest possible gear for maximal acceleration -- he slowly kept pulling away from me.

Now, w/ the headers, it just may be even, if not go the other way around ... trust me, it takes a LOT to go from losing to someone to PULLING AWAY from someone .. that takes a lot of power to move a 3500 lb car like that.

I strongly suggest this to everyone who has been toying w/ the idea hesitantly for a year or so....
Old 06-23-2003, 10:48 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 497 Likes on 230 Posts
Wow - Nice job Peter. Glad to see that it all worked out!!

:-jon
Old 06-23-2003, 11:02 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by oblio98
Wow - Nice job Peter. Glad to see that it all worked out!!

Thanks Jon ...

How's the Q? When you gunna supercharge that thing?
Old 06-23-2003, 11:09 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Q is great. Just got my first speeding ticket in 30 years! 81 in 65. $279 - a bargain!! Damn laser - I was not paying attention.

Still miss my TL-S, I always look at them on the road, and they are fine looking cars still. Best bang for the buck!!

I told you that the headers were amazing!!!! Now you need those Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. You would again be amazed.

Old 06-24-2003, 10:29 AM
Safety Car

Are there any aftermarket parts for the Q? I know that may sound silly, but I wouldn't put it past stillen or nismo to do SOMETHING to make that car faster. Just curious...

P.S. Around where I live, I NEVER see the Q (the new one) on the road .. dealers are selling those things at crazy discounts, and used ones (off leases) are so low in price .. it's an amazing car w/ awesome power that you can get for a song, used.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:22 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

How do you think I got mine? (Almost $7K off sticker - plus an amazingly high trade in on my wifes MR2)

It's crazy, as this is a LOT of car for the money - - before any discounts. I think it may have to do with the legacy of the older models. This one gets almost as much attention as my TL-S did.

"What the heck is that?"

Old 06-25-2003, 02:22 PM
Cruisin'

can someone tell me exactly what the icebox does? i have comptech headers ,exhaust & injen cai already . what will the addition of an icebox do for the performance of the car?
Old 06-25-2003, 02:36 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by DOUBLE DOWN
can someone tell me exactly what the icebox does? i have comptech headers ,exhaust & injen cai already . what will the addition of an icebox do for the performance of the car?
DD --

the icebox IS an air intake system from Comptech -- it would replace your AEM CAI .. frankly, there are probably no power differences b/w your intake and the icebox ..

I chose the icebox for two reasons -- Acura dealers are less stringent about Comptech parts (in my neck of the woods) when it comes to warranty work, and two, the plastic for the intake is supposedly better for an intake .. less heat conducted = cooler air into the engine.

Also .. a third and very important reason -- it looks and sounds completely stock ..
Old 06-26-2003, 10:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Hey Pete, bought time

Did you install the Icebox yourself? If so, were the instructions any good? Now you have me seriously thinking about an Icebox ...

Brian
Old 06-26-2003, 11:35 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by bricot
Hey Pete, bought time

Did you install the Icebox yourself? If so, were the instructions any good? Now you have me seriously thinking about an Icebox ...

Brian
Sup Bricot --

Yeah .. it's been two years in the making .. finallly took the dive .. lovin' it.

Had an Acura/Honda tuner do both installs (icebox & headers). The icebox instructions are good, but they have you taking off the bumper, etc, and some have said that you don't need to do that. Took two guys 1.5 hours to finish it. It's really nice .. it adds to the midrange very nicely until the headers kick in at 4800 rpms.. no low end loss .. and no low end gains.

go for it man!
Old 06-26-2003, 11:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Hey Pete,

Good to hear from ya.

Ya, I've had the headers for over a year, but the Icebox.... Want to do the install myself, but don't want to take the bumper off ... if it can be done without doing that....

Brian
Old 06-26-2003, 04:33 PM
Safety Car

Sup Brian --

Just got outta my car now .. the weather here in Chicago has cooled to the low 70's .. the icebox is really making itself evident now... i likey .. me likey.

You definitely can do the install w/o taking the bumper off, however, you'll need to take the left wheel off and remove the wheel well liner .. from there you should be able to maneuver the icebox "horn" (this is the part that is the reason why you needed to remove the bumper in the first place) into place .. secure it .. and the proceed w/ the install from the engine bay.

I was also worried about the bumper being removed.. but after seeing how easily it comes off and on .. I had no worries. It's designed to come off very nicely .. just gotta be cautious w/ a few of the clips ..
Old 09-11-2003, 11:06 AM
Advanced

Very Nice!

I had a RSX-s w/ CT headers, H&R springs, Injen SRI, Thermal - full cat-back.

Now I looking to do the same to my TL-s.

Probably a dumb Q.....

I don't know about which would win, the TL-s or RSX-s w/ the same mods (headers & intake & cat-back).

What do you all think?
Old 09-11-2003, 11:53 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
This is a pretty old thread, but to directly answer your question, the TL-S "should" win every time. That being said, you need enough road because the RSX-S with those mods and a good driver will likely beat the TL-S on the launch only to get reeled back in...
Old 09-11-2003, 05:41 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Peter,

I just moved to Chicago and was looking for a place to install some mods. I have headers and was looking to install an icebox.

What is the name and phone number of the place that installed your mods?

Thanks
Old 09-11-2003, 11:34 PM
Safety Car

Hey man,

Garage Kwai
http://www.garagekwai.us/

Tell Benson you know the guy w/ the white TL-S, and John w/ the Black CL-S, and we recommend you.

It'll be $185 for both the intake and headers installed, benson does an awesome job.

Best of luck, and PM me if you have any other q's!
Old 09-12-2003, 04:28 AM
Parting out 02 Type S :(

peter, congrats on the mods.
i have the same engine mods, but i am adding a ur crank pulley soon and hopefully a turbo in a few months. yes i said turbo, and no i am not joking. anyways, the two mods are very good together. the icebox makes a difference, one that i felt since it was installed after headers. but they seem to sound like s/c whine at highway cruising speeds. it is very low pitched but if you listen for it, its there. this happened after the icey was put in. you get the same thing?
Old 09-12-2003, 11:47 AM
Safety Car

Hey power ..

Thanks! i don't know that I get the s/c whine w/ the icebox and headers... are you talking about wide open throttle on the highway, or just cruising?

Hey, do me a big favor and PM me once you've gotten the UR crank pulley put in, b/c that is my next mod in a couple months .. and I want your personal opinion as to what you think the gains were .. also, there is supposedly an increase in vibration once you get the crank pulley in .. lemme know how that is too, I would really appreciate it.

How much is the UR crank pulley gunna cost to install?

Pete
Old 09-12-2003, 01:57 PM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
I've got 7k miles on my pulley and there is no vibration at all...
Old 09-12-2003, 02:30 PM
Cape Breton Type-S

ya that is all great to hear....it makes me that much more anxious to get mine sooner than later....
Old 09-12-2003, 07:42 PM
Banned

how much is an iceboxx
Old 09-13-2003, 03:14 AM
Safety Car

Icebox = $275.00 @ www.comptechusa.com

shipping adds a few more dollars

Quick Reply: Just got my headers and Icebox installed...