Just got a '00 TL

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 12:25 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got a '00 TL

A newbie here....I lucked out boys, mommy just gave a '00 TL, only 42,000 miles when she bought it. I am diggin' the ride guys, not quite fast as my '01 R6 race bike, but it's tight. I use to drive a 95 toyota pickup, imagine the change in vehicals.

If any of you have any tips on maintenance, I'll take them. Thanks!
Old 09-21-2004, 06:36 AM
NorCal you Beezy!

check your battery...

have same car and my battery just went out
Old 09-21-2004, 07:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Things to check before the factory warranty, 4 years (from the time the car entered service) or 50,000 miles, expires (if it hasn't already):

Mirror dimming function (does it dim at night when headlights shine on the mirror?)
Seat rails (basically, make sure the front seats doesn't rock)
Interior door panels - all doors (make sure the handle part is not pulling away from the plastic plates where the window switches are housed – if you have this problem, it’ll be easy to spot)
Leather (if there are any cracks, the dealer might fix them for you)
Brakes (do they vibrate when you stop the car?)
Parking Brake (the first cold snap is a time when a switch in the master cylinder cap tends to fail, and will cause the brake light to remain on even after the parking brake has been disengaged)
Battery (as mentioned above, mine died last year, so keep an eye on it - winter is the season for dead batteries)
Defroster (once the car is out of warranty - even if you buy an extended one - all glass and things glass related are not covered, so make sure everything that touches glass works)
Fan (Run the fan up and down a few times, and switch the output options – ie, main vents, floor vents, defogging vents. Mine started to make a "clicking" sound as if something was touching the revolving blades, and it's doing it again)
Transmission (there's a recall, so you may want to have it checked)

....that's all I can think of off the top of my head. None of the stuff above is a major issue (well, the trans could be), more like potential headaches if you don't catch them before the factory warranty expires.

And, welcome to the forum and enjoy the car.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:41 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
just maintain the car and treat it well. It will treat you well.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:15 PM
Advanced

Thanks guys, I am a bike guy, don't know much about cars. I totally appreciate your advices and will check all that. I've alreay notice some minor problems, leather cracking.

Thanks again, and if there any easy and cool enhance modes you guys recommend, let me know. Thanks
Old 09-21-2004, 03:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RiceRocket
Thanks guys, I am a bike guy, don't know much about cars. I totally appreciate your advices and will check all that. I've alreay notice some minor problems, leather cracking.

Thanks again, and if there any easy and cool enhance modes you guys recommend, let me know. Thanks

Since you have a 00, of all the mods you could possibly put on your car, this one may be the one you appreciate the most. It costs about $5-10 and is available from your local Acura dealer parts department (part# 77237-S0K-A02). It's a cup holder that replaces the one in your car. As you will probably find out (if you haven't already), the one that came if the 00 (and 99's) doesn't hold cups all that well and your leather/carpet/center console wont appreciate a slurpie quite as much as you. Basically, all you do is lift your old one out, and put the new one in (less some tabs that you trim off). It takes about 5 minutes and will save all sorts of potential aggravation over the life of the car.