JDM Engine & Tranny Swap: Having weird issues with tranny!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 07:14 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question JDM Engine & Tranny Swap: Having weird issues with tranny!

OK so I finally got everything installed from my swap and on the bright side the Engine seems really strong.

OK so onto the transmission issues:

So after starting the car and letting it idle for an hour or so and making sure everything was ok with the engine I decided to test drive it.

First initial thing I noticed was a hard shift into reverse and when I drove it, 1st and 2nd gear shifted fine but when I got to 3rd there was no shift just straight high RPM's.

I manually shifted 1st and 2nd and got up to speed and then bump

So this is what I got for error codes:

1. O2 (Forgot to plug in downsteam sensor - Fixed)
2. O2 (Forgot to plug in downsteam sensor - Fixed)
3. Reverse Switch Circuit Range / Performance
4. Transmission Range Switch ATP RVS Switch

ErickUa5 said it was probably the range sensor so I swapped that out and even though the code cleared and stayed gone I'm having the same issues.

So this is what I've changed, tested, or replaced new on this transmission:

Shift Solenoid A - Tested and good
Shift Solenoid C - Tested and good
A/T Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid C - New
3rd Clutch Pressure Switch - Swapped from old Tranny
4th Clutch Pressure Switch - New
Transmission Range Switch - Swapped from old Tranny

So there's only a few things left.

Could the A/T Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid A & B cause the tranny not to shift into 3rd gear?

Also here's another problem:

No matter what I do to the shift cable (adjustment wise) I cannot get the gears to read properly on the instrument cluster and on my sport shift mode
none of the lights come on telling you what gear you are in.

The only letters I have been able to get to work are P, R, D4, D3, D2, D1

I cannot get N, D5 or Sport Mode to work properly.

The only way to get the light to come on it by nudging and holding the shifter just slightly up.

It seems like there is pressure on the cable from the tranny and once you get it set for the lights to come on and you release the shifter then it pushes it down from where it is supposed to be.

For instance D5 should be dead center in that section so you get move the shifter to the left for sport mode but if the adjustment is set to where you see display numbers then the shifter is not line where it should be.

Hope that makes sense.

So I've already contacted the seller and told him I'm having issues and he said to change out all the solenoids and sensors and we will go from there.

One last note, when I first got the tranny and was preparing things and drained the fluid it looked like chocolate milk.

So I am open for suggestions or advice because this whole thing has just turned into a nightmare for me, I just can't catch a break and get the car back on the road.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:26 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts
You need to check line pressure and then if thats ok check all pressures for each gear. That will tell you in 5 minutes if your trans is shot and needs a rebuild
Old 01-12-2016, 09:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by musiclevelz5
You need to check line pressure and then if thats ok check all pressures for each gear. That will tell you in 5 minutes if your trans is shot and needs a rebuild
Ya, I guess I'll get a tester tomorrow and check it. The tranny is warrantied so I can get a replacement, it just sucks having to do all this extra work!
Old 01-12-2016, 10:01 PM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
"For instance D5 should be dead center in that section so you get move the shifter to the left for sport mode but if the adjustment is set to where you see display numbers then the shifter is not line where it should be."

It seems like the cable is out of adjustment. Readjust it at the center console.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 01acls
"For instance D5 should be dead center in that section so you get move the shifter to the left for sport mode but if the adjustment is set to where you see display numbers then the shifter is not line where it should be."

It seems like the cable is out of adjustment. Readjust it at the center console.

I have this procedure (and tried it for several hours), I have the entire service manual and it still would not work right. Has me stumped!

I think I got a bad tranny with this engine, the fluid looked really bad and lots of metal shavings on the drain plug, not just a few but a lot.

Going to do the line pressure test tomorrow and see what's up and then call the seller if I get bad results and tell him to send me another tranny.

I'm just having the worst luck......
Old 01-12-2016, 10:53 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts
You need to also get this adapter before you can test line pressure. This fitting must be used as its the only fitting that works in our transmissions. A standard pressure gauge kit will not include this adapter.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AQONAJI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AQONAJI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
Old 01-12-2016, 11:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by musiclevelz5
You need to also get this adapter before you can test line pressure. This fitting must be used as its the only fitting that works in our transmissions. A standard pressure gauge kit will not include this adapter.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage
Thanks a lot, I just ordered one along with a pressure tester.

Looks like I'll have to wait until Thursday to test, but thanks again!
Old 01-14-2016, 03:12 PM
Instructor

OK, so I did line pressure test and it was 125 PSI

Then I tested the 3rd gear line because that's the one I'm having issues with and at first I couldn't get anything but I played around with getting the proper RPM's in 2nd and then bumping to 3rd and I finally got a pressure of 132 PSI

However when you drive the car it will not even try to shift into 3rd, once it goes out of 2nd gear the RPM's go straight up.

Does the A/T Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid A & B affect the 3rd gear shifting.

That's about the only thing I have not transfered over from my old tranny.

Bad Torque Converter???
Old 01-14-2016, 04:23 PM
Instructor

Getting P1706 Code again.

1. A/T Gear No Position
2. A/T Range Switch
3. Transmission Range Switch Circuit Open

I already swapped the Range Switch from the prior transmission because I got this code initially and now I'm still having this issue?

I drove it some more today, still will not shift into 3rd at all and slips in 4th also and when it shifts to 5th is does so hard.

Also when I changed the Speed Sensors there was metal shavings on both magnetic ends of the sensor.

I'm going to call the seller tomorrow and tell him to send me a new tranny unless he wants to pay to have it looked at further.

I don't know what else to do at this point, I'm not a Transmission expert but I've done a lot of things before giving up.

If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2016, 04:43 PM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
Your shifter being inbetween gears like that is really bad for the trans and it's not going to work right. You need to correct that first before going further.

Double check cable adjustment at both ends, check the cable itself for damage.

Compare your trans with the new and look for damage or bent part where the cable attaches at trans.

If you can't center the cable with the shifter get another trans and/or cable.

Check solenoid filters at... Pressure A/B, C & Torque Converter Solenoid.

Pressure A/B Solenoid has a hand in shifting all gears.

Static testing Solenoids is not conclusive of their operationing status bc there is no load on the solenoid. Also the orifice can be clogged up and still activate.

Shifting in to 3rd gear is the jobs of the 3rd Gear Switch Solenoid, Shift C Solenoid, and Pressure A/B Solenoids.

Last edited by 01acls; 01-14-2016 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 01acls
Your shifter being inbetween gears like that is really bad for the trans and it's not going to work right. You need to correct that first before going further.

Double check cable adjustment at both ends, check the cable itself for damage.

Compare your trans with the new and look for damage or bent part where the cable attaches at trans.

If you can't center the cable with the shifter get another trans and/or cable.

Check solenoid filters at... Pressure A/B, C & Torque Converter Solenoid.

Pressure A/B Solenoid has a hand in shifting all gears.

Static testing Solenoids is not conclusive of their operationing status bc there is no load on the solenoid. Also the orifice can be clogged up and still activate.

Shifting in to 3rd gear is the jobs of the 3rd Gear Switch Solenoid, Shift C Solenoid, and Pressure A/B Solenoids.
I checked the cable and there's no damage to it and it was fine with the original Transmission.

All I know is this Engine / Trans was supposed to be tested and good to go according to the listing on EBay.

I should not have to do all this crap to try and make this work, I'm so frustrated right now.

I've spent over a week working on this POS now!!!!
Old 01-15-2016, 01:18 PM
Instructor

I took a deep breath!

OK, so I just quit working on it for a while and took a deep breath.

So today I went and played around with the range sensor again, I kept doing it like the procedure said but for some reason when I went to bolt it back on the position of the sensor kept moving.

So I thought what the hell let me put the one that came with it back on it and try that one again.

I did the replacement procedure again and now everything works right as far as the shifting goes. Everything lights up correctly even the tiptronic shifting.

It still won't shift into 3rd but I have all new solenoids coming tomorrow so I'm replacing everything with new ones and keeping my fingers crossed that is what's causing the shifting issues with 3rd gear.

I really want this thing to work and not to have to pull it back out, so I guess we will see what happens when I get the new parts in.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:43 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 254 Likes on 220 Posts
With the troubles you're facing with this transmission I think its best to exchange it for another one with nice red fluid and no oil jet on the fill bolt.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ErickUa5
With the troubles you're facing with this transmission I think its best to exchange it for another one with nice red fluid and no oil jet on the fill bolt.
Ya I've thought the same thing already, I'll try this last thing and if no go then the seller cannot say anything about sending me a new one.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:18 PM
Instructor

I tried everything, time for an exchange!

Well I put all new sensors and solenoids and nothing changed on this tranny, still no 3rd gear and 4th is really sketchy as well.

Going to call the seller on Monday and get another one, I'm going to ask him if maybe he can get me an AV6 we'll see what happens.

Really sucks all this work for nothing!