JD Powers

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 01:57 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JD Powers

JD Powers gives the AcuraTL the highest rating for mechanical quality and long term reliability. Hardly the rating you'd expect for a car daunted by massive transmission problems.

Consumer Reports, Carpoint and countless others have reached the same conclusion.

But for some reason - but for some reason this some of the people on this board find their experiences or "sample" data supersedes the emperical data of these repected establishments.

I'm hoping people will begin to ignore all these tranny posts so we can do away with them. There is no mysterious tranny problem. The is just a beast that perpetuates itself.

Take the G35 - one post of the tranny problems - and I've seen at least a half dozen other discussing the "tranny" problem in the new G35 - and now people are afraid to buy them?!?!? That's off once incident!!!

Come on people we can do better then that.
Old 04-16-2002, 06:41 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Brian...I felt the same way when I bought me TL-S last year...then it happened to me...that changes your mind REAL fast!
Old 04-16-2002, 07:05 AM
Banned

I've been seeing alot of the g35's on the road and I turn my head everytime I see one.....pretty sharp, but looks small.
Old 04-16-2002, 08:28 AM
Racer

How can we consider their test of one car "empirical data"??? you can't!!!

I don't have the tranny issue, but based on a population sampling (our test group around the nation) I believe we have found a larger percentage of tranny issues than is claimed by the manufacturer.

As a technical individual, I would tend to place my trust in the population sampling, rather than the tests from magazines.
Old 04-16-2002, 09:22 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
maybe its cuz we drive our cars harder

that being said, I think I saw the first case of slippage from 4th gear to 3rd gear yesterday. and I was the only person in the car. It kept on abnormally wanting to go to 3rd gear at a higher speed than usual. On top of that, it idled roughly again. No check engine lights or anything tho. Parked for the day, and on the trip home and back to work today, it was normal again. Dr. Jerkyll & Mr Hyde. Wierd
Old 04-16-2002, 09:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally posted by miwa
Dr. Jerkyll & Mr Hyde. Wierd
You rang????

I for one am more inclined to trust someone like JD and Conumer Reports simpley because their sample size is so large. Instead of 140, they may have 140000. Concentrated populations of people with a problem or without a problem wont mess up the overall averages as much.
Old 04-16-2002, 09:52 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looks like a man passed statistics however, I find a consumer report's rating of "really good" electronics such as a more specialized digicam, vcr, or stereo equipment to be inaccurate because well, most people who reply to it are normal people. I suspect that most people who are serious about their equipment dont take the time out to reply to consumer reports so their data is missing an important, and perhaps most critical, set of the population. This gives their 'skewed' data toward the 'general' population. Then again, I guess this is what a good statistian will want based on the bell curve. We're on the fringes
Old 04-16-2002, 10:31 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Hyde, I received my JD Power and Associates survey within 3 mos of the purchase of my TL...and I was very happy with my purchase at the time, so that's what I indicated. If you remember JD's quote...it is 'Consumer satisfaction in initial quality'...meaning at time of purchase and delivery.

I am not sure where Consumer Reports gets its data. It seems like years ago I did get a survey from them when I had a subscription, and I had a 3 year old Camry. But, then, it is too early for stats on the '02 TL-S...and my own dealer service department admitted that they were seeing the '02 TL-S failures and the '99 TL-P failures, so if it shows up on Consumer Reports, it will be on the older TL-P first.

Time will tell. I think all people need to be heard. There has to be a reason why just some of us had failures. Also, check out the CL board. Their failure numbers are even higher.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:22 AM
PAW
Instructor

Consumer Reports Data

Consumer Reports gets is data from an annual subscriber survey. I've been a subscriber for years and usually fill out mine. I don't have the actual survey hand. I mailed mine in. It ask about 10 - 12 areas of the car. The transmission is one of them. I believe it ask in the last year if there have been problems in that area that have broken and been repaired, broken and not repaired. There may be a little more detail asked. Miwa is correct. The survey skews toward the general population. Most people just buy the car and drive it normally. The folks here are a little harder on cars.