Intermittant Side Airbag Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 08:03 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Intermittant Side Airbag Light

I have a 2002 TLS with ~30K miles. A few thousand miles ago the side airbag dash lamp intermittantly lights (and No, there is nothing sitting in the passenger seat). The light comes on for a while then goes out, sometimes it will stay on for a long period of time then go out. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm on the highway or driving in the city.

Had the car into the dealer recently for the 30K service (BTW, $199 here in Pittsburgh) and complained about the intermittant light. They claim the computer is supposed to retain the diagnostic code, but said they couldn't detect any code on my car(and I must be mistaken). Hey, does the dealer think I'm lying or something?

Anyone else out there have this problem, and more importantly how did you get it fixed? Is there a way to disable the side airbags and shut off the dash light?
Note: Dealer says the sensor is in the passenger seat.

HELP!!!
Old 06-03-2003, 11:10 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is a very common "feature." Next time it happens and there isn't anyone actively leaning on the door, check out the intensity of the sun. There is apparently a sensor that detects the location of the passenger so that the side airbag doesn't deploy if they are leaning on the door. Many times the sun will play tricks on the sensor.

While I don't know this for sure, it always seems to happen to me when the sun is shining on the inside of the passenger door (or the dog is leaning on the door sticking his head out of the window, LOL).