Interesting morning!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 08:08 AM
On the way!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting morning!

I got in the car and started driving to work. While still in the neighborhood, the VSA light, the exclaimation mark, and the check engine light came on. I figured, "Oh well, bring on tranny #4..."

I restarted the car and finished driving to work. Once I got here, I scanned the vehicle with our MODIS, and found that the code was actually a TPS low signal code. I need a new TPS - OK.

I called the dealer (Courtesy Acura) and requested pricing on a new TPS. Well, you can't just change the TPS - you have to change the whole throttle body on this car. Their quoted price was in the mid-$500 range retail. With my shop "discount", the price was still in the high $400 range - and they'd have to order it.

I went to acuraautomotiveparts.org and found the same brand new in-the-box valve body for $295.27 - with free shipping.

Here's the bottom line: There is NO reason to EVER buy parts from a dealership AT ALL. They are not competitive in any way, shape, or form. I will not buy parts from any dealer for my business or personal use again - as long as I have a good online store that's competitive and can wait on the part. The only possible benefit I could have gotten is that it would have been a sales tax exempt sale. The difference in the price MORE than made up for the sales tax (and by the way - there was no sales tax on the online purchase either).

They should pretty much close the parts department at the dealership. It's as worthless as tits on a fish.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:27 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fla-tls
I got in the car and started driving to work. While still in the neighborhood, the VSA light, the exclaimation mark, and the check engine light came on. I figured, "Oh well, bring on tranny #4..."

I restarted the car and finished driving to work. Once I got here, I scanned the vehicle with our MODIS, and found that the code was actually a TPS low signal code. I need a new TPS - OK.

I called the dealer (Courtesy Acura) and requested pricing on a new TPS. Well, you can't just change the TPS - you have to change the whole throttle body on this car. Their quoted price was in the mid-$500 range retail. With my shop "discount", the price was still in the high $400 range - and they'd have to order it.

I went to acuraautomotiveparts.org and found the same brand new in-the-box valve body for $295.27 - with free shipping.

Here's the bottom line: There is NO reason to EVER buy parts from a dealership AT ALL. They are not competitive in any way, shape, or form. I will not buy parts from any dealer for my business or personal use again - as long as I have a good online store that's competitive and can wait on the part. The only possible benefit I could have gotten is that it would have been a sales tax exempt sale. The difference in the price MORE than made up for the sales tax (and by the way - there was no sales tax on the online purchase either).

They should pretty much close the parts department at the dealership. It's as worthless as tits on a fish.
Great website and definitely great prices

I love parts websites that show schematics, really gives you a good idea of what you're looking at.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:48 AM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
That is great you share us the information.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
ive bought most all my parts from them. very very fast also. usually i had (and some of my stuff is weird never replaced stuff) in 3 days from order