interesting issue...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
interesting issue...

So on this past Wednesday night, my battery died and my car wouldn't start for the life of me. Had to call the police and they jump started my car and it was good to drive home. Next morning on Thursday I had the battery tested and it was shot and was replaced under warranty. Put the battery in and started it up. The minute I started it up my TCS Light, Maintenance Required Light, and Check Engine light immediately lit up. I let the car warm up and turned it off, then turned it back on, and only the check engine light were lit. I went to my local Advance Auto Parts and had the codes read. They turned out to be Misfire Cylinder 4, Misfire Cylinder 6, and Random Misfire Detected. Sorry I forgot to write down the actual code numbers but these were the explanations for them. So then i decided to clear the codes from the ECU and let the car sit for a couple a minutes, and turned it on. No codes, been driving all day Thursday and Friday. Any particular reason these codes would pop up? Could it be because of the battery replacement? Any help would be appreciated. Car runs immaculate and nothing wrong with it and no lights so far. Just wondering what could cause it. Maybe some of the TL gurus can chime in, ha ha, thanks.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:51 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
how about your MPG's are they up to par? Also is your car still running good? Did you experience any loss of power, acceleration? If not a misfire sounds like an important problem to look in to. I had power loss in my malibu I replaced the plugs and wires and it was fixed perhaps you can start their , even if you dont have power loss. Im not a complete guru but just some helpful insight. How bout the timing belt....guys????
Old 12-19-2009, 10:01 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
the PCM (since the ECU and the TCM are combined) were proably getting a little AC voltage from the alternater (the defective battery could not dampen the AC voltage any more)

so you will proably not get the codes again, if you do happen to get them again, they need to taken care of, but in the mean time don't worry about it

Last edited by friesm2000; 12-19-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Most likely as said above- low voltage and the sensors screw with the computer and trigger warning lights- those lights can mean 100 different things

Brand new batteries are not 100% charged- maybe 70 at best
You need to drive 45-60 minutes on freeway without using extra load such as lights, heater fan on high etc- you want as much of the alternator output charging the battery- not replacing what you are using and not giving as much into battery storage

The car runs on the battery- everything draws from its storage capacity- then sensors detect any loss and regulate power from the alternator into battery to bring it back to full charge

Drive it and all will be well-
might be time for new battery cables for a lot of us gen2- these parts are getting to be 8-10 years old and are very important- wire resistance lowers voltage and can even lower mileage!
Old 12-20-2009, 08:15 PM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Better to fully charge the new battery before use.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Intermediate

Police will come give you a boost?
Old 12-20-2009, 09:07 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by bkallday
i have gotten a boost from the fire dept before, cause my flashers killed my battery (i accidently rear ended somebody (only damage was a bent fromt plate for me and a couple bolt indents in the other guys bumper), but i had to have my own jumper cables though
Old 12-20-2009, 09:27 PM
Intermediate

I've said it before and I will say it again..."Must be nice". Police are known for giving bogus tickets, 41 shots, plungers, and shooting there own. The fire department is just for fires. I wish they were as neighborly here.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:28 PM
Intermediate

Not all. Just where I'm at.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:37 PM
B A N N E D

I've said it before and I will say it again..."Must be nice". Police are known for giving bogus tickets, 41 shots, plungers, and shooting there own. The fire department is just for fires. I wish they were as neighborly here.
it was cause the fire dept came to make sure no one was injured, which no one was, so they just happen to be there when i needed a jump

and most are pigs, there are very few that are actually nice and are trying to serve the community, i would say at least 95% of them are pigs
Old 12-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by friesm2000
....and most are pigs, there are very few that are actually nice and are trying to serve the community, i would say at least 95% of them are pigs
I sure hope not... that's a pretty grim statistic. As far as calling them for a jump, never heard of that- I'm surprised they would even consider that. Would take up too much time.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:38 AM
Team Owner

you cant FULLY charge a car battery with a small portable charger- those have limited output- like 7 amps compared to your alternators 50 plus amps on demand

You should charge a dead battery with a charger first- then install in car and drive,
Dont jump start a dead battery if possible!!!- its hard on it and the alternator trying to work much harder than it should to recharge from dead-
alt is supposed to top off constantly- not do massive recharge

Brand new batteries have enough in them to get car started, just need a good top off after sitting on the shelf- slight voltage drain is normal on car battery left sitting- thats why low amp `battery maintainers` are used on bikes and boats etc- keeps it full and ready for use
It takes massive quantity of electricity to run the TL- electronic everything for engine controls-trans-HID lighting- big stereo.... so after jumpstart dont use anything you dont have to-

OP Is it running good and retest good amps and volts?
Old 12-21-2009, 11:50 AM
Team Owner

I know a lot of cops from the car racetrack, where a number of them are race drivers and also volunteer as driver coaches/instructors for track days-

One of the best feelings I know of is having a cop wave you by them at 100mph on the straight, seeeeyaaaaaaaaa(zoom)

about attitude
When they are at work- their very life is in danger every moment- if you are polite and have all your legal documentation- MOST are cool back- maybe 10% are dicks.
Yes they may have to write you up, but the more professional and respectful of their job you are, the more slack they can cut you.

And hope they have a camera crew from Speeders and want to look cool by cutting you a break~

How would you like it if every customer or coworker for office workers- might pull a gun on you? Would you be a little edgy??

The Golden Rule applies: Treat them as you want to be treated

as for jump starts from cops- must be a small town and nice people
I have been push started with a MT truck that stalled and blocked a turn lane- officer was happy to get me out of there, but battery jump start puts their car at risk if not done right-(unless equiped with special plug in for cables on front of cop car- like tow trucks have)

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 12-21-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:23 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
you cant FULLY charge a car battery with a small portable charger- those have limited output- like 7 amps compared to your alternators 50 plus amps on demand.....
I would have to respectfully disagree with this. It obviously will take longer but a small charger should fully charge it. If a motorcycle battery, lawn mower, etc. a small charger (2 amp or less) is best to use, floating type all the better.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:11 PM
Roll Tide!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah they will. I was a cop in Montgomery, AL for 4 yrs and I got the occasional jump off call. And it is a risk to the car. We are "supposed" to pop the hood and disconnect all important fuses before jumping off anyone. But after you do this a repeated amount of times, it gets old and you just tend to disregard the rules. And not all cops are dicks, some have bad days! We're human just like everyone else! But yeah, if you give respect, you'll surely get it!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 07:16 PM
B A N N E D

You should charge a dead battery with a charger first- then install in car and drive,
Dont jump start a dead battery if possible!!!- its hard on it and the alternator trying to work much harder than it should to recharge from dead-
alt is supposed to top off constantly- not do massive recharge

Brand new batteries have enough in them to get car started, just need a good top off after sitting on the shelf- slight voltage drain is normal on car battery left sitting- thats why low amp `battery maintainers` are used on bikes and boats etc- keeps it full and ready for use
It takes massive quantity of electricity to run the TL- electronic everything for engine controls-trans-HID lighting- big stereo.... so after jumpstart dont use anything you dont have to-

OP Is it running good and retest good amps and volts?
a completely dead battery can actually take out the alternater , due to it full fielding (full output), cause normally an alternater should be full field for a couple of minutes at max, or else it basically overheats

batteries sitting on shelfs due get a little low in voltage (but still more then enough to start a car) but have never had an issue just puuting one straight into a car (we use interstate batteries, and they change them out periodically (sp?) if they are not sold

and battery mainteners are good on any batteries that due sit for an period of time (especially over winter, like summer only cars :shakehead, should be driven all year)

I know a lot of cops from the car racetrack, where a number of them are race drivers and also volunteer as driver coaches/instructors for track days-

One of the best feelings I know of is having a cop wave you by them at 100mph on the straight, seeeeyaaaaaaaaa(zoom)

about attitude
When they are at work- their very life is in danger every moment- if you are polite and have all your legal documentation- MOST are cool back- maybe 10% are dicks.
Yes they may have to write you up, but the more professional and respectful of their job you are, the more slack they can cut you.

And hope they have a camera crew from Speeders and want to look cool by cutting you a break~

How would you like it if every customer or coworker for office workers- might pull a gun on you? Would you be a little edgy??

The Golden Rule applies: Treat them as you want to be treated

as for jump starts from cops- must be a small town and nice people
I have been push started with a MT truck that stalled and blocked a turn lane- officer was happy to get me out of there, but battery jump start puts their car at risk if not done right-(unless equiped with special plug in for cables on front of cop car- like tow trucks have)
i do try and treat them right, but most of them are still A**holes, i understand the gun part, but i don't even own a gun

Originally Posted by totaledTL
I would have to respectfully disagree with this. It obviously will take longer but a small charger should fully charge it. If a motorcycle battery, lawn mower, etc. a small charger (2 amp or less) is best to use, floating type all the better.
x2 just might take a day or two to fully charge (depending on size of battery, and state of charge), but yes geneally considered the best the slower you can charge the battery
Old 12-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Instructor

the car runs fine after changing out the battery and clearing the codes. no loss of power or acceleration, everything seems to be running fine.

as far the jumps from the PD, i happen to work for a PD so they helped out a fellow co-worker. they had there PD EMS truck come to jump me, and they had the special plug infront of the truck. but yea. and not all cops are d-bags lol, atleast not the ones i know and hang out with.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Team Owner

those little chargers have a limited max output and its not the 650 amps a battery can hold
At least my chargers shut off at a certain point-maybe 8-12 hours, claiming battery 100% but I dont believe it
Ive never had to charge a battery to install as new- just saying to get it at max full it will take a short drive to get topped off to the cars spec
Old 12-21-2009, 09:21 PM
B A N N E D

those little chargers have a limited max output and its not the 650 amps a battery can hold
At least my chargers shut off at a certain point-maybe 8-12 hours, claiming battery 100% but I dont believe it
Ive never had to charge a battery to install as new- just saying to get it at max full it will take a short drive to get topped off to the cars spec
but it is charging it over hours, if not days; so it slowly charges it up to max capactity vs. a more blunt charge with higher amparage (think slow and precise vs blunt and fast)(btw: what battery charger are you using that puts out 650 amps, cause i want one)

and btw: max charge is only 12.6 to ~12.8, not the 13.6 that you see right after charging it, that is a floating charge/surface charge
Old 12-21-2009, 09:27 PM
Drifting

A battery's capacity will increase as it's charged- it's a cumulative process, whether it's a .5 amp charger or a 10 amp charger. That 650 amp figure is a battery CCA rating- nothing to do with any battery charger.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Team Owner

most people I know dont want to wait 5 days for a new battery to be installed fully charged- just drive the thing an hour is all I said--based on my internet readings and personal experience selling auto parts and service and working on those same cars!

driving on a `just jump-started from dead` battery will shorten the life of any alternator and the battery
Have you priced an alternator for us!!

didnt say I had a 650 amp charger- thats what the battery will give in certain test,iirc

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 12-22-2009 at 10:28 AM.