Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2002, 06:10 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intakes

Which intake works the best for 2000 TL? And does the air bypass valve actually work for the AEM cold air intake? How is Injen's cold air intake?
Old 05-03-2002, 01:30 PM
Racer

Re: Intakes

Originally posted by Jeemac
Which intake works the best for 2000 TL? And does the air bypass valve actually work for the AEM cold air intake? How is Injen's cold air intake?
Originally posted by Jeemac
Intake issue has been addressed many times on this forum. Do a search on "intakes." If you're lazy, here's a plain and simple explanation:

* Best intake for 2000 TL: AEM Short Ram (Louder than Cold-Air); Just about the same in power gain (I think)
* Bypass-Valve: Prevents any harmful material from being sucked into your intake.
*Injen C.A.I: Works just as good as any other C.A.I there are for TL's.

Hope this helped out. And next time, please do a search before posting a new topic. It's most likely that your question has already been asked.
Old 05-03-2002, 02:18 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Intakes

He is right....try to do a search.

Best intake short ram??? LOL thus it is very loud, if very loud sound is your priority then it is the best.

Bypass prevents "harmful materials" no just water.

CAI is a longer version of the short ram, no noticiable difference in power between the two, just not as loud.

I still have my doubts about the bypass valve, but if they say it works....OK. I don't have it, so don't care.

Originally posted by tl-kode16

Intake issue has been addressed many times on this forum. Do a search on "intakes." If you're lazy, here's a plain and simple explanation:

* Best intake for 2000 TL: AEM Short Ram (Louder than Cold-Air); Just about the same in power gain (I think)
* Bypass-Valve: Prevents any harmful material from being sucked into your intake.
*Injen C.A.I: Works just as good as any other C.A.I there are for TL's.

Hope this helped out. And next time, please do a search before posting a new topic. It's most likely that your question has already been asked.
[FONT=times new roman]
Old 05-03-2002, 02:34 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Re: Intakes

Originally posted by tl-kode16

This so called "harmful material" is really reffering to water. But...I honestly believe that this is one product that the benefits does not outweight the negatives.

There is a lot of recalls on the bi-pass valve. Every year or so they seem to redesign it and recall the older models due to design flaws.

The foam filter might actually do more harm than good since they can be sucked into the engine (yes...these stories have been verified). The valve easily opens on idle and the amount of heat that the valve lets in negates the benefits of the CAI. The added turbulence of the bi-pass valve in high RPMs also rob power, and in addition, the cheapo plastic valve easily collapses in a mild impact shattering the unit.

Not to bash on the unit...the idea behind it is great...but the execution could still use a little work. As for the list above...all of them have been verified by users on this board.

Now...as for the common "you have a 30k car/engine...protect it" debate. Well, personally I believe this has been played out, and there has been no reported instance of a CAI user (limit this to a TL pease) hydrolocking the engine.

If you want to join the bandwagon...go right on ahead. You were smart enough to buy the car...so it is assumed that you would know well enough whether or not a bi-pass valve is needed considering your driving habbits. But...if you are one of those that have to even ask in the first place, then I seriously suggest you go with a short ram instead.

That said...if I owned a TL-P...I would of gone with the short ram plus heat shield option. This would get rid of the hydrolocking paranoia and would provide a better way to check and maintain the air filter.

P.S.
I have an Injen CAI mounted on a 2002 TLS.
Old 05-03-2002, 03:07 PM
JD7
Rizzie's the color!

Well what kind of water situation are we talking about here. Say its raining pretty hard one day and youre driving are you ok as long as you stay out of the puddles, or will the water being kicked up be bad enough?
Old 05-03-2002, 03:25 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by JD7
Well what kind of water situation are we talking about here. Say its raining pretty hard one day and youre driving are you ok as long as you stay out of the puddles, or will the water being kicked up be bad enough?
Doesnt really have to do anything with rain. Rain alone is not going to do anything...neither would a puddle.

You would need to drive over a miniature lake and get the water level to about as high as the doors for you to even think that your bi-pass is doing work. The filter has to be completely submerged. One way to trully test it is if you go drive at a beach with the left side of the car touching the tide like in Toyota Corrola S commercials.

Old 05-03-2002, 03:32 PM
Instructor

The short ram added about 4-h hp and sounded really really cool and BTW, I have a short ram RS Akimoto intake for sale. I had it on my V6 Accord for a year.

I will sell it for $100 shipped with K&N Filter Charger kit.
Old 05-03-2002, 04:06 PM
JD7
Rizzie's the color!

Originally posted by edgalang

Doesnt really have to do anything with rain. Rain alone is not going to do anything...neither would a puddle.

You would need to drive over a miniature lake and get the water level to about as high as the doors for you to even think that your bi-pass is doing work. The filter has to be completely submerged. One way to trully test it is if you go drive at a beach with the left side of the car touching the tide like in Toyota Corrola S commercials.

IC, well i think im just gonna pass on getting one when i get my intake, considering ill be in arizona for school in like 3 months, no need for one down there.