Intake question... AEM or INJEN

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 10:24 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Intake question... AEM or INJEN

Hey I need some advice! I know a lot of you guys have CAI- I am looking to put one in,but I needed some info and pricing first> I was originally going to put in OBX headers, but I am a poor ass hs student, so intake will do for now. I know that aem CAI, you have to cut the intake to fit the bypass valve- but is Injen the same way? ALso in terms of HP which one produces more or are they comparable?: Also if any of you has the link for the instructions to install an intake I would greatly appreciate it? Sorry this is so long... Is the price on this website the best deal? And if you guys got it installed at the dealer How much? THanks for all the help! here is my pics of my tls- http://www.acurainspired.com/gallery...umName=albup02
Old 03-13-2003, 12:01 AM
Banned

If you go to the FAQ on this website it shows instruction on AEM CAI, goodluck. Most people I know have AEM CAI...so dunno about INJEN. This website has decent prices but I bet you can find better prices if you look on the web.
Old 03-13-2003, 12:08 AM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Injen and AEM are so compareable you seriously cant go wrong with either... Now with the AEM V2 im not sute, that and you might want to look in to the Comptech IceBox. Heard good thing so far.
Old 03-13-2003, 12:23 AM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Intake question... AEM or INJEN

Originally posted by MQMH_03
Hey I need some advice! I know a lot of you guys have CAI- I am looking to put one in,but I needed some info and pricing first> I was originally going to put in OBX headers, but I am a poor ass hs student, so intake will do for now.
I have the Injen...and alot of local guys around me have AEM's...and honestly, If I were to do it all over again, I wouldn't. Save $$$ for the headers OR Icebox. If you NEED to spend that money (which I can safely say, I know the feeling) get exhaust tips or something. You'll change your mind sooner or later about a CAI.
Old 03-13-2003, 04:22 PM
Pro

So the intake wasn't a good investment for you huh? I looked into headers or exhaust but they were too expensive. I thought intake will give me the easy hp for cheap...? So your injen intake- do you have a bypass valve?
Old 03-13-2003, 07:46 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by MQMH_03
So the intake wasn't a good investment for you huh? I looked into headers or exhaust but they were too expensive. I thought intake will give me the easy hp for cheap...? So your injen intake- do you have a bypass valve?
Boy...let's not even talk about the bypass valve. Getting that will probably be your worst investment. This can open up a HUGE debate...so I advise using the search feature before going any further since I've talked about this subject to the death already.

In summary, by installing the valve, you lower your HP to a short ram equivalent...and lowering your filtration capability. DOUBLE WAMMY!
Old 03-13-2003, 10:37 PM
Racer

if you want a cold air intake you might as well get the Comptech "Ice Box" intake...it probably gives the best hp gain i know of....
Old 03-14-2003, 09:15 PM
Pro

WHy does the bypass valve lessen the horsepower gains? Does it restrict air flow? Isn't it only a filter? So you are recommending I go with a short ram intake? Thanks for the help...
Old 03-14-2003, 09:20 PM
Pro

I also live in inclimate weather- meaning harsh winters? Should I skip on the CAI?
Old 03-14-2003, 11:59 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the Injen and my friend with a CL-S has the aem, and another friend has the comptech icebox. I had the bypass valve on and when i took it off i notice the car got louder and a little more responsive. The Injen is way louder than the AEM and gains are similar for both. Now here is for the ice box. My two buddies cars are set up as followed:
2001 CL-S:
-Aem Intake with bypass
-OBX Headers
-HKS axle-back Exhaust
-18 Ace Alloy wheels(heavy) with crappy Kuhmo Ecsta supra 700
-comptech springs

2002 CL-S
-Comptech IceBox
-Comptech Headers
-Comptech Springs
-Comptech Sways
-Comptech Titanium Strut Tower Bar
-SSR 17 forged lightweight wheels on mich. all seasons sport

They ran a bunch of times and the results are the same. The guy with the 01 has supposedly "inferior" products in the intake and headers department, but his car has tons more torque and way more power. When they line up and run from a stop the guy in the 01 pulls by 4 cars everytime till like 80, passed 80 and he pulls by more cars. Off a roll the 01 pulls even harder. Both cars are on their second trannies. The 01 kills the 02 in everything but handling. The guy with the 02 said he felt and heard no difference with the icebox. i have been in both cars the 02 felt the same with the stock air box and icebox. and header wise, the obx's make the care feel tourqier than the comptechs, and that is all tested by running the cars in real siuations. I mean i have a TL-P with Injen intake and OBX Headers on CL-S Chromes and i hung 2 cars behind the 02 with headers and he couldnt shake me.
Sorry for the long post but these are my facts and opinions.