Intake ? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 12:47 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake ? HELP!

Ok, I just got off the phone with the comptech guy, Bob, and he said he was getting a couple of calls reguarding the Ice Box intake for 99 TL's.. Or that style anyways. He says it's gonna be a couple of weeks of so before I can order, so he can get a part number, and mod the intake correctly to fit our vehicle. That's fine. But inorder to install it, you have to pull the bumper off... Is it really, really worth all the extra work and the extra 100 bucks for this intake? I could get an AEM for 100 bucks less, and I wouldn't have to take my bumper off. What should I do?

Recomendations apprecieated as always, Feedback would be real nice.

-Paul-
Old 04-18-2003, 08:55 PM
Instructor

Comon guys, noone has ANY feedback?!?!

-Paul-
Old 04-18-2003, 09:20 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I say go with the AEM. The icebox is so quiet you wouldn't even know that you actually swap out the stock one. Why paid more for the same gain.
Old 04-18-2003, 09:52 PM
Pro

If you're thinking about the AEM cold air intake you still need to remove the bumper to install it. If you just want the short ram, which sucks the warm air out of the engine compartment, you won't need to remove the bumper.
Old 04-18-2003, 09:56 PM
Instructor

Don't bother getting the Comptech Icebox. Comptech is so backordered with icebox. I went with the groupbuy in February and they've had my $$$ since then. It's almost 60 days now and they can't even tell when they'll ship. I opted for the icebox for ease of cleaning the filter. I understand there's hardly any difference between stock and the icebox. I totally regret this decision. This is one of those events in life that you wish there was a "rewind" or "undo" button. I've asked for my $$ back but the group buy administrator insist that I wait. This definitely affects the way I feel about Comptech and their products. Thank heavens I bought HR springs. Also glad that there are competitors (OBX, Neuspeed, AEM, etc.)
Old 04-18-2003, 09:57 PM
Instructor

Ok... So, if I do the cold air, nomatter what I'm going to need to take the bumper off.... ****. Well, would I still need the bypass valve for the short ram? I don't want a bypass valve, I'm told they suck... and they can mess things up.
Old 04-18-2003, 10:13 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You don't need to take off the bumper for installing an intake. Who gave you that idea? I did it without it. If you plan to install a shortram, a bypass valve is not needed.
Old 04-19-2003, 12:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally posted by steadydaddy
Don't bother getting the Comptech Icebox. Comptech is so backordered with icebox. I went with the groupbuy in February and they've had my $$$ since then. It's almost 60 days now and they can't even tell when they'll ship. I opted for the icebox for ease of cleaning the filter. I understand there's hardly any difference between stock and the icebox. I totally regret this decision. This is one of those events in life that you wish there was a "rewind" or "undo" button. I've asked for my $$ back but the group buy administrator insist that I wait. This definitely affects the way I feel about Comptech and their products. Thank heavens I bought HR springs. Also glad that there are competitors (OBX, Neuspeed, AEM, etc.)
What group buy did you join?? Any why blame Comptech for your decision to trust and buy from some independant whom they have no connection with.

FYI, I ordered an Icebox from this site on 4/1/03 through Tim. It was on backorder like you said for all vendors, but as of late its only for like 7-10 days, not months. Its been sitting in my room since this past Tuesday, and Im just waiting for the time to Install it.
Old 04-19-2003, 09:06 AM
Instructor

I was told that for the cold air intake, inorder to install it you had to take the bumper off to get the resanator out, or something like that. If I get a cold air AEM, I won't need to take the bumper off??

Awesome.

-Paul-
Old 04-19-2003, 09:10 AM
Instructor

Ok, well, I've decided to go with the AEM Intake. Now I need to decide weither to do a cold air, or a short ram..... I really don't want to take the bumper off, and I want to get the most sound/power out of the 2. Which one should I get?
Old 04-19-2003, 10:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
The Cold Air will give you more gains, no doubt about it. Thats a function of the cold air, and also the longer intake stack that gives you more low end torque also.

If you get a Cold Air, AEM or Comptech, you have to drop the bumper in order to remove the resonator thats there. The AEM filter, and Comptech air horn both will sit in that same spot. So ALL cold air intakes will require you to drop the bumper.

If you get an AEM Short Ram intake, then you dont need to remove the bumper to install it, but many people still like to remove the resonator because it may let at least a little cooler air enter the engine bay.

One of the TL-S members posted a link with dynos of the Comptech Icebox vs the AEM Cold Air, and the Icebox gave more hp, and more torque.

I just wanted good gains with minimal noise so I went with the Icebox.

Removing the bumper is not as difficult as you think, do a search, and you'll see.
Old 04-19-2003, 10:27 AM
Peach Tea

Originally posted by TouringLuxury99
Ok, well, I've decided to go with the AEM Intake. Now I need to decide weither to do a cold air, or a short ram..... I really don't want to take the bumper off, and I want to get the most sound/power out of the 2. Which one should I get?
if you get cold air, you WILL have to take the bumper to remove the resonator. there is a way around it but its damn near impossible and it will be 100X easier to remove the bumper. removing the bumper is not hard at all. if you really dont want to do this, get a short ram, BUT the resonator will still be in the way and you will get less air to it. either way ur gonna want to or have to remove the resonator (remove the bumper).
Old 04-19-2003, 10:30 AM
Peach Tea

oh, and the bypass valve is not needed w/ short ram b/c it sits in the engine compartment and there is no chance of sucking up water.
Old 04-19-2003, 11:13 AM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

dont forget: the short ram is LOUD AS FAWK!!

@cUr@-TL