Intake/Filter & Chips

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 07:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake/Filter & Chips

I'm looking for a few inexpensice (under $400) performance mods for my TL-S. I don't want to compromise driveability or interior noise or anything like that (not to mention the warranty).

I've modified cars in the past and am kind of retired from it. I bought this car as a performance luxury sedan, not trying rice is out or turn it into a sports car.

My main objective is insuring a performance edge over the BMW 330i (manual) and other similarly powered cars. From what I take it is about even with a stock TL-S.

So I was thinking, if it is about even, just throw in a K&N Filter Replacement for a REAL EASY few extra HP. Be done with it and spend the money on the stereo system. But then it probably doesn't even make a significant difference.

So I was wondering on the kits that replace the entire air intake box, do they make a noticeable louder noise (usually a sucking sound) in the interior under everyday driving (medium) acceleration and/or high acceleration? In past cars they made a difference but I'm wondering if the sound deadening of the TL is so good, you can't here the difference?

Wondering which one people recommend, especially from the standpoint of easiest install and how long does it take to put in? Does it void the warranty?

Also wondering if anyone knows of anyone making performance chips for the TL-S? I would love to buy a chip that overrides the automatice 1st to 2nd gear shift even in Sport Shift mode and advances the timing a bit to give more HP by taking advantage of higher octane (92) fuel. (Other wise high-octane fuel is a waste of money when they engine is set to run on 87 stock.)

Also, how important is the bypass valve on these aftermarket intakes?
Old 12-07-2001, 04:15 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Every time I suggest to people to do a search, Daryl@com rags at me, so I will be extremely gratuitous and say:

The reason no one has responded to your question is that the topics have been discussed in great detail, over and over, and you will likely get a much better answer searching on "K&N", filters, chips, etc.
Old 12-07-2001, 06:04 PM
Intermediate

Ya I know, but I always re-post anyway because most of the time, wading through the search is as much trouble as just starting a new thread.

I'll search, I'll search..
Old 12-09-2001, 06:42 AM
Banned

j:

Mmmmm....I suggest to you to do what I'm doing...which is getting the polished clear coated AEM CAI, and getting the Unichip as well. That should take care of all your issues. And Unichip is cheap, and you can program it yourself if you'd like to...it's I believe the most configurable one out there...better than the bloated AEM system...

Austin519
Old 12-09-2001, 06:43 AM
Banned

Oh and about CAI noise...just ask in a post...but I have ridden in two cars with the CAI I talk about, and it gives the sounds similar to my comptech exhaust...quiet at idle...a little louder than stock normal driving...and a deep throaty roar of bestial power at VTEC. Heh heh heh...

Austin519