Installed new brake pads, squeeking bad....

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 10:15 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Installed new brake pads, squeeking bad....

Sup guys: I just installed some pads on my car by myself but for some reason they are giving some squeeking noice. Using semi metallics from Kragen, raybestos NS.... any ideas why or how I can fix it?
Old 03-29-2004, 10:33 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did u use antichatter grease?
Old 03-29-2004, 10:36 AM
Advanced

What is that? where do you apply it to?
Old 03-29-2004, 10:38 AM
Instructor

Hi, I just did a full brake and rotor swap on my 02' TL type S this weekend. I put on Bendix Semi Metallic front bads and carbon metallic rears. I also installed IRotors cross drilled and slotted rotors dipped in zinc .

BTW, those who have recommended using an Impact Screw Driver in conjunction with a 3lb mallet ( both available at sears )...

Bless you!! Those two tools made the job a piece of cake!! Those retaining screws that hold each rotor in place would really be a b$%@# otherwise.

Anyway. I've been messing with brakes for a long time now, on different cars I've owned. One thing that has seemed to make a difference is using brake grease.

I put a thin layer of grease on the back of each brake pad. Then attach the heat shield (from the old brake pad) to the new break pad. I then apply a layer of grease on the heat shield where it comes into contact with the brake caliper.

On the side with the piston, there is usually two thin sheets of metal (more or less), one is the heat shield, the other is a shim the ( I suppose...) protects the heat shield from being worn away by the brake caliper's piston. Before you reattach each sheet of metal to the back of each brake pad, remember to spread a thin layer brake grease first (kinda like spreading mayo on a sandwich... )

From what I've heard, when you don't do the grease thing, vibrations generated from the pads clamping the rotors basically turn the brake assemblies into tweeters, like those on a stereo speaker. A squeaking noise (like you're hearing now...) is the result.

Hope this helps...

Sorry for the long post.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:02 AM
Instructor

Very well said. BTW, ngcreese how much did it cost to get the rotors dipped in zinc? Where can it be done?
Old 03-29-2004, 11:16 AM
Advanced

Wow... not even a long post super helpful buddy.... Nah I didn't need a impact wrench.... just using a box wrench and pipe and just cranked.... wasn't hard... what brake grease do you think I should use? also.... so it is between the 3 small thin metal plates right?
Old 03-29-2004, 01:11 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the compliment. Usually, new brake pads come with a small packet of grease. This is enough to do four pads, including the heat shields and shims for each pad.

The Bendix brakes that I used included some grease in the box that had the two pairs of brake pads for the rear of my car.

The box that had the two pairs of brake pads for the front didn't have any. So, I picked up two extra packets of brake grease at Autozone (each packet is about the size of a packet of ketchup you would get at a fast food place...).

I got my rotors from www.irotors.com.

This is the second time I have bought from these folks. Last year, around this time, I ordered a set of rotors from them on a group buy, for my '00 Eclipse GT 3.0 5 speed. My girlfriend drives that car most of the time.

Now, considering that she's a more aggressive driver, on the average day, than I am and the rotors are still very nice after ~15K miles of her driving style. I figured, that's enough stress testing for me!

So, now that the stock rotors are warped out (after lending her my car of course... ), I got a second pair for the TLS.

The set of 4 cross drilled and slotted rotors cost me $259. The zinc plating cost an extra $25 for the front and $25 for the rear pairs. So, the total cost was $309, plus shipping from California. The rotors were shipped with in 2 days and I had them a week after they were shipped out.

The brake pads, I picked up from another local car shop, called GB500, in Brooklyn. They cost me about $50 for front and rear brake pad sets.

I think they are a good deal.