Injen CAI

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 05:50 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injen CAI

Over a month ago I had a CAI installed at the dealer. I wanted to have it done at the dealer, rather than doing it myself, but I was wrong. The first 2 weeks were normal, but after I started to hear noises from driver's front side. These noises appeared only when I turned on or off the engine. These noises pissed me off badly and I finally found that. They come from the pipe (intake), which touches the edge of the metal (round hole) near the by-pass valve. There is a scratchon the other side of the pipe, I can't see it, but I can feel it is about 1/16 of an inch deep. How thick is the wall of the pipe? Maybe there is a hole in the pipe, already? I have an appoitment next week at the dealer. Should I fix it myself or wait untill the next week and let them see it? What You guys think? Are they going to change the pipe? Any advice would be appriciated.

Jarek
Old 10-09-2002, 05:57 PM
Mr. Self Destruct

What noises are you talking about? You should hear the same noises when turning your car on or off as before, except they are much louder now due to the lack of resonators and the more breathable filter.

Please provide more details.
Old 10-09-2002, 06:14 PM
Pro

Re: Injen CAI

Originally posted by JAREKsTLS
Over a month ago I had a CAI installed at the dealer. I wanted to have it done at the dealer, rather than doing it myself, but I was wrong. The first 2 weeks were normal, but after I started to hear noises from driver's front side. These noises appeared only when I turned on or off the engine. These noises pissed me off badly and I finally found that. They come from the pipe (intake), which touches the edge of the metal (round hole) near the by-pass valve. There is a scratchon the other side of the pipe, I can't see it, but I can feel it is about 1/16 of an inch deep. How thick is the wall of the pipe? Maybe there is a hole in the pipe, already? I have an appoitment next week at the dealer. Should I fix it myself or wait untill the next week and let them see it? What You guys think? Are they going to change the pipe? Any advice would be appriciated.

Jarek
I know exactly what you are talking about Jarek. I have Injen CAI installed too and had the same problem. The noise happens when the intake body bangs against the bottom edge of the opening. At start up and off, the intake vibrates hitting the opening. You can probably hear it too when you go over potholes or something. It's a really simple fix. Take a screw driver, losen the connection between the intake pipe and the engine manifold. Slightly wiggle (rotate it towards your body if you are standing in front of the car) the intake up away from the bottom edge of the opening. Take caution not to rotate too much though. If you do (like I did), the intake filter will start hitting the back of the foglight housing causing it to vibrate. You don't want that either. One of my fog lights got busted due to that reason. So, find that happy medium. One you do, tighten the screws back up and voila...problem fixed. You don't need to waste another trip back to the dealer. Hope this helps.

axleback
Old 10-09-2002, 08:43 PM
Advanced

You are absolutly right axleback. Thanks for the info on how to fix it (already did). But on the other side of the pipe there is a deep scratch and I have to tell the dealer about it. I paid $80 for the labor and they did awful job. I think they should exchange it for the new one.

Jarek
Old 10-10-2002, 12:08 AM
Pro

Originally posted by JAREKsTLS
You are absolutly right axleback. Thanks for the info on how to fix it (already did). But on the other side of the pipe there is a deep scratch and I have to tell the dealer about it. I paid $80 for the labor and they did awful job. I think they should exchange it for the new one.

Jarek
You're right. If you spent $80 on labor, they should do a good job of not damaging your part. I have a deep scratch on my intake too. But since I did the install myself, I can only blame myself . Bring that up to the dealer and if they value your business, they should do something for you. They are probably not going to give you a new intake (since that stratch doesn't effect performance). However, they might offer you a couple of free oil changes or something. Keep us posted.

axleback