Info on Apexi & Neuspeed Exhaust systems

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 12:16 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
Info on Apexi & Neuspeed Exhaust systems

For those of you with the second gen TL or TL-S and are looking for a good exhaust system, may i suggest the APexi WS II cat back,

This link sells it for $514.00 plus shipping
Link 1

Heres the link to the neuspeed CL catback exhaust its 599.00
Link2

For those who are wondering wuts the difference between the WS 1 and WS 2 well not much really sounds the same, a lil more throaty and the tips are WAY better looking, 4" rolled edge, following are some pix from another acura tl owner. (AcuraTL2000)

Old 12-23-2004, 05:27 PM
El Presidente

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks man! i wish i had that kinda dough, but i think those are by far the best lookin exhuast s for our car!
Old 12-23-2004, 05:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
nice!
Old 12-23-2004, 07:19 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

I am stuck between Neuspeed and Apexi . I bought my Tl-S and the last owner put on a nice custom exhaust on it, has got the same sound as the HKS do ( i know coz on my last TL-P i use to have HKSz), but i want a throatier sound, comptechs are way to quite for my taste. Something like this
Link
Link2
argh i dont wanna spend 500 or so bux just to get the same sound that i have now . And yea i am planning to get a highflow cat from magnaflow, or a test pipe put in
Old 12-23-2004, 09:21 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jack_n_coke
For those of you with the second gen TL or TL-S and are looking for a good exhaust system, may i suggest the APexi WS II cat back,

Heres the link to the site that i found to be selling it the cheapest , $ 545.22, shipping is free

Apexi

For those who are wondering wuts the difference between the WS 1 and WS 2 well not much really sounds the same, a lil more throaty and the tips are WAY better looking, 4" rolled edge, following are some pix from another acura tl owner. (AcuraTL2000)

You sure this is WS II. When he posted his pix a while back, WS II for our car wasn't available....
Old 12-23-2004, 09:29 PM
yo!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is that just a regular honda emblem just from any other car???
Old 12-23-2004, 09:29 PM
S = Slow

Did he extend the exhaust to be flush with the lip?
Old 12-23-2004, 10:04 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is HKS not loud? how does it sound???
Old 12-23-2004, 10:07 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mongolian
You sure this is WS II. When he posted his pix a while back, WS II for our car wasn't available....
I am pretty sure that its WS II, but heres another pic just to show how the tips are different from the WS one,
Old 12-23-2004, 10:11 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

HKS isnt loud, it just has a HUMMMMM to it, which dies after 3k rpm. I wanted to get something like the magnaflow on the audi A4, and btw thats not a 1.8 turbo one i checked its a 3.0 V6 A4. As in one of my earlier posts, people thought and argued that one can never get that throaty of a sound from a regular engine, and the reason why that Audi was so throaty was coz it was a turbo, which infact it wasnt. Anyways if someone has any sound clips for this WS II, please feel free to post. I am also lookin into the greddy EVO2, it sounds good i checked some clips on ACL, but the problem is fitment since its made for the CLS and not for the TLS.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:18 PM
El Presidente

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
man the Greddy ones look like fartchans, id just keep my eyes pealed for some used CT Exhuasts or get a custom magnaflow setup
Old 12-23-2004, 10:29 PM
Banned

jack n coke-so it dosnt sound anything like that lexus did on that video clip???? i want mine to sound like that!
Old 12-23-2004, 10:34 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

^^ no it does not, i have had HKS and i have had Borla ( on the current TLS), nothing sounds like that, something that DOES come close is the Greddy set up for the CLS, it sounds awesome, but is shyt load of money and also looks fugly from the rear end. Looks wise the WS looks awesome, mind you it looks better than the comptechs reason being that it has 4 inch rolled tips, comptech has i believe 3 inch ones. If you like the sound clip that i had posted in the other thread try the two audi ones above, you will love them as well, thats the sound that i am shooting for. Apexi looks promising, but i have no idea how it sounds like. For those who are wondering which lexus rolinacura19 is talking about check this link out Link
Old 12-23-2004, 10:59 PM
Banned

so hks is not worth getting or wut? i relaly like the sound of that lexus i like that kind of tone. wut does the hks sound like then?
Old 12-24-2004, 06:48 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by rolinacura19
so hks is not worth getting or wut? i relaly like the sound of that lexus i like that kind of tone. wut does the hks sound like then?
No, even with the resonater removed it would not sound like that. There are a few reason,
1) The lexus has only one exhaust outlet, meaning that all the exhaust flow, noise, pressure passes through that one muffler, thats why it sounds so deep and throaty. One muffler is doing all the job, where as in our TLz the job is divided into two mufflers, so all the pressure noise, and exhaust flow is already cut in half when it reachs the mufflers.

2) THe shape of the muffler, if you notice the IS300 muffler is ROUND, and is smaller than the HKS 5 X11 inchers, thats another reason why the sound comes out like that.

I bought the HKS after seeing that clip, and was sure mine would sound like that, but i was wrong, i tried taking the resonater out as well, all it did was increase the noise, without giving it the character . THe greddy exhaust comes close and following is the link to how it sounds, it sounds almost ( and i mean almost )like the G35 exhaust note. The reason being coz it uses round exhausts as well just like the Lexus HKS exhaust.

Here is what i am thinking of, i am pretty sure that the APexi sounds same as the HKS and the Neuspeed one. And i have tried HKS, i am shooting for the Greddy right now. I found this on ebay, Link , what i am thinking of right now is to get two of these mufflers and have a exhaust shop make me an axle back system for the TL-S. While doing that i will ask them to tuck it in, so that it does not sound like big arse fart cans as it does on the CL-S.
heres a sound clip of the EVO2 on a CLS --

Outside the car
Inside the Car

Video

Following are some pix of the EVO on CLSs, frome differnet owners, taken from acl.com

And here is how the HKS Looks, the first few pix are with the factory B pipe, and the later ones are with custom made aftermarkert B Pipe,

Custom B and Y pipe

I hope all this info helps in making a choice. I am totally lost, lmao. So far i am leaning towards the EVO, i'll give it a shot, by the mufflers from ebay, have a custom job done, will cost around 200 bux, i think its worth a shot. Lets see what happens.

By the way feel free to hand out rep points :-D
Old 12-24-2004, 07:55 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

For those who want the sound of a single exhaust but still want dual exhaust in the back heres an option, Link , get a custom exhaust set up made, such as magnaflow or so, put this one in between the pipe to ONE of the mufflers, control it from the inside of the car. Open the valve when you dont want the sound and close it when you do.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:42 AM
Banned

EXCELLANT WRITE UP!!!thanks so much i really appreciate it. I was looking at the magnaflow cat back system and they make one for the 98-00 v6 accord which would fit our car. And if it sounds anything like that audi does, im definately getting that. I guess i wont ever find the same sound as that lexus but o well. Im glad you kind of talked me out of hks because i dont wanna sound like the local street racer boy but i still do want to be able to pull up to dinner or whatever with my girlfriend and still sound like a 30k dollar car. So i dunno its up in the air at this point. By the way if i new how to give points i would!!
Old 12-24-2004, 10:44 AM
Pro

I'm very interested in getting exhausts...are those apexi's ws the I or the II on that black TL from texas? I really like that look..
Old 12-24-2004, 10:53 AM
Pro

do these apexi's ws II have perfect fitment with the hangers and length? Someone please comment!
Old 12-24-2004, 11:12 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

^^ yes they do , they are made for the TL, so no adjustments have to be made, the link the i provided in the first post is to the cheapest i can find them.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:18 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

EXCELLANT WRITE UP!!!thanks so much i really appreciate it. I was looking at the magnaflow cat back system and they make one for the 98-00 v6 accord which would fit our car. And if it sounds anything like that audi does, im definately getting that. I guess i wont ever find the same sound as that lexus but o well. Im glad you kind of talked me out of hks because i dont wanna sound like the local street racer boy but i still do want to be able to pull up to dinner or whatever with my girlfriend and still sound like a 30k dollar car. So i dunno its up in the air at this point. By the way if i new how to give points i would!!
Yeah i looked into magnaflows as well, and believe me if i could get the Audi sound out of them i would spend the money to get the exhaust made for Accord and have it custom fitted to the car. HKS are nice, dont get me wrong, but if you want the throaty sound they are not the ones you should get. I am gonna look into the Ebay option that i stated above.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:05 PM
Banned

ya let em no how that works out for you. so after installing hks can you even hear it haha? i def want something that you can tell but has a good deep tone. you dont think the magnaflow would sound like the audi for our application?
Old 12-24-2004, 01:13 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

THe magnaflows would not sound like the audi, check out the posts in this following thread by people with cusotm magnaflow exhaust, specially post#3.
Thread

by the way heres a pic of the Neuspeed cat back, it sounds the same as the Apexi WS I .
Old 12-24-2004, 03:48 PM
Banned

damn man i never new this would be so complicated im glad you have all these sound clips, so far i like the sound of the magnaflow the best- i wonder how much i could get it for and how hard it would be to put on?
Old 12-25-2004, 03:46 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

^^ another critical info that someone looking into magnaflows should know is that all the sound clips of magnaflow set ups on ACL and ATL.com are of people WITH CAIz, and the sound that you MOST hear in the clips are of those CAIz, and in the background is the HMMMMMMMMM sounding exhaust note. So dont confuse them with each other. Nothing against people with Magnaflows, but thats not what you (rolinacura19) and me myself want.
Old 12-25-2004, 10:05 PM
i

Originally Posted by jack_n_coke
HKS isnt loud, it just has a HUMMMMM to it, which dies after 3k rpm.
every aftermarket exhaust won't be very loud unless u get the stock resonator replaced or removed, and they all die after 3000 RPM, thats just the way our cars are. After i put on my magnaflows i only noticed a slight deep tone on quick acclerations up to 2500 RPM, so i got an 18" magnaflow muffler/resonator to replace the stock one and its much louder.

damn man i never new this would be so complicated im glad you have all these sound clips, so far i like the sound of the magnaflow the best- i wonder how much i could get it for and how hard it would be to put on?
the best thing u can do for ur exhaust sound is to get headers. they make any aftermarket exhaust sound alot nicer

www.completeexhaust.com is where i got my parts from (referred by Joseph, thanks). all the parts over the phone (mufflers, y-pipe, resonator) cost me 270 shipped. Installation cost me 250 for everything --> new piping and hangers for the mufflers (cost me a little more than usual cuz i had stock resonator cut out and replaced with a pipe, then decided to replace with magnaflow resonator) pretty much the cost of an Apexi WS I w/o installation.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:11 AM
Mr. 2tone

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
do u think the EVOs would fit flush with the WW rear?
Old 12-26-2004, 02:52 AM
Comptech Freak

Originally Posted by moahdriven
every aftermarket exhaust won't be very loud unless u get the stock resonator replaced or removed, and they all die after 3000 RPM, thats just the way our cars are. After i put on my magnaflows i only noticed a slight deep tone on quick acclerations up to 2500 RPM, so i got an 18" magnaflow muffler/resonator to replace the stock one and its much louder.

the best thing u can do for ur exhaust sound is to get headers. they make any aftermarket exhaust sound alot nicer

www.completeexhaust.com is where i got my parts from (referred by Joseph, thanks). all the parts over the phone (mufflers, y-pipe, resonator) cost me 270 shipped. Installation cost me 250 for everything --> new piping and hangers for the mufflers (cost me a little more than usual cuz i had stock resonator cut out and replaced with a pipe, then decided to replace with magnaflow resonator) pretty much the cost of an Apexi WS I w/o installation.

with the exhaust did u ever draw attention to the cops while you are crusing down the road?

i afraid the 4" tips draws a big attention
Old 12-26-2004, 11:20 AM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
where can you get a custom y pipe made? and how much should it cost?
Old 12-26-2004, 06:56 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mongolian
Here are both, Apexi WS I and Apexi WS II side by side, i'll let you be the decide on that thought.
THis one is Apexi WS I

And this one is the WS II

, i hate the Greddy Evo look, but love the sound, and thats what i am getting in the next few weeks or so.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:10 PM
i

Originally Posted by samkws
with the exhaust did u ever draw attention to the cops while you are crusing down the road?

i afraid the 4" tips draws a big attention
haven't drawn too much attention. this one time a cop was followin me and i was afraid he'd pull me over for havin loud exhaust so i kept it in 3rd geard and above 3k RPM...nothing happened

Originally Posted by njzprettyboy
where can you get a custom y pipe made? and how much should it cost?
any muffler shop could custom make a Y-pipe for u, i assume it'd cost around 30-50 dollars. The magnaflow one was 22 when i ordered by phone from completeexhaust.com, part#10785 i think
Old 12-26-2004, 10:15 PM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
moah, got pics of ur setup? i am actually looking for both, a b and y pipe, kinda like the one comptech sells for the tls, cuz i have a tlp...how much would a good shop to make something like that? or was that price for all of that??
Old 12-27-2004, 01:52 AM
i

Originally Posted by njzprettyboy
moah, got pics of ur setup? i am actually looking for both, a b and y pipe, kinda like the one comptech sells for the tls, cuz i have a tlp...how much would a good shop to make something like that? or was that price for all of that??
DO NOT waste ur money on comptech B-Pipe. Absolute rip off. Buy your mufflers (magnaflow or wutever u want), take it to muffler shop, or call around asking who charges least to put new catback piping on.

When u go, tell the guy u want the new mufflers put in and that ud like new piping from the mufflers to the new y-pipe u have (or ask him to make a custom y-pipe). Then ask him to make new piping from the y-pipe to ur new magnaflow resontor (18" or 22") which u will want in place of stock one cuz it stock muffles too much noise. Then have him make new piping from the resonator all the way to the catalyctic converter.

My total expenses for whole thing:
200 to weld hangers on mufflers, put them in, and put new axle-back piping w/ new y-pipe to resonator
45 to cut out old resonator and replace with straight pipe. (sound too loud so...)
20 dollars to cut out ^that straight pipe and weld in magnaflow resonator
80 dollars to put new piping from resoator to cat

result...

wider axleback piping, sorry no catback or resonator pics

magnaflow y-pipe. 2.5" inlet, 2.25" outlet

njz pm if u have nemore q's
Old 12-27-2004, 04:28 AM
Mr. 2tone

Here are both, Apexi WS I and Apexi WS II side by side, i'll let you be the decide on that thought.
stray question that needs to b answered with a straight answer...which rear is that in on the black n blue tl...OEM or WW...im so confused kuz ive gotten mixed answers...
Old 12-27-2004, 08:58 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

^^ seems to be a WW rear, and OEM sides. I have OEM body kit on my car, the front and sides are way better than the WW body kit, but i would love to have the rear replaced by the WW.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:46 PM
Mr. 2tone

sweet...thx
Old 12-28-2004, 01:36 AM
Pro

What exhaust is this? I thought it was the Apexi but it doesn't have the apexi y pipe....

Old 12-28-2004, 01:48 AM
Comptech Freak

Originally Posted by PDX3.2TL
What exhaust is this? I thought it was the Apexi but it doesn't have the apexi y pipe....

Greedy
Old 12-28-2004, 07:46 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

^^ WRONG

its HKS, i did mention in my post as well that its HKS with factory B pipe, the pix that followed were of the same car with the same exhaust but an aftermarket custom made B pipe.

^^ HKS with Factory B pipe

^^Same car with custom made B pipe.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:35 AM
Pro

time to bump an old thread. Has anyone actually seen an felt any gains from having a full custom catback put in versus a axelback exhaust? Now that I have everything in, (ie headers, intake), i was just thinking about just cutting out the factory resonators and getting a high flow cat. Wouldn't that be about the same as getting a custom 2.5" catback with Magnaflows? I don't want the exhaust to be obnoxiously loud. The point is to extract as much power out of this exhaust without spending a load of money and keeping it quiet. thanks.

Quick Reply: Info on Apexi & Neuspeed Exhaust systems