Infant seats -- any tips to fit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2001, 01:04 PM

Infant seats -- any tips to fit?

I recently went to test drive the Type S, only to find that our Britax Freeway infant seat did not fit securely in the back seat -- it seemed like the feaux-headrest and seat padding were too soft to create a secure latch. No matter how hard I pressed the infant seat into the bench or pulled the tether, I still found more lateral give at top and/or bottom than we have on our current cars (or that I found on a BMW or Infiniti, for that matter). Needless to say, my wife was perturbed and I have to cross this car off the list unless someone has suggestions: does anyone have any experience with making the car seat stay in place securely?
Old 08-27-2001, 01:24 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The car seat that I use is from Century. It fits fine. I need to put a cloth underneath the car seat though. It is because, by doing this the car seat will not move around that much.
Old 08-27-2001, 02:42 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Probable user error ! There are tons of families using these cars - we also used a Century and the high mount tether with no problems whatsoever. Some play is inevitable, and has not deletrious effect on performance.

I also recommend a towel under the seat for two reasons:

1) So the leather does not get embossed
2) so baby "residue" does not get into the leater
Old 08-28-2001, 06:17 AM

No user error

Uh, no, it was not user error. I have installed our car seats in several cars during test drives and general car-to-car shuffling (in-laws, from one of our cars to the other, etc.). I know how to do it. The TL was, by far, the least secure and most difficult car in which to install the seat that I have tried. According to several websites, however, the 2002 TLs are fitted for the LATCH system (which the dealer neglected to mention). My plan now is to test drive a couple more 2002 cars. If the TL is my preference, I'll work $360 into the budget for two new LATCH-compatible car seats (after I test the system to make sure the seat is secure!). FYI, you are supposed to have no more than 2 inches of lateral movement on the seat after installing it (and no forward movement). Most people do not install their car seats properly.
Old 08-28-2001, 09:43 AM
Banned

Yes, the 02 TLS is LATCH compliant. We also have an '01 Honda Odyssey which has the latch system. All I can say is - WOW! The system works great - the seats are in very tight, and I can do it consistently. We always leave the seats in the Odyssey, but I have a booster seat I sometimes put in my TLS, and it attaches quickly and perfectly.

Here is a tip - LATCH carseats are expensive, and there are only like 4 models to choose from. Century makes an EZLatch adapter kit that fits all Century and Graco seats. However, I am pretty sure you can use this with any carseat. It's just a seatbelt with the latch connectors on each end. You can pick them up at Babies 'R Us for about $25. None of our carseats are latch seats, but this kit works great. It's a good deal, especially if you have already invested big bucks in a carseat (like a Britax).

BTW, without the LATCH system, the TL is very difficult to get a secure fit in. My old '00 TL was OK, but the bolstered seats on the TLS are a different story. I gave up trying to put the seat in the middle - the bolstering would always allow it to move from side to side.
Old 08-28-2001, 02:36 PM
Advanced

I have 2 century car seats and most of the time they are permanent in my wifes Odyssey. Placing each seat in the bucket portions of the rear seat doesn't seem to be that big a deal. I use a car seat mat to protect the leather. To be honest I used the tether the first time, got the seat real tight but I didn't like the impression it made in the headrest so I don't use it anymore but still get a snug fit. I actually kneel in the seat putting all my weight in when attaching the base with the seat belt.

I have to look into that latch conversion thing, sounds like a good quick change.