I'm the new guy. And Prices I heard.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2001, 12:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm the new guy. And Prices I heard.

Hi guys,

I'm new. I just thought I'd introduce myself. Plan on buying a TL-S from now to whenever I can get a fair price. It seems like the going rate in the Bay Area is $33000!!! I'm like, F*ck that. But if I go down to S. Cali, it will be around $31500. This is as of October 2001.

If you guys know a better deal, let me know. The guy I talked to says there is a shortage of cars right now. This is wierd because from the posts I've been reading from you guys, they were much cheaper in April.

I also heard that invoice went up by $400, so the new price for TL-S is $30,300 about. This price is with the Navigation.

-mushen
Old 10-02-2001, 12:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts
I was at Butts Acura here in Monterey last weekend, and they have so many new cars on the lot that there isn't even anyplace for CUSTOMERS to park. They had at least a dozen RSX's (is that car not selling as well as the Integra did, I wonder?), probably twenty CLs (that car is DEFINITELY not selling), and ten TLs (including four Type-S's).

I have a funny feeling that they won't give you any "over MSRP" price quotes...
Old 10-02-2001, 12:46 PM
Advanced

i bought my cls without navi at the msrp price but i was kind of happy as i am too excited to get the car.
Old 10-02-2001, 02:33 PM
tea elle

I don't think you'll do better than 31.5 for TL-S with Navi. I paid 31K back in July before the price increase.
Old 10-02-2001, 03:36 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This was the prices I got BEFORE taxes and extended warranty.

Model: 2002 3.2 TL Type S with Navigation

All-Season Floor Mats 56.00
Black Wood A/C Vent Trim 54.00
Trunk Tray 106.00

Wheel Locks 63.00
Front Under Body Spoiler 469.00
Rear Under Body Spoiler 520.00
Side Under Body Spoiler 390.00

MarkUp Offer (3% above Invoice) 898.50

Base Price Offer 30,848.50
Destination Charge 480.00
Total Accessories (MSRP) 1,658.00

Total Vehicle Price 32,986.50

Now as for the shortage of cars excuse, I recently visited my dealer in Oakland for my 15k mile checkup and was chit-chatting with the sales guy who sold me the tls months back. He's relatively honest and I have yet to catch him on lie. When I asked how business is doing, he replied back telling me that suprisingly the bad economy isnt hitting them as much as he'd expected (if at all). There was a few RSX's on the lot and as usual the CL's in general arent as popular. as for the TLs he told me that it was a good thing when I bought the car when I did because now, they have a 1 month back order on any new TLS. They did have one on the lot though, but unfortunately it was that nasty green color that they've been having a hard time selling.
Old 10-02-2001, 03:36 PM
Casual Observer

This may not be a big help but my guess is that any new information is worth having.

I bought a Satin Silver 2001 CL-S with Nav this past Sunday and I paid $30,231. This was in the San Diego area.

The dealer gave me the line about there being a shortage of cars as well. I wouldn't buy it for a second because he had the same 7 cars on Sunday that he had a week ago on Sunday. So even if they are not getting many new cars, they really aren't selling the old ones very quickly.

Also, where the TL-S and CL-S really out-powered their price-range rivals in the past few years, there is tons of competition now from Nissan/Infiniti (with the new horsepower ratings and new engine).

I'd start at the invoice price you get from Edmunds.com or Carsdirect.com and then remind the dealer of the economy, the competition, and the 2% holdback that he is going to make regardless of what price he sells it for.

Good luck
Old 10-02-2001, 04:36 PM
Intermediate

edgalang,

I thought you bought your car in April. I remember reading your post and I tried to use that as a good reference. I deal you got was too unbelievable. I was thinking about going to the Oakland one myself, but I guess right now is not a good time because everywhere in the Bay Area everyone is saying ~$33,000.

Glad to hear that you got a good deal on your ride. I'm jealous and envious at the same time.

And thanks for posting the numbers.

Do you think they'll give me a better deal if they know I'm buying accersories along with the car?
-mushen
Old 10-02-2001, 04:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts
Do you think they'll give me a better deal if they know I'm buying accersories along with the car?
Absolutely! Overall, they are going to make more off you because they will turn a profit on the accessories too. Since I tend to load my cars up with manufacturer accessories (heck, this is just how Acura sells "options"), I have found it to be an effective bargaining chip.

By the way, I don't know if you read my earlier post but it would probably be worth your while to call the Monterey Acura dealer and talk prices. Since they've got multiple TL-S's sitting on the lot, I bet they would be willing to deal more easily.
Old 10-02-2001, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by mushen826
edgalang,
-mushen
Sure....just whatever you do dont buy the wheel locks and trunk tray. Not worth it. I used the accesories as my bargaining chip by offering them whatever the retail price listed on the acura web site. although if I were to ever do it again, I'd buy it bone stock (except for the ac black wood kit, since Tim's are different) and buy EVERYTHING else from this site. Well.....lesson learned. The money I could of saved would of been a free spoiler.
Old 10-02-2001, 06:45 PM
Intermediate

edgalang,

Who did you deal with in the Oakland Acura. Give me your name and I can say that I know you and refer you so you be in good terms with them.

I'm talking to a Jai Smith. You know him?

Anyways, if I buy my parts here, who's going to put them in for me? Don't I have to pay more for labor? I'm not handy with cars at all. I'm down with just stock and not worry about it. But maybe if I read more, hang out with people that are into cars, I might get into it as well.

-mushen
Old 10-02-2001, 08:24 PM

The person I delt with the most is the fleet manager Robert Munoz and the General Manager David Fanning. Those 2 are no-nonsense and would rather not sell you a car then for you to come back unhappy. When ever Robert is not around John takes over. The people that I've delt with have been around that branch for a while, so no rookie sales people for me! All they needed to do to get my business was that they offered to do whatever it takes for me to do business with them. I basically asked Robert to first show me how to drive it (just use your imagination on that one) and then I came back a few days later and asked them to price match THIS! (I slapped a low ball price on em that the other dealers were in the middle of considering) Then after looking at it for a few minutes......he said......sure.

Either way I could find some reasons why they may not think Oaklands customer service is not up to par as others around, since I dont see them as the type to kiss ass. They are more of the no BS no pressure type of service all around. I've also noticed that they've bumped up the quality of customer service in their Service department Area. If you ever decide to get your car serviced in Oakland I would seriously reccommend dealing with Daryl.

Now as for buying your parts online........well.........i cant help you there, since my take on it is, if you arent capable of installing it yourself, then you dont deserve to have that mod. But then again thats comming from a guy who cant justify getting a wing since the labor or putting one on is more than the price of the wing itself.
Old 10-03-2001, 12:34 PM
Intermediate

edgalang,

Thanks for your input. I think I'll get the accesories at the dealer. hehehe. I don't want to be a "want-a-be". But I will buy the all season floor mats here. hahaha.. I can install that.
Old 10-04-2001, 12:15 AM

Any dealerships not on commission?

Last year my wife and I bought a new Nissan Pathfinder thru the Costco connection of dealers. Got $500 over invoice. We were put in contact with Marina Square Nissan in San Leandro. Their sales team didn't work on commission and were all salaried. They actually helped each other with all our questions, service and purchasing. My question to those who've purchased their Acura's in the Bay Area is, are there any Acura dealerships in the area that don't work on commission? And has anyone used the Costco discount for their TL or TL-S? This being my first real car purchase I was pleased that we didn't have to bargain and haggle for an acceptable offer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Did anyone get any extra bennies for going to a specific dealership like free car washes or oil changes, just curious if any dealers have more to spend on their clientele.

Thanks.
Old 10-04-2001, 12:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I bought my TL from Steven Creek Acura. I did not negotiate. I just used carsdirect.com's price and have them beat it by $300 in accesories.

this was back in the days when TL are so hard to come by, I had to wait 1 month for my car.
Old 10-12-2001, 11:47 AM
9th Gear

I just bought a TL-S(NBP) for my wife October 4th from Dan Dixon at Acura of the Desert near Palm Springs. Yea it was 100 miles from my house, but he gave me the best deal around by far.

$29,200 + tax + license -Non-Nav
Out the door was $31, 678 and included spalsh guards, wheel locks & trunk tray.
Old 10-12-2001, 12:06 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Deptrai
I just bought a TL-S(NBP) for my wife October 4th from Dan Dixon at Acura of the Desert near Palm Springs. Yea it was 100 miles from my house, but he gave me the best deal around by far.

$29,200 + tax + license -Non-Nav
Out the door was $31, 678 and included spalsh guards, wheel locks & trunk tray.
That is a good deal. Congrats and welcome to the club.
Old 10-12-2001, 01:11 PM
Intermediate

Deptrai,

Damn that's one hell of a deal. Luck Bum. Have fun driving.
Old 10-12-2001, 06:02 PM
Intermediate

bought mine (may) in the bay area for 32,000, tl-s w/ navi and spoiler, mudguards, wheel locks. don't go to steven's creek.

you can go to oakland and get that price.