Im getting the famous swirl marks

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 04:59 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im getting the famous swirl marks

I presume all the members w/ the black TL understand.. I got into an accident a few months back, the idiot body guy supposely put to much clearcoat on my car, leaving my car dull. It didnt stop there he also buffed my car w/ the wrong sponge(i dont know whats its called). Anyways i got swirl marks, how do i get rid of them...
1)what kind of car wash soap do u guys use, and what kind of towels?
2)and for the interior, is the armor all 2-pack good, the leather cleaner and the regular cleaner ok..
3)wax, what can i buy to get rid of the swirl marks, and what kind of wax..and duration b/c i heard to much time causes more damage..alot of questios i know, but im tired of paying big bucks for a job i could do on my own...
Old 04-16-2002, 05:09 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Don't take it to the carwash.

Go back to the shop and have them re-buff the area where they painted. They're not supposed to buff the car w/sponge(I am not sure where you got that from??) but if they used proper clear, those should be buffed off easily. Good Luck!!
Old 04-16-2002, 05:33 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Don't take it to the carwash.

Go back to the shop and have them re-buff the area where they painted. They're not supposed to buff the car w/sponge(I am not sure where you got that from??) but if they used proper clear, those should be buffed off easily. Good Luck!!
Old 04-17-2002, 03:05 AM
Instructor

if i think we are talking about the same mark, it's hard to get rid of... you mean those really really thin swirl marks that look like spider webs when you look at it in the sun right? thas something you just gotta live with as long as you have a black car... but if thas not it, i have no idea what to tell you or to help you.. here are my answers to your questions

1) i usually use dish washing soap... it's made to get grease off so it works pretty good... and i just dry with regular towels like the ones you use at home... that leathery towel thing (i forgot the name) works well too...
2) for interior care... i just use anything out there... someone tell me if they have a favorite
3) i use mqguire wax... usually leave it on until it looks crusty.... you gotta buff that sucker out though.... if not, it leaves like a greasy, oily spots on your car... so BUFF IT.... people with black cars should know what i am talking about

of course, this process will take about 2 hours and + so good luck!
Old 04-17-2002, 06:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally posted by Control
if i think we are talking about the same mark, it's hard to get rid of... you mean those really really thin swirl marks that look like spider webs when you look at it in the sun right? thas something you just gotta live with as long as you have a black car... but if thas not it, i have no idea what to tell you or to help you.. here are my answers to your questions

1) i usually use dish washing soap... it's made to get grease off so it works pretty good... and i just dry with regular towels like the ones you use at home... that leathery towel thing (i forgot the name) works well too...
2) for interior care... i just use anything out there... someone tell me if they have a favorite
3) i use mqguire wax... usually leave it on until it looks crusty.... you gotta buff that sucker out though.... if not, it leaves like a greasy, oily spots on your car... so BUFF IT.... people with black cars should know what i am talking about

of course, this process will take about 2 hours and + so good luck!
YIKES :wow: Please don't follow these instructions.

Use a good car wash soap. Meguiars makes an enexpensive soap that comes in a 64 oz bottle.

Go and buy yourself an Absorber from your local auto parts store. It's a synthetic chamois that works really well. It will dry your car and not create any more swirls.

I use 303 protectant for all interior areas. Lexol is also good for the leather, Vinylex is good for the plastic and dash

Wax - Meguiars is very good. I would recommend it to the recreational detailer. Stick to the Gold Class product line and you will be fine.

The only way to truly remove swirls is with an abrasive. I didn't have swirls, but some minor microscratching on my car. I used 3M's Swirl Mark Remover with a Porter Cable oribital polisher and the paint came out beautiful. This is probably not a DIY project. I've been in the detailing business for a while now.

I agree with Songoku, take it back to the body shop.
Old 04-17-2002, 10:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

3m swirl does the job!

i used an orbital buffer , that stuff removed a bra shadow from the clearcoat!!! then was re zainoed, i was very inpressed !check out the 3m website! theyhave a full line of excellent car care products! kman www.3m.com/us/ swirl remover is a must! part # 39109
Old 04-17-2002, 11:28 AM
Instructor

thanks for the help..I guess what i meant where buff marks, i know about the spider web, thats something im not going to worry about..Anyways i did take my car to the body shop, but the guy is an idiot. I got to an accident a few months back, the 1/4 panel and grill where smashed. So like a responsible idiot i took it to a guy who whould not charge me the detuctable(never again). He made my car look dull. I took it to a place by my house and the guy said the previous detailer put to much clearcoat.

The bodyshop guy will pay..
Anyways, my car looks super dull, and like i said before, the marks you can see when its the sun...So what u guys are telling me is; get the removal from 3M, and use a buffer machine w/ wax, and hopefully ill be ok???
*any tricks i should know before doing something i never tried??
Old 04-17-2002, 11:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Exclamation if the clear coat is dull because

it's worn down by the body shop guy, the 3m swirl will make it duller! it has abrasive properties, lighter than compound. if the clear coat is fine and just dulled but has swirl marks, the 3m should do the job , then followed up by multiple coats of zaino , or whatever you use!? kman
Old 04-18-2002, 08:38 AM
Instructor

multiple coats of zaino*

Im sorry but Zaino is, a form of wax???
So w/ 3M, I should be able to get rid of the buff marks, and of course follow w/ wax..allright sounds good....
Old 04-19-2002, 02:53 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd agree with NSXNEXT. Take it to get professionally detailed and have them use the orbital buffers to get the swirl marks out. That's the only way you're going to completely remove them from your car. After you get that done, make sure that you are the only one that washes your car. A couple trips through one of those car wash machines and the swirls will come right back. The local Acura dealer washed my car twice even when both times I specifically asked them not to, so they paid the whole tab ($150) to get my car detailed.
Someone mentioned using Zaino which is a polymer polish. Their one polish, Z5, will fill in swirl marks until you can't see them but will not remove them from your clear coat. The web site is www.zainobros.com and the stuff is pretty incredible.

casey
Old 04-19-2002, 12:16 PM
Safety Car

I have FP Red and have some noticeable spider webbing on the hood

:sigh: thats the one time i miss my light colored car -- u usually didn't notice them