idea for exhaust (*help*)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 03:02 PM
Peach Tea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
idea for exhaust (*help*)

Ok I was so close to getting HKS exuaust but I decided to take a look at my other options. Today I went to an exhaust shop and they said they can do full cat-back 2.5 inch piping, no resonators, for $350. I will have to buy the mufflers I want and he puts them on the pipes. This will save my factory piping in case I want to sell the car. OR I was thinking about just welding some mufflers on but this would also hurt if I were trying to sell the car. I know a place that I can get mufflers I like for around $210 for both. OR should I just rip off the resonators and weld some mufflers on. Can resonators be put back easily?
Any opinions would be great, I've been trying to solve this exhaust problem for about a year. I need help!
thanks
Old 05-07-2002, 03:13 PM
Racer

Im not going to be much help because Im suggesting you go for the HKS. It looks and sounds so sweet.
Old 05-07-2002, 03:45 PM
JD7
Rizzie's the color!

Anyone have any pics of HKS on a TL?
Old 05-08-2002, 12:55 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by JD7
Anyone have any pics of HKS on a TL?
side view...

side view after extension...
Old 05-08-2002, 07:30 AM
Racer

Man, what a difference with the extensions :wow:
Old 05-08-2002, 08:20 AM
JD7
Rizzie's the color!

Those look really nice!! Good job with the extensions also

BTW- How do they sound? If you can explain it, like is it deep, loud,etc. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2002, 11:05 AM
CBS
Banned

Re: idea for exhaust (*help*)

Originally posted by badazzTL
Ok I was so close to getting HKS exuaust but I decided to take a look at my other options. Today I went to an exhaust shop and they said they can do full cat-back 2.5 inch piping, no resonators, for $350. I will have to buy the mufflers I want and he puts them on the pipes. This will save my factory piping in case I want to sell the car. OR I was thinking about just welding some mufflers on but this would also hurt if I were trying to sell the car. I know a place that I can get mufflers I like for around $210 for both. OR should I just rip off the resonators and weld some mufflers on. Can resonators be put back easily?
Any opinions would be great, I've been trying to solve this exhaust problem for about a year. I need help!
thanks
Yo badazz what's up? I have a better and cheaper idea! Just go to your local market and buy two large Folgers coffee cans(empty them or let your parents use them) and weld them on your car. It'll be hella nice too.

What's the deal with the VA meet?

CBS
Old 05-08-2002, 11:07 AM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Re: idea for exhaust (*help*)

I was thinking about just welding some mufflers on but this would also hurt if I were trying to sell the car. I know a place that I can get mufflers I like for around $210 for both.
Welding mufflers??
$210 for both mufflers??

Go with HKS!!!
Old 05-08-2002, 11:10 AM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
KHS Vs. Comptech

I attended my first Acura meet last weekend. Two cars (parked side-by-side) one had KHS mufflers and the other had Comptech.

IMOHO, the Comptech both looked better and sounded better by leaps and bounds.

Mike Smeezy

Anthracite 2003 TL
17” Type-S Rims
H&R Sport Springs
Rear Deck Spoiler
35% Full Tint
3” Exhaust Tips
Old 05-08-2002, 04:05 PM
Peach Tea

Re: Re: idea for exhaust (*help*)

Originally posted by CBS

Yo badazz what's up? I have a better and cheaper idea! Just go to your local market and buy two large Folgers coffee cans(empty them or let your parents use them) and weld them on your car. It'll be hella nice too.

What's the deal with the VA meet?

CBS

How you been dude? I haven't heard from you in awhile. We are going to have a lot of people meeting up but noone is sure when. we'll keep you posted
Old 05-08-2002, 04:07 PM
Peach Tea

kobe98: what was involved when doing the extension? what all did the shop have to do and how much were you charged? thanks
Old 05-08-2002, 10:01 PM
Instructor

kobe98: what was involved when doing the extension? what all did the shop have to do and how much were you charged? thanks
The shop had to cut the pipe on the muffler and add an extension (pipe). They cut the hanger on the muffler where the rubber holds it and weld another towards the back on the muffler so you can use the rubber to hold it.

I'm not sure if this is the only way it could be done. I think shyne's was done differently.

It doesn't look too dirty or anything because of the cutting and welding. I think it's worth it.

Hope this make sense.
Old 05-09-2002, 06:04 PM
Peach Tea

Originally posted by kobe98

thanks! I think Ill go with the HKS
Old 05-09-2002, 08:06 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The shop had to cut the pipe on the muffler and add an extension (pipe). They cut the hanger on the muffler where the rubber holds it and weld another towards the back on the muffler so you can use the rubber to hold it.

I'm not sure if this is the only way it could be done. I think shyne's was done differently.
Naw...his was done the same, I saw the pics. One thing that concerns me though is that the pipe will be ALOT hotter than the canister. I wonder if the rubber hanger can withstand the heat in the long run. My best bet is that you follow Shoofin'TL's example and use heavy duty rubber/chainlink hangers if you notice that the rubber hangers start to brittle.

I have the Thermal R&D axlebacks...so far so good. I hope I don't have the same problems with the HKS burning the bottom of the rear underbody spolier. (The main reason why you should extend...not for just looks)
Old 05-09-2002, 09:01 PM
Peach Tea

Originally posted by edgalang

how much is it gonna cost me to extend it? I think it looks very nice. Does HKS sound like aftermarket exhaust? I don't just want exhaust for looks. Should I still consider taking out my resonators?
Old 05-09-2002, 11:56 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by edgalang

Naw...his was done the same, I saw the pics. One thing that concerns me though is that the pipe will be ALOT hotter than the canister. I wonder if the rubber hanger can withstand the heat in the long run. My best bet is that you follow Shoofin'TL's example and use heavy duty rubber/chainlink hangers if you notice that the rubber hangers start to brittle.

I have the Thermal R&D axlebacks...so far so good. I hope I don't have the same problems with the HKS burning the bottom of the rear underbody spolier. (The main reason why you should extend...not for just looks)
Thanks for the suggestions. Do you know where I can get those hangers?

Don't you want to extend yours? Does the exhaust sit as far in as the hks? It cost me only $50.
Old 05-10-2002, 12:21 AM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions. Do you know where I can get those hangers?

Don't you want to extend yours? Does the exhaust sit as far in as the hks? It cost me only $50.
I guess eventually. But for now...I dont think it's a necessity. The only reason why I would is because I was afraid to burn my rear lip...but after driving around with it, there has been no signs of any damage so I guess I'm still good. I'm really hesitant about messing around with the structural integrity of the mufflers.