icebox install - engine surge at idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 07:40 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
icebox install - engine surge at idle

Well folks, just got done installing my new Icebox on the 2002
Tl-S today. I had a hard time getting the hoses to run right, the larger of the two hoses (breather hose?) seems to be about 2 inches too short so It kinks when it makes the turn for the fitting on the bottom of the icebox. Otherwise it's all in ok. Or so it looks. However, now when my car is at idle there is a surge/vibration/studder at idle. Keep in mind this is with the A/C off. The idle is perfectly smooth for about 5 seconds and then there is a small shudder in the wheel, it's almost not noticable except you can feel it in the bottom of the seat when you're sitting there. It runs smooth for 5 seconds and gives a little shudder. The pattern continues to cycle over and over again..Smooth..shake..smooth..shake... If you're looking at the engine you can see its totally smooth and then it gives a little shake, like it has a hickup or something. I dont know what is causing this. I've read over the other posts and dont see anyone with a problem related to the icebox. I was wondering if maybe I did something wrong or maybe the computer isn't able to adjust to the difference in air flow since it was calibrated for the stock intake. I wouldn't mind the shuddering other than its very annoying at idle since my mind constantly is distracted by it.
Any input? Please advise...
thanks,
chris
Old 03-12-2004, 09:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: icebox install - engine surge at idle

Originally posted by crombie1000
Well folks, just got done installing my new Icebox on the 2002
Tl-S today. I had a hard time getting the hoses to run right, the larger of the two hoses (breather hose?) seems to be about 2 inches too short so It kinks when it makes the turn for the fitting on the bottom of the icebox. Otherwise it's all in ok. Or so it looks. However, now when my car is at idle there is a surge/vibration/studder at idle. Keep in mind this is with the A/C off. The idle is perfectly smooth for about 5 seconds and then there is a small shudder in the wheel, it's almost not noticable except you can feel it in the bottom of the seat when you're sitting there. It runs smooth for 5 seconds and gives a little shudder. The pattern continues to cycle over and over again..Smooth..shake..smooth..shake... If you're looking at the engine you can see its totally smooth and then it gives a little shake, like it has a hickup or something. I dont know what is causing this. I've read over the other posts and dont see anyone with a problem related to the icebox. I was wondering if maybe I did something wrong or maybe the computer isn't able to adjust to the difference in air flow since it was calibrated for the stock intake. I wouldn't mind the shuddering other than its very annoying at idle since my mind constantly is distracted by it.
Any input? Please advise...
thanks,
chris
Unfortunately many of the TL's seem to have this problem, and I'm one of those. I'm wondering if it has to do with your icebox...because I'm stock and yet have this problem also. It almost feels like the car is shivvering. Don't worry about it, it's so called normal by acura...no worries.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:21 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: icebox install - engine surge at idle

Originally posted by sc354
Unfortunately many of the TL's seem to have this problem, and I'm one of those. I'm wondering if it has to do with your icebox...because I'm stock and yet have this problem also. It almost feels like the car is shivvering. Don't worry about it, it's so called normal by acura...no worries.
Thanks for your response,
I'd agree with you except that I didn't notice it before the install so now i'm kind of unsure. It could be that I'm just spending more attention to the engine noises now that I have it installed. But i'm pretty sure i never felt the pulse at idle before, its a vibration that comes up the wheel and up the seat and gas pedal.
Thanks again,
Chris
Old 03-12-2004, 10:10 PM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My car did the same just after I install the icebox. It also doing the surge when changing gear (the rpm fall after go to the next gear which is normal, then sudden jump in few hundreds rmp, then fall down to normal again) Did your car happen the same? After few days of driving, the problem disappear which lead me to believe the chip is adjusting to new air/gasoline ratio since I did not reset by disconnect the battery. You might try to disconnect the battery to see if it help.

Hope it helps,
LV
Old 03-12-2004, 10:18 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by LacViet
My car did the same just after I install the icebox. It also doing the surge when changing gear (the rpm fall after go to the next gear which is normal, then sudden jump in few hundreds rmp, then fall down to normal again) Did your car happen the same? After few days of driving, the problem disappear which lead me to believe the chip is adjusting to new air/gasoline ratio since I did not reset by disconnect the battery. You might try to disconnect the battery to see if it help.

Hope it helps,
LV

thats a very interesting point. I didn't disconnect the battery. I wasn't aware that the computer re-adjusts after a battery reconnect. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow. I figured that whole batter disconnect part of the instructions was just incase you shorted something out in the car during the install, but i used drop cloths to cover each part of the car I worked on to protect it. Is there a problem with a stereo code if the battery is disconnected. Anyone else know about this computer rest?
Old 03-12-2004, 11:14 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by crombie1000
thats a very interesting point. I didn't disconnect the battery. I wasn't aware that the computer re-adjusts after a battery reconnect. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow. I figured that whole batter disconnect part of the instructions was just incase you shorted something out in the car during the install, but i used drop cloths to cover each part of the car I worked on to protect it. Is there a problem with a stereo code if the battery is disconnected. Anyone else know about this computer rest?
Yeah, your gonna need your Radio Code + Navi. Code (If you have Navi.) if you disconnect your battery.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:14 PM
Pro

You'll have to re-enter your radio code (and navi if you have it) if you disconnect the battery.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:20 AM
Instructor

So today I disconnected the battery for an hour and reconnected it all up, set the radio and went for a test drive..the engine was running all out of whack. At a stop light - in gear - the engine would try and stall out..all the dash lights would dim and it would almost stall. the rpm's dropped so low that I dont know what saved it from stalling out. this happened several times at each light for several lights on the way to work. I hope it works itself out because I dont know what else to try.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:12 AM
On the way!

It will work itself out. It takes about 45 minutes of driving to calibrate the computer. It's all in your manual if you want to read up on it (p 317-318 on the '02 manual).
Old 03-14-2004, 04:02 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by LacViet
It also doing the surge when changing gear (the rpm fall after go to the next gear which is normal, then sudden jump in few hundreds rmp, then fall down to normal again) Did your car happen the same?
LV
Yeah same problem, I was driving along today in 2nd and hit the gas it seemed like the car was going to stall for a second, the engine soared, took a dip, found the gear and took off. the whole process took maybe 5 to 6 seconds, but its something it didn't do before. It was always a very quick and solid shift. Is that what yours did?
Old 03-17-2004, 06:26 AM
Advanced

Has your car settled down yet? I'm thinking about getting an Icebox for my 03 TL-S, but want to make sure it doesn't mess up my car's drivability.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:01 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by pej7445
Has your car settled down yet? I'm thinking about getting an Icebox for my 03 TL-S, but want to make sure it doesn't mess up my car's drivability.

Actually its doing very well. The engine is running better than ever. The only problem I'm seeing now is there's a longer pause between gears during the shift. It's like there's a little slip or something before it catches. I didn't notice that before. I wonder if thats a sign my tranny is starting to go. the rpm's drop pretty low between gear shifts.
Any ideas?
Old 03-18-2004, 02:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Mine did it prior to the icebox install and after, I think there is a TSB out on the issue, getting ready to take mine in for that laundry list of issues before my warranty runs out. I'd just about guarantee that it ISNT the icebox causing it.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:03 PM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I did not feel the stall on the car when having icebox, but I do notice the tranny takes little longer to upshift compare to before. Before install icebox, there is a split second delay when upshift, especially between 2nd and 3rd when rpm up to more than 3500rpm, but after install, it seem a little bit long to shift. Other than that, everything else is perfect.